Pregnant Shih Poo question

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Hope everything goes well! Looking forward to pics.

Just a comment. Please don't advertise them to homes as 'shihpoo' crosses. Please don't feed into the designer mutt fad. No reputable people sell shihpoos, or schnoodles. Sometimes rescues will use those terms to try to get more homes, but really they are crosses. There is no such 'thing' as a 'shihpoo' there might be a general type of dog that falls into that broad category.... but there is no consistency of type or temperament like there are in breeds. Its not that I think crossing dogs is bad (done correctly I am all for it) its that its marketing a dog in such a away as to be deceitful.
^ This! Please advertise them as the mixed breeds they are. The cutesy names don't do them much favours.

That said, I've been quiet because I don't know the first thing about dog pregnancies/whelping, but overall I think you're doing a great job out of this accidental litter. Please keep us posted, and please spay her when the puppies are all placed. :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
It sounds like you're doing really well with them. :) Definitely would like to see pictures of the puppies!

noludoru

Bored Now.
Anyway, we didn't think we had anything to worry about with her becoming pregnant and so we have not been in a rush to spay her, she is utd on all her vaccines and our vet didn't push for the spay (she is a great vet so please don't think she told us to breed) I must sound like a broken record but really it was a complete accident, we will have her spayed as soon as the pups are weaned, my spouse and I have discussed it and we will be speaking with our vet about it on friday when we go in.

I have potential homes for 3 puppies as it stands and they are all people we know. So I am confident the pups will be well cared for and properly vaccinated and de sexed.

We have a low cost spay/neuter clinic where I live and I will contact them in regards to the desexing of the pups. I do know that our local SPCA will spay/neuter at 8 weeks of age but I wasnt sure how safe that was so I have not yet looked into it.

Thank you for your help, I take no offence to your comments what so ever, I appreciate your concern for the animals and am glad you are honest.

Thanks
I'm glad! :)

In any case, I understand that. I guess I'm just biased since I've seen so many "oops" litters that could have been easily and cheaply prevented with younger neuters that I have a different perspective. It's good that you have homes - even if you know them well, remember to do vet checks though. Get their vet's info and ask if all their pets currently are UTD on shots and spayed or neutered before you place a puppy with them.

In small breeds, pediatric neuters are pretty safe. You should probably keep them until 10 weeks anyway, so there will be more than enough time for neuters while you have them. If you had a great dane or something I wouldn't have even recommended it, though, as it has some growth effects in large breeds that aren't the best thing ever. But in cats and small dogs it's routine with most responsible rescues. They don't like placing intact animals into new homes.

Thank you....

We will most def be spaying her so this NEVER happens again, as for the listing for the puppies, she is a shih tzu cross poodle as is the male, I am curious as to why refering to her as a Shih Poo (which is short form for the 2 breeds) is not an acceptable statement? I am curious because I see these names for mixed breeds all the time.
For example-

Puggle
Labradoodle
Schnoodle
Yorkipoo
Pugapoo

These dogs have kind of confused me except of course the Schnoodle because I own one and can see why someone would want him(but I am totally biased)

I will be listing the pups as Shih Tzu/Poodle Mix. Let others call them what they want.

Thanks every one for all the help, you are by far the most help I have gotten in the past couple days.

I look forward to talking with all of you more and learning as much as I can before my girl whelps.

I will be keeping you posted.

I'm glad! :)

In any case, I understand that. I guess I'm just biased since I've seen so many "oops" litters that could have been easily and cheaply prevented with younger neuters that I have a different perspective. It's good that you have homes - even if you know them well, remember to do vet checks though. Get their vet's info and ask if all their pets currently are UTD on shots and spayed or neutered before you place a puppy with them.

In small breeds, pediatric neuters are pretty safe. You should probably keep them until 10 weeks anyway, so there will be more than enough time for neuters while you have them. If you had a great dane or something I wouldn't have even recommended it, though, as it has some growth effects in large breeds that aren't the best thing ever. But in cats and small dogs it's routine with most responsible rescues. They don't like placing intact animals into new homes.
I will be talking with my vet friday about the pediatric spay/neuter for the pups before they are rehomed. thank you for the information:D

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
It's because unfortunately a lot of people think thee are actual breeds when you don't put mix. It's the same when people put hybrid because they think it's something completely rare and special. Plus these kind of names were brought on by unsavoury people that wanted to make their puppies seem "more special" that the more favoured purebred dogs.

Just because the parents are the same mix doesn't make the pups automatically a purebred, doesn't work that way. Unfortunately people think it does. Especially puppy buyers, you wouldn't believe how many "purebred *insert breed here*-poo" people i get per day at my shop. It's awkward.

