Its worse

I don't get this. Why would you encourage breeding a dog that attacks others unprovoked? I have met bitches that only tolerate other bitches and dogs that only just tolerate other dogs, but a dog that flat out wants attack a dog that it has been raised with? sorry...I don't care how many ribbons a dog has won...a dog that attacks others in that way has a few screws loose upstairs. Scary.
All dogs aren't Labs. Nor should they be.

EDIT: Saying a Doberman who doesn't like other dogs shouldn't be bred is about as ludicrous as saying a Fila who doesn't like people shouldn't be bred :rolleyes:

I don't get this. Why would you encourage breeding a dog that attacks others unprovoked? I have met bitches that only tolerate other bitches and dogs that only just tolerate other dogs, but a dog that flat out wants attack a dog that it has been raised with? sorry...I don't care how many ribbons a dog has won...a dog that attacks others in that way has a few screws loose upstairs. Scary.
Owners do not catch every sign a dog would. in every fight there is always an agressor (one who offers agressive behavior, which was Jazz). I honestly feel Jazz was testing Emma and the situation, or else Emma would have been seriously injured by now. If she where to REALLY attack, Emma would be dead (sorry to put it so bluntly).

Just FYI, your oh so precious sweet labs aint so sweet. I've observed labs at dog parks in public ect, and in the last week I've witnessed 3 lab attacks.

Unfortunately, owning such breeds there is no gurantee if the dogs will get along forever. Especially females, as I've stated before.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I fail to see how the lab comments do any good for the purpose of this thread. Why don't we keep the thread on topic and take anything else to a new thread if there is a desire.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Have you taken EMMA to the vet? When Ted was sick, toward the end, with his cancer (not saying Emma has something like that) we had a lot of random attacks from Bear who was always buddy buddy with Ted before. But if there's something that's changing Emma's chemistry, how she smells, etc, it might be causing Jazz to react badly. Just another thought.
<3
I would also be looking closer at Emma - I've seen some dogs (in other households, so no personal experience here) that would attack a weaker/sicker/elderly dogs unprovoked; somehow a "survival of the fittest" if you will. Maybe Emma is having the beginnings of an Addisonian crisis and Jazz senses the weakness? Wouldn't hurt to check her levels if she hasn't been in recently.
I know that most of this has already been covered and I may be repeating a little, but I had some similar thoughts to the above quotes. That maybe it has something to do with Emma's condition being unstable with the Addisons?

I was dog-sitting a pair of keeshonds overnight this weekend. One is epileptic and prone to seizures and he is on daily medication. Normally, the two dogs are buddies with each other. However, the night I was there, the other dog woke up at 3am and instantly attacked the epileptic one, whom was asleep and completely unprovoking. I mean REALLY attacked, too. I managed to get them apart without any real harm being done, and I had to keep them separated the rest of the night and the next morning because the one would NOT leave the other alone. Even if he saw the other through a baby gate he went ballistic trying to get through to him.

Sure enough, 12 hours later the epileptic one (the one being attacked) had a seizure. My friend (who was dog-sitting the next night) was there when it happened, and once it was over and the meds were all given, the other dog went back to normal as well. The owners were just as shocked as we were, because this dog had NEVER reacted that way with the seizures before.

I realize that story may not help out as much... but I hope it does. I agree with Redyre that it's probably best to keep them separated all the time now, at least until you find out what is really going on. But like the others ahead of me said; in addition to keeping an eye on Jazz, keep an eye on Emma, too. There might be something going on with her that Jazz is picking up on that you can't see yet.

I hope it gets better soon! Sending some good vibes your way!

ACooper

As if to say if she was provoked, it would be okay? :confused:

And to grab a sleeping dog by the head and then proceed to shake because she is simply laying next to, or around, a bone? I find that a bit scary.
Yes Nik, saying it could have been provoked is MUCH better in this case. (still scary though)

Dobes are same sex aggressive in many cases (as has been stated) and Emma sleeping on/with that bone could be viewed by Jazz as provoking. Much better than no reason at all.

I wish you luck Jenn, Orson does not like other boys at all, a situation that developed just months ago :( It's a pain to deal with, but I am lucky that there are no dogs in the house............he defers to Phoebe's wishes (thank goodness)

Jenn, something to keep in mind as a possible part of the equation is all the turmoil that's hit your life recently, along with your own pregnancy. That could affect Jazz a great deal. She could also be coming into season.

Unfortunately, you've had the perfect storm of events to unsettle your dogs, then add in the fact that Jazz IS getting more mature.

S

Squishy22

I dont know if I would equate simply SLEEPING near a bone to be provocation. Its not like she was chewing it, sniffing it, sleeping ON it, or even looking at it. She was sleeping... showing absolutely no interest in that bone. Minding her own business. In fact, if the bone was lying near her, then it seems to me that Jazz would not have attacked if the bone was clearly assesable for her to grab. I dont know why that would push Jazz over the edge or any DA dog for that matter. I guess it depends on how close to the bone she was sleeping? I could be wrong, but this just doesnt make any sense to me one bit. I second getting her thyroid checked. I am leaning towards health related.

I could be wrong. I am not an expert on dog aggression. I've never even heard of a dog attacking a sleeping dog. Would I breed?? Well, thats not for me to say, because I am not a breeder, but I do know that I might be weary if I were a buyer.

Females do not get along in many different breeds. My moms pug and my chihuahua hated each other with a passion. Right now I am having a problem with my chihuahua acting aggressive with Reggin. They are opposite sex. They are banned from the couch because of it.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
OUch, difficult one. I am sorry you are going through this and I sincerely hope that a professional will be able to assist you.

Hillside

Original Twin
I dont know if I would equate simply SLEEPING near a bone to be provocation. Its not like she was chewing it, sniffing it, sleeping ON it, or even looking at it. She was sleeping... showing absolutely no interest in that bone. Minding her own business. In fact, if the bone was lying near her, then it seems to me that Jazz would not have attacked if the bone was clearly assesable for her to grab. I dont know why that would push Jazz over the edge or any DA dog for that matter. I guess it depends on how close to the bone she was sleeping? I could be wrong, but this just doesnt make any sense to me one bit. I second getting her thyroid checked. I am leaning towards health related.
You wouldn't? You have never seen a dog chase another dog away from thier owner, favorite spot etc? Being near a resource can count as being in possesion of it. As GSD said, people don't catch every little sign that dogs do.

I'm also going to have to second what Red, Dr2, Renee and Coop have already stated.

Females do not get along in many different breeds. My moms pug and my chihuahua hated each other with a passion. Right now I am having a problem with my chihuahua acting aggressive with Reggin. They are opposite sex. They are banned from the couch because of it.
Yeah, my mom's chi pup (same age as GSD pup 9 months) is starting to become agressive (I'm assuming because little dogs often mature faster) with my GSD. And he's marking all over the house (annoying he hell out of me) and is just out of control. But they are both males. But according to Koko (the little one) he's 200lbs and can take on the world :rolleyes:. My GSD is such a good boy though, just gives me the sad puppy eyes like "get this thing away from me please...".

Members online

No members online now.