Help with starting a small business?

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I'm considering starting a small business selling personalized dog t-shirts. I'm going to make some "test" shirts and see how they turn out, and try selling them on eBay or something to see how it goes.

If I do decided to start a business, what are some good tips? I figured since there are several people here that have their own businesses selling collars, leashes, etc, that I could get some pointers?

My plan for now is to make a couple samples, then if it goes well, make an eBay store and a website. What's a good way to advertise?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions but for now this is it!

Thanks in advance! :D

hanslynch

If you are going to make the products yourself, take a look at ETSY. It is designed for people that make their own products.

A good way to start advertising pretty cheaply and easily is through twitter and facebook. Start off slow, engage with people (be social). You can use your blog for the same purpose.

Defiantly look into starting a page on ESTY. I've know several individuals that create and sell their own stuff using ESTY. eBay is also a good option, but I never had any real good success there. If you an experienced eBayer you might do okay...I'm not! Creating a website for your company is a good idea, but they can be real costly at the very beginning. If you think that's a direction you'll want to go I would defiantly recommend looking into a domain name.

As far as advertising I'd start by utilizing Face book and Twitter. One of the hardest things I've found is getting your name out there and remembering to be patient. Good luck and if you need any advice or help let me know.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Thanks both of you! I'm definitely still looking into this, but it's on the back-burner for now. I'm also thinking of doing dog photography (plus my original idea). But I'd want it to be more focused on the photography than the apparel.

Barb04

Super Moderator
If you get your photography business up and running, maybe you could offer your clients t-shirts with he pictures on them also as well as other items.

If you are going to make the products yourself, take a look at ETSY. It is designed for people that make their own products.
This. Etsy Rawks, and is super easy to use. I've sold custom pet portraiture on there and really liked the sites functionality and design

WackyJacki

I've been selling on Etsy since March of last year and love it! When you decide to get your business up and running, please feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to offer up some pointers and resources! :)

Members online

No members online now.