what to put in kong?

poeluvr

weird as it may be i just found out poe doesnt like peanut butter, which i think is making him not bother with the kong. The kong is a very important peice ofr our puppy class, and she reccomends it. Anything else i could put in it. It is really small, for a small dog, so i know thats not it. and i did it properly

Y

yuckaduck

Just an idea, Yukon does like Peanut Butter but the kong is hugh so I don't offer every night. How about breaking up treats/cookies into small pieces and stuffing that in and then just putting a bit of cheese wiz over the opening to hold it together. Might work, might not. Good luck. There is also stuff you can buy called kong stuffers it comes in a can but I have never tried it so don't know if it is good or not. :)

Y

yuckaduck

Yeah but I'm cheap so I break them into tiny tiny sliver like pieces. No whole biscuits given here.

Here's some ideas!

I found these at: www.lauriebryce.com/tplo/kong_recipes.html

Kong Filling Recipes

Most of these are frozen and can be made softer or harder depending on how good the dog is at "excavating" the Kong. The frozen recipes can also be put into ice cube trays or other containers.

When filling Kongs, you’ll need to plug up the smaller hole if the filling is liquidy, so it doesn’t fall out. You can also plug the larger hole to make it harder for the dog to get the filling out. Some things you can use to plug the holes: a piece of fruit, cheese, dog treats, peanut butter, veggies, or anything else that will fit. You can also add dog biscuits, fruit, or veggies (or whatever your dog likes) to the Kong along with one of the recipes below, to make layers or mix in.

Veggie Kong Omelette
• 1 Egg
• your choice of shredded cheese
• any vegetables that your pet may like
Scramble egg, fold in vegetables. Put into Kong Toy. Sprinkle some cheese over the top and microwave for about 20 seconds. Cool thoroughly before giving to your dog. Makes 1 serving for Medium Kong. Double the ingredients for larger Kongs.

Peanutty Pupcicles
• 1 ripe banana
• 1/2 cup peanut butter
• 1/4 cup wheat germ
• 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
Mash bananas and peanut butter, stir in wheat germ. Chill 1 hour. Place in Kong, store in refrigerator or freezer.

Frozen Peanut Butter Yogurt Treats
• 32 ounces vanilla yogurt
• 1 cup peanut butter
Put the peanut butter in a microwave safe dish and microwave until melted. Mix the yogurt and the melted peanut butter in a bowl. Pour mixture into Kong and freeze.

Fruity Yogurt Treats
• 2 kiwi fruit -- mashed (or jar baby food fruit)
• 8 ounces strawberry yogurt -- or other
Mix together, freeze in Kong or ice cube tray. Serve.

Yogurt Pups
• 16 ounces plain nonfat yogurt
• 3/4 cup water
• 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
Dissolve bouillon in water. Combine water and yogurt in blender and blend thoroughly. Pour into Kong or other small containers for freezing, cover and freeze.

Pup Pops
• 2 chicken or beef boullion cubes
• 3 cups water
Dissolve boullion in water. Pour into Kong, small styrofoam cups or ice cube tray. Freeze. Serve frozen.

Frosty Paws #1
• one part instant oatmeal
• two parts water
• instant chicken or beef bouillon powder
• (optional) large glob of peanut butter
Mix and let sit for a few minutes until the oatmeal absorbs most of the liquid. It isn't even necessary to heat it. Spoon into Kong and freeze. Some other suggestions to add: yogurt, pureed liver, garlic, pureed vegetables.

Frosty Paws #2
• 1 banana
• 4 oz. plain or fruit yogurt
• 2 oz. water
Process in blender or food processor till smooth. Pour into old frosty paws cups, Kong/s or something similar. Freeze and Serve.

Homemade Frosty Paws #3
• 1 quart vanilla yogurt
• 1 medium banana
• 2 T peanut butter (I use natural style)
• 2 T honey
Puree the banana in a food processor (a blender would probably work fine). Add the peanut butter and honey and continue processing until smooth. Add yogurt and process just long enough to blend all ingredients together.

Place 18 small paper cups (bathroom size) in a baking pan (one 9x13 or two 8x8 work well). Fill paper cups to about 2/3's full. An ice cream scoop or a measuring cup makes the job easier. Or fill Kongs. Freeze until solid. Frozen Jerky Pops
• Bouillon
• Jerky Strips
• Water
Fill a bowl with cool water and add a pinch of bouillon. Place into muffin tins or Kong, place a Jerky Stick inside and freeze.

