11 yr old spayed now humping

Barb04

Super Moderator
My 11 year old spayed terrier for months has been humping our 2 year old neutered anatolian. Does anyone know why a female spayed since 6 months old would out of no where start humping? Our anatolian, Max, who was neutered at 6 months old is very annoyed but this doesn't stop CJ, the female. Thanks for any help.

Asserting dominance. She's seeing Max become an adult and getting beyond her "jurisdiction" and she doesn't want to relinquish her position as leader.

It's a Terrier thing. My little Mickey kept Purdue (my First GSD) firmly convinced that she was BIG DOG (all 12 pounds or so of her) until he was four years old. The thing that turned it around was the day she got her leash tangled in his legs, got mad and started biting at the backs of his legs. He turned around and snarled at her and snapped in her face - purely reflexively - before it registered that it was Mickey doing the biting. The look on those two dogs' faces was priceless! Purdue suddenly realized how much bigger and stronger he was - and so did Mickey. He never abused his new position, but after that he took care of her, and she didn't boss him around any more.

At some point, Max will probably straighten things out. Just keep your eyes open. Max doesn't sound like he'd ever try to hurt her, but you just need to be aware of what's going on - as you are. Just keep reinforcing that you are a family, a pack. Pack members don't hurt other pack members, even when they discipline.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Thanks, Renee. We always keep a watchful eye on Max & CJ. For the most part, they are best buddies and great together.

It's really amazing the way most of the big dogs put up with all sorts of various aggravations from little dogs. My Bear would let little ones we ran across on our walks get by with murder, snarling, growling, barking, even nipping his ankles, when he never tolerated a dog near his own size or larger so much as snapping. An aggressive move from another dog always got an instantaneous pin with Bear holding it down by the neck and growling until the dog would lay still. He never hurt another dog; he never was the aggressor; he just didn't put up with disrespect.

The little ones, though . . . he just looked at them like they were from another planet and went on. My three now are the same way. There's a miniature Schnauzer in the trailer park that they let out every now and then and he'll invariable come up our driveway looking for trouble, growling, barking, lunging at Bimmer and the girls. They just ignore him and step over him. Once in awhile they'll stop and put their faces down to examine him. For some reason that seems to make him homesick, lol!

There used to be a Jack Russell over there (they moved away) who loved to go hunting in the woods with Bimmer. It was such a 'movie moment' to see the two of them meet in the lower pasture, then trot into the woods together, noses to the ground, tails waving in the air - Bimmer's huge plume and the Jack's funny little stub tail. Bimmer's got a funny little hop he does when he's in high spirits and the Jack even started doing that too.

Barb04

Super Moderator
LMAF picturing Bimmer & Jack in the pasture together!

Can't wait to hear when we will be getting our next puppy (maybe soon). Max went to the vet for a checkup the other day when out comes a 14 week old German Shepherd puppy. Max was like a puppy himself. He just wanted to play and play. I cherish the moments watching Max at 34" at the withers going down on the floor trying to play with a puppy; it's so cute!

Members online

No members online now.