Staffordshire Bull Terriers?

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
I assume they'd fall into the same BSL traps that the other bullies would, wouldn't they? I've really taken a liking to these little guys, but don't want to own something that I'd possibly have to fight to keep later. (Collies are about as safe as you can get for a medium-large breed when it comes to BSL).

cricketsmygirl

Angels in waiting....
Edit: I read that wrong....SBT's do have a lot of BSL as well, beings they are a pit bull breed however any breed can be subject to BSL and I wouldn't let that keep me from owning such an awesome breed.

Amstaffer

I assume they'd fall into the same BSL traps that the other bullies would, wouldn't they? I've really taken a liking to these little guys, but don't want to own something that I'd possibly have to fight to keep later. (Collies are about as safe as you can get for a medium-large breed when it comes to BSL).
Well...yes they are often linked in BSL but their personalities sure don't warrant it. In their country of origin the are called the "Nanny Dog".

Your collie is safe now but BSL are like Lay's potato chips.... The list just looks so lonely with just a couple of breeds. We have to fight all BSLs, otherwise you'll have crazy people like Fairfield Iowa spread to you home town.

elegy

overdogged
depends... pit bulls are outlawed in england but staffy bulls are not. but i think largely in the US that staffy bulls do fall under the same stupid bsl nonsense as other bullies.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Well...yes they are often linked in BSL but their personalities sure don't warrant it. In their country of origin the are called the "Nanny Dog".

Your collie is safe now but BSL are like Lay's potato chips.... The list just looks so lonely with just a couple of breeds. We have to fight all BSLs, otherwise you'll have crazy people like Fairfield Iowa spread to you home town.
Trust me, I know that! I regularly attend anti-BSL events. In fact, I'm going to a Responsible Pit Bull Awareness Day (with my Collies) next weekend. We all support the good guys! :p

I was just curious if people had seen the SBTs on the 'pit bull' ban lists ...

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Edit: I read that wrong....SBT's do have a lot of BSL as well, beings they are a pit bull breed however any breed can be subject to BSL and I wouldn't let that keep me from owning such an awesome breed.
My problem is that I don't want to own a dog that I may be forced to give up later. I'm in Florida ... Pit Bulls are illegal in counties South of me. Who's to say that they won't move those rules up the state? :(

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
BSL be damned. We all need to fight like h*ll against it.

I would not let that sway my decision for a pooch.

I met a bull terrier in a conformation class I recently attended. He was beautiful and sweet. I think "goofy" would have been a better descriptive term.

He was brindle with a blaze down his face... :)

I've actually looked into the minis. They're irresistible. :)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Typically they do fall under the BSL because they have "pitbull-like physicaly characteristics"...so do many Labs, but why let something like common sense deter a good ol' witch hunt? :rolleyes:

Pitbulls are very banned in Denver county, but many of the surrounding counties don't. Westminster ended up being a haven for those in Denver county who were faced with the choice of moving or giving up their dogs. It's close enough to the city to still be a feasibly option, but with less hysteria. I see pitties at the park quite often.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
were we used to live they had a huge list of banned breeds. Including rare bullie breeds like fila's and pressas. Pitbulls and AmStafs but no Staffy bulls.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
the biggest issue with the staffy is...
they look enough like a "pit bull" that even if their actual breed name isnt on the list, they would be mistaken for the APBT and that could get you in deep water also...

then again most of those pushgin for BSL and those enforcing it wouldnt know a "pit bull" if it realy did bite them on the butt...my frined was told her less wrinkled pei was a pitbull, anothers lab mix is absolutly a pitbull, boxers and boxer mixes MUST be at least part pitbull, ect, it doesnt matter around here at the very least, shoudl bsl hit this area thered be a huge number of not even remotly bully breeds off to the chopper.

heck jasper man is an african wild dog, Dodger is a fennic fox, Vixie is a red fox cub and the list goes on...

Bsl effects EVERYONE, one day its pit bulls, the next its pit bull like dogs, the next its "dangerous breeds" (and everyone has their own definition) soon enough itll be all breed within a certain weight range or all black and tan dogs ect...(because if its black and tan it MUST be part doberman...) the whole thing is ridiculous...
theyd do a much better job banning stupid people, and putting effort into educating dog owners...

i mean heck, some places have BANNED Clothes lines for goddess sake...yes folks in some towns and communities it is ILLEGAL to dry your clothes outdoors...why? because some folks dont liek the way it looks...
there trying to make it illegal in our town to grow vegatables on a front facing lawn, here its not uncommon for the lawn to be all in the front/road side with the house sat at back of the property...
but vegatables look unsightly when they start to wilt, some vegatables have "sexual shapes" ect...

people dont need a real reason to say "nope dont like it" beyond looks and a staffy (and they are wonderfull little powerhouses though prone to dog/same sex agression like most other bully breeds) looks close enough to an AmStaff or APBT to be an issue.

sad to think that if they put this much effort into whiping out other crimes rather than worrying whos got what dog, whos drying their clothes outside and whos vegatables look like a penis, the world would be a much Nicer place for all!

xpaeanx

I would be surprised if they weren't a BSL breed.

We have one that trains at the same facility I do... he's in a class right before mine... so I always have to walk past him to get to the class room...

Unfortunatley he's very DR... and he sounds incredibly scary... I know about DR and sometimes he's cought me off guard and scared the beejeezus out of me... So I can't imagine people who don't know about dog behavior seeing a dog like that walking around and being ok with it...

It's really sad..... :(

Amstaffer

I would be surprised if they weren't a BSL breed.

We have one that trains at the same facility I do... he's in a class right before mine... so I always have to walk past him to get to the class room...

Unfortunatley he's very DR... and he sounds incredibly scary... I know about DR and sometimes he's cought me off guard and scared the beejeezus out of me... So I can't imagine people who don't know about dog behavior seeing a dog like that walking around and being ok with it...

It's really sad..... :(
If dog aggression was the reason for BSLs then every breed of dog would be on the list. Dog aggression can be found in every breed.

xpaeanx

If dog aggression was the reason for BSLs then every breed of dog would be on the list. Dog aggression can be found in every breed.
oh, I know... it's just that Terriers sound and look really scary. They have that great big deep chest that lets the bark kind of bellow around and then come out... so combine that with their looks... most people who don't know about dog behavior are more scared of the "bully" terriers in general... then add all the bad PR... and anything that "sounds" scary or "looks" like a "scary pit bull" is automatically bad. That's just what I was saying.

Members online

No members online now.