Getting a 29 gallon

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Upgrading finally once I finish moving in. I haven't set up a new tank in a long while.

How do you guys usually go about transitioning fish and decorations to a new setup? I have a 10 gallon with some tetras and another 10 gallon with some other tetras and a cory cat. Total now are 10 tetras and the cory. Most the plants are live plants. My filter and heater on the one work up to 30 gallons. But now I'm realizing I'll need the two tanks to be running at the same time so that could be a potential issue.

Also if I have 10 neons and a cory, what else should I put in the new tank? I am definitely thinking another few cories. They're fun when they're in groups.

I really want to try a low-tech planted tank too.

Last edited:

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Depends. If I'm literally moving from one tank to the other, I just put the fish in a container with old tank water, move all the stuff to the new, fill the new with dechlor water, allow new tank to reach desired temp, and add the fish and filter. If there's a difference in water chemistry or temp, I float the fish first like I would with new fish I just purchased.

If you have to get a new filter, just split the media from your old and have each tank's running partly on old media and partly on new.

As for what fish to get...wait til you know new tank is stable, then I agree on giving the cory some company. Other than that I'd go for some sort of centerpiece larger fish that's okay with the neons, like some of the gouramis.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I'd get the tank running with your up to 30 gal filter and you'll basically have an instant cycle. It'd probably help to put some gravel from one of your established tanks, and some old tank water too. You can put your current fish in there right away, but wait a week or two to add anymore fish. And when you add new water to the tank use prime or other dechlorinator, but I'm sure you know that.

What do you mean you'll have to run the two tanks at one time? Aren't you putting the fish together into the 29?

ETA: As for suggestions for other fish, I agree with more corries, I think they like groups of 3-6. Also, you could try an angelfish. There's concern of it eating your neons, but I've read that if you get it as a baby and it grows with them, they'll leave them alone.

Last edited:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well I was assuming I'd have the ten running while I cycled the 29, or is there no need to do that?

Any good planted aquarium links?

I like the gourami idea a lot. I've always wanted one, they're so pretty! Which kinds would be okay for the tetras?

Oh the endless possibilities...

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
No need to cycle the 29g if you are moving over everything from the 10g. Just be careful to keep the filter media wet in old tank water (don't let it dry out), dechlor the water addition, and watch everything for a week or so to make sure nothing gets weird. Your cycle, ie. the bacteria, should move along with everything else.

FWIW I've moved from one tank to another many times and never had a problem.

What sort of planted aquarium links are you looking for? Info on plants, galleries of pics, how-tos, etc.?

And congrats on the soon-to-be 29g...it's a great size of tank. Versatile yet small enough to be moved by one determined person, no floor structural reinforcements needed, etc.

Oh and btw my earlier post was brought to you by my smart phone ;)

Assuming you get a bigger filter for the 29...

Set up tank, add dechlor, float fish a bit then run both filters at once.

Cories are a group fish, so get more of them. I like a group of about 10 personally.

~Tucker&Me~

Laur, I would avoid angelfish... Too aggressive, they need a larger tank and tbh they are a huge PITA imo ;) I also agree with more cories, not only will they love the company, but they are also adorable in big schools of 8-12. Have you considered getting into shrimp? I would either keep two large schools of neons and cories w/an army of shrimp or I would go with some dwarf cichlids like German Blue Rams or Scarlet Badis. Dwarf cichlids can be easy to breed and are much more interesting in terms of behaviour that gouramis or angelfish, imo. I would get the tank planted and cycled THEN think more about how you want to stock it.

Good advice has been given in regards to making the tank move. The most important thing is to use the same filter media. Using old tank water and gravel won't really do a whole lot, the filter media will be the big one. Also, if you don't have them already, go pick up a few test kits (the big three most important are ammonia nitrites and pH, though I also like having nitrates kicking around). You will want to test your water at the 3 day mark, the 6 day mark, the 12 day mark... And after that, if everything comes back clean you should be in the clear.

How low tech? Are you planning on injecting CO2? If so feel free to pm me anytime with questions. Actually, feel free to pm me whenever with ANY fish questions :p I did a low cost, DIY CO2 system and got great results with it.I grew plants up the ying yang and had a kickass shrimp tank.... So yeah, any questions and I would be more than happy to help :D

P.S. - I went from a 10g to a 29g a few years ago and the difference in size is going to make you SO happy.... I now officially have MTS and you will too ;) (multiple tanks syndrome).

Oh and I second that ^ The Planted Tank is a great forum.

Uhhh, Badis aren't cichlids. They're in their own family, Badidae. All cichlids belong to their own family, Cichlidae.

Members online

No members online now.