Bananarama
• 1 fresh banana
• 2 tbs wheat germ
• 1 tbs plain yogurt (can use your pet's favorite flavor as well)
In a bowl, mash up banana. Add wheat germ and yogurt. Mash all ingredients together and use spoon to add to a Kong or muffin tin or cups. Freeze for 4 hours.

Pugs Pops
• 1 Quart fruit juice
• 1 banana, mashed
• 1/2 cup yogurt
Mix ingredients together thoroughly, then freeze. This can be eaten by people too.

Poochie Pudding (named after my dog Pooch)
• Stoneyfield Farms whole milk yogurt, plain or vanilla
• 1 banana
• 1 peach or nectarine (peeled)
• strawberries or 1 apple (whichever the dog likes)
• 1 dog biscuit (bone-shaped)
Steps: Mash the banana and the peach/nectarine (or put in blender). Slice the apple or strawberries into smallish chunks. Push a chunk of fruit into the bottom hole of the Kong to stop leaking. Mix the banana, peach/nectarine, apple chunks or strawberries and grapes into the yogurt, then pour the mixture into the Kong. Push the biscuit into the large end of the Kong.

Freeze for about 3-4 hours or until consistency of frozen yogurt. Can also be served unfrozen, for impatient dogs (warning: it can get messy!) Bon appetit!

These last two are actually dog cupcake recipes, but they can be stuffed into a Kong while warm and soft.

Apple Crunch Pupcakes
• 2 3/4 cups water
• 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1 medium egg
• 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 4 cups whole wheat flour
• 1 cup apple, dried
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, mix together water, applesauce, honey, egg, and vanilla. In a large bowl, combine flour, apple chips, and baking powder. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until very well blended.

Pour into greased muffin pans. Bake 1 1/4 hours, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry. Store in a sealed container. Makes 12 to 14 pupcakes.

Doggie Cheesy Carrot Muffins Mix in a large bowl:
• 1 cup all purpose flour
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1 tsp. baking powder
• 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
• 1 cup grated carrot
Mix in small bowl, then add to above:
• 2 large eggs
• 1 cup milk
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Cook at 350 degrees, 12 minutes for mini muffins, 20-25 for large muffins.

poeluvr

THANK YOU GUYS VERY MUCH! poodlesmom thankyou for the many recipies i will give em' a try:)

bubbatd

Wow poodlesmom... that's more fixing than I do for me !!!! Lea... the whole doddie treat is harder to ge out than pieces

I also just put in his regular kibble. Sometimes entire meals are fed via the kong if I know I'l be busy for most of the day. If I really want to keep him occupied for a bit I mix kibble and canned food, stuff the kong, and freeze it (great for summer!)

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
right now i have a kong in the freezer with cheese spread on the inside and then frozen and then two of his doggy treats stuffed inside and then sealed with peanut butter and frozen some more :D

dani12

This might sound silly but I bought a Kong for our puppies and put a treat in like you are supposed to. They ate the top part and the rest fell inside. Are they ever going to be able to get it out? It almost seems like torture to give it back to them :) Maybe they are just too young to have it?

brandynq

I just bought one yesterday and Flash is using it for the first time today. I put a bunch of his food in there and then sealed it with peanut butter. He really loved it but once the peanut butter was gone, the food came out really quickly. What should I do to make it harder for him to get to the food?

Tippy is nuts about banana, so I mash a banana and stuff the kong with it. I'm tempted to freeze it if I'm going to be gone for a while, so it'll keep her busy. They also like kibble mixed with things.

Y

yuckaduck

Wet the food slightly so it freezes. I only stuff peanut butter in mine so I freeze that. But there are so many different things you can use and the doggy's love it. Good luck.

champagne

Kaine likes yogurt,cream cheese (any flavor),peanut butter,bannanas, canned peaches and pears,any kind of cheese,dog food,treats,eggs, umm I could probably put anything in there :). he LOVES to eat.

Raika's Mom

Iggy and Kitty Mom
Too funny...I just got Raika a kong yesterday but I got her the extra large size (it says german shepherds on it) It's slightly too big for her mouth right now, so she noses it around and gets mad at it. We put just a little peanut butter in it last night, but from what I read here, do you fill it all the way? Hers is so big! It does do wonders to keep her busy!

nedim

I made a home-made kong for Peanut the other day. I just cut one of her hollow plastic chewing balls on top, stuffed it with peanut butter and froze it. She was occupied for hours trying to get all of it out.

Staff online

Members online