Anybody NOT recommend their breed?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I was thinking about this the other day. Zeus is a sweet, lovely dog. I never hesitate to recommend blackmouth curs as a great choice of dog.

But catahoulas on the other hand....I dunno. As much as I love Voodoo, and as wonderful a dog as he has grown into, I really, REALLY hesitate recommending this breed to people. Even when you know what you're getting into, they are such a challenging breed to raise. Besides, who in their right mind would want to deal with a Chaos Demon anyway? :lol-sign:

Anybody else not really recommend their breed?

R

RedyreRottweilers

There are many people and many times I do not recommend a Rottweiler to people, as much as I love them.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Yup. I wouldn't suggest a malinois to someone unless they were experienced with drive and energy and prepared to do something active with the dog.

I also tend to shy away from recommending pemmies. They can be great pets, but there are still a lot of working lines in the breed and some of them can be quite a challenge. They are very cunning, they tend to be mouthy, they get bored easily and when a corgi gets bored, they get creative in some less than desirable ways. Aggression is not uncommon in the breed.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I wouldn't recommend a GSD to a first time dog owner, nor a JRT or Border Collie. Some of them make really great pets, but unless you know exactly what you are getting into with them, then I usually don't recommend them. Especially because of the working lines. You tend to see a lot of working line Aussies around here especially, but they could, given the right training, be great house pets, the potential to screw up is high.

If they are dedicated to it, yeah it could work, but if not, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Mostly though, when people ask me for a breed recommendation (which happens a lot) I get a feel on what they are expecting out of a dog, whether they have dogs at home or not, and then what they are looking to spend on a pup or adult dog, and get their email address to send them some good breeder websites, as well as dogs and puppies that are in rescue that I think will fit them. It's worked out well several times now.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Yes, I don't recommend a Border Collie or Aussies to, almost, 98% of the people I know. :)

Last edited:
I don't recommend Alapahas to most people. They are a high energy, high drive dog with natural protective tendencies. Though definitely not the most difficult breed out there, I hesitate recommending them for people who have never owned a difficult breed before.

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
I would not recommend a Borzoi. They like a quiet calm life. Gentle touch and do not care for chaos. They need a " tuned in " owner as a bark is rare. How my dogs tell me someone is here is to pace and look. A casual glance means something. They do not like boisterious other dogs or even people. A friend of mine talks loud, and they literally leave the room when she comes.. They are not a dog to fawn over a stranger. Not shy- just not fawn..

I don't recommend dachshunds to people with children, or Chihuahua's for that matter. I don't recommend JRTs/JRT mixes to MOST people lol.

Toller_08

It's very, very rare that I recommend Dobermans or Tollers to people. Neither are a breed that I think would be well suited at all to most people.

xpaeanx

I would not recommend a Borzoi. They like a quiet calm life. Gentle touch and do not care for chaos. They need a " tuned in " owner as a bark is rare. How my dogs tell me someone is here is to pace and look. A casual glance means something. They do not like boisterious other dogs or even people. A friend of mine talks loud, and they literally leave the room when she comes.. They are not a dog to fawn over a stranger. Not shy- just not fawn..
haha, they sound just like me! I dont' like loud people either... I keep my phone on vibrate bc THAT is even too much noise for me.

Maybe it's just the breeds that I have, but yeah, I *DO* recommend collies to people. I think they're a fantastic choice for someone who wants a moderately active herding breed. For a family that has fallen in love with the looks of the Aussie but doesn't have the knowlege or ability to deal with their training and energy needs? A collie can be a GREAT choice.

In the case of the spitz, I *DO* promote them heavily, but generally to other dog people. I think they are going to be a VERY competitive breed in performance as they get more popular. I also promote them somewhat to pet people (but tend to send folks to Pom rescue more often, as there just aren't tahat many spitz breeders out there.) They're big enough to be a bit more durable than Poms and some of the toys with kids, but small enough to be a reasonable pet in almost any living situation. They're energetic but not horribly so- they really DO have the ability to settle.

I'm much more cautious about the Cardis. They can just be so darn hard-headed, and a badly-trained spitz (or collie) is just bratty- a badly trained Cardi can be a menace.

Corgipower, I know we've differed on this before, but I really don't believe there are any 'working' lines of Pems left. That's generally a fallacy promoted by people who live on a farm and have Pems, not people who actually work them on stock or critter with them.

All three of the breeds I'm involved in ahve their drawbacks. That's true for any breed. But I think that collies are possibly one of the MOST underrated family dogs out there- yeah, they need some grooming, but nothing horrible, certainly not any more than a show-bred Aussie!- and the smooths are readily available. The Spitz can be bratty, but frankly, not any more so than your average spoiled toy dog, and the limited number of breeders means that pet owners WILL get screened and educated prior to purchase. The Cardis are in a similar situation (although it's sort of scary how many BYBs there are compared to when I got my first Cardi in 2001.)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Corgipower, I know we've differed on this before, but I really don't believe there are any 'working' lines of Pems left. That's generally a fallacy promoted by people who live on a farm and have Pems, not people who actually work them on stock or critter with them.
I believe Sizzle's Ada comes from working lines.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
It depends. A lot of people wanting a pap, I talk out of actually because I don't think they understand what they're getting into. A lot of people come in with a pap in mind looking for a calm lapdog that can be left alone long periods of time and doesn't shed or bark. o_O For some reason a lot of the people looking for a dog like that see the pap's dainty appearance and think that's what they need. Well, it's completely NOT. I always mention that they shed, they bark, they're high energy and very smart. And they're also obsessively devoted to their owners and want to be with them all day long. They are a breed that unfortunately by their small size and cute, cuddly look attract a lot of the people that want a baby doll. However, I think they're fantastic little dogs and do not hesitate to recommend them to people that would be good with them. Unfortunately their looks attract a lot of people that really don't need one and tend to not attract a lot of the people that WOULD do well with them. If you're looking for a small sized, capable, very smart and energetic companion, then they might be great. If you want a lapdog, then you need to check out another breed...

I rarely recommend shelties because of mainly their barking, shedding and their propensity to be shy. They require tons of socialization and they also tend to nip at young kids running. I think I've reccommended shelties once.

bubbatd

I sure don't recommend a Golden to anyone who wants an outside dog ! They need petrocks !

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
i don't recommend OES to people unless they understand how much care the coat takes, as well as how much exercise they need!

I don't recommend cattle dogs or cattle dog mixes to people, either.... a lot of dominance and aggression problems.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
And we will most likely continue to disagree on this :D

I know people who have and breed working line corgis. They do work them on stock. They breed specifically for the working qualities.

I believe Sizzle's Ada comes from working lines.
PW, I could be wrong, but Iz and Fro might be from working lines.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I never really get around to recommending Pemmies, people usually get scared off when I tell them all the downfalls of my breed. They're gone before I get to the great stuff :p

Dekka

Just try me..
LOL BP why ever not?

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend whippets to lots of people. They are such great dogs! The JRTs not so much. You really need to know what you are getting yourself into with JRTs (and no it has nothing to do with 'hyper')

Members online

No members online now.