I'd also suggest stating this was an oops litter in whatever ad and only charging enough to cover shots and pediatric spays (which are rather safe for small breeds, most will bounce back right away), basically the bare minimum enough to just cover what care they get (though you might want to prepare for a c-section as shih-tzus tend to not have natural births... Plan to have enough set aside for around $700-1500 for a c-section).

Dekka

Just try me..
We will most def be spaying her so this NEVER happens again, as for the listing for the puppies, she is a shih tzu cross poodle as is the male, I am curious as to why refering to her as a Shih Poo (which is short form for the 2 breeds) is not an acceptable statement? I am curious because I see these names for mixed breeds all the time.
For example-

Puggle
Labradoodle
Schnoodle
Yorkipoo
Pugapoo

These names are used to scam more money out of people. Who pays 1200 for a mutt?.. lots of people if you call them a labradoodle ;) With the possible exception of a small group of labradoodle breeders there is no such thing as an ethical breeder of these dogs. These tend to be terms used by scammers and people who dont' know better. So many people think these are 'breeds' or a type of dog. And they might be a type in the broadest sense. But are no where near a breed. They are just cutsie made up names used for people who normally would be embarrassed to own a 'mutt' in many cases, or to convince them to pay a lot for unhealth tested dogs with no tracking or titles.

Mutts are great. People advertising dogs as 'somethingpoos' are trying to imply that is a 'thing'. It decieves people into thinking they are getting a set type of dog. The problem is that none of these crosses breed true to give you a type. It does the dog a disservice when someone thinks that they are getting a jackapoo just like their friends. But there really isnt' a set of characteristics that make up a jackapoo. It could be like a poodle, it could be like a JRT. It might be nothing like either of them cause chances are the parents are bad examples of the breed... Its not fair to the dogs to advertise them as something they are not. People can then be upset when they don't act as expected.

It's because unfortunately a lot of people think thee are actual breeds when you don't put mix. It's the same when people put hybrid because they think it's something completely rare and special. Plus these kind of names were brought on by unsavoury people that wanted to make their puppies seem "more special" that the more favoured purebred dogs.

Just because the parents are the same mix doesn't make the pups automatically a purebred, doesn't work that way. Unfortunately people think it does. Especially puppy buyers, you wouldn't believe how many "purebred *insert breed here*-poo" people i get per day at my shop. It's awkward.I'd also suggest stating this was an oops litter in whatever ad and only charging enough to cover shots and pediatric spays (which are rather safe for small breeds, most will bounce back right away), basically the bare minimum enough to just cover what care they get (though you might want to prepare for a c-section as shih-tzus tend to not have natural births... Plan to have enough set aside for around $700-1500 for a c-section).
I would never advertise them as a purebred, when it all comes down to it they are a mixed breed dog. I got lucky (I use the word loosly) that the male was of the same mix. They will be listed as what they are.

As for the C-section, I have money aside for my pets vet bills at all times. I am prepared for anything being a mom and pet owner you have to be.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥

Here, I fixed the picture for you (wasn't showing up for me) she's beautiful!!!

Good luck with them, you sound like a GREAT owner. :)

Thank you, I agree she is beautiful.....she is groomed there you should see her when her hair grows out...its funny.....:D

Dekka

Just try me..
She is pretty cute. A dead ringer for a yorkie/poodle cross posted the other day on another forum. I had to double check to make sure it wasn't the same dog lol.

The other thing to be aware of crossing two cross bred dogs of the same kind don't give you more like the parents. Some will likely come out looking more poodle or more shih tzu. This is why these aren't breeds ;) So saying they are a cross is good. But most people think it will be a first gen cross. That is why the designer dog breeders don't make strains of 'shnoodles' etc.. because they don't breed true.

milos_mommy

You also might want to have a trainer or behaviorist evaluate the puppies temperaments and review potential homes, to pick which puppy goes where based on what they provide. A puppy who comes out with a very shih tzu personality/temperament is probably going to need less exercise than one with a very poodle-type temperament. Even if you don't do that, be prepared for puppies with a variety of personality/temperaments and be careful making sure each one goes to a home that's going to suit it's exercise, grooming, and training requirements.

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas, I have been reading as much information on both breeds as I can. I was aware that the pups could be anything from a shih tzu to a poodle and something in between, the people I know who would like pups are also aware of this as I made sure to tell them there is no sure way to know what they will look like or act like.

On a totally different note, I think I felt movement today, my dog lays on me or the tiles and while she was laying on me about an hour ago I had my hand on her stomache and am almost positive I felt movement close to her ribcage. It was exciting, I asked my spouse to feel and was told that I wasnt going crazy. :lol-sign:

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
This thread was a pleasure to read. Great responses, great attitudes, people should be proud of themselves :)

Hope everything went ok and that mummy is well. Glad you've considered the pups futures and are getting them altered early.

Pics!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.