Digging dogs!

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Ok so I read through the threads here about what to do to help stop digging. I don't own my place so I can't have a yard that looks like it was attacked by mortars. I'm also trying to get some grass to grow in it as I'm required to do, but my dogs just wont stop with the digging!
I've put their poop in the holes and buried it, they just find a new place. I'm going to put chicken wire up under the fence because Lily escaped this morning (long story but 4 yr old didn't want to listen to her cuz she had to go out to pee and he wanted to watch cartoons so he let her out in the yard and she dug her way out at around 5 this morning [yes she is crated but he can manage to let her out somehow] :confused: )
It isn't because they are left out in the yard for very long, I mean I take them out and they both immediately start digging their way to China...with me standing right there going :yikes: I try to redirect them, they just won't stop, so I remove them from the yard and back into the house to avoid having to fill in landmine holes.
Sandboxes aren't exactly allowed because of the damage they do to the grass and they have lots of toys for indoors etc. They also get their walks and still they dig when they get back from a walk...

Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions to help stop this behavior? I wouldn't mind so much but they've destroyed what little grass was coming in (after hydraseed) and they will only spray it so much before I have to pay for it...I just want a decent yard that doesn't look like a training field for soldiers, is that too much to ask?

MoonStr80

Obessed with Dogs
ROFLAMO I put Johnnie sh*t in the hole where she digs, it does help! Just need to keep the dog occupied not bored etc etc If you catch the dogs digging bring them in the house

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Oh I catch them alright, I go outside when they go potty and they start digging right by my feet :yikes: so I drag them back in after a sharp "EH!" -
I ended up having to rake and re-seed my entire lawn tonight...it just has too many bald spots to please me and what has grown in is thin and weak looking...just sad, lol.
Everytime I bury one of their "lawn cookies" in a hole they just find another place...I imagine within 6 months my entire lawn will be covered with dog sh*t about 6 inches down. Some days I don't have enough dog poop to put in every hole so I have to try to divide it up or wait until later to fill the hole...

Isn't that sad? When do you hear a dog owner complain they don't have ENOUGH dog sh*t in their yard!

MoonStr80

Obessed with Dogs
Well I mostly don't fill them up with poop... I'd usually get her mind to something else, BUT if she's still obsessed about that hole I drag her ass in the house like you said etc etc

also I wouldn't allow them to bring out the treats b/c they'll dig and dig to hide them

Sometimes I'll buy bricks to put in the holes as well it works too!

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
No prob. The worst spot is by the cement patio area, they have managed to dig completely under it...oh and my fence, but I'm going to chicken wire it tomorrow.

MoonStr80

Obessed with Dogs
Alright... My yard is half cement and small parts of grass areas I'll have to take a picture, lucky we don't have to worry about our dogs trying to dig up to the other side or whatever reason lol

Whatever you can find I'm sure will work! Best of luck :)

Members online

No members online now.