Question about Dogo Argentino and Cane Corso

Are they kind of the same breed when I looked up Dogo Argentino The Cane Corso keep coming up on the pages. They look a litle a like.If they are not the same they are both Mastiff amd i right?

mojozen

bullie lover
I think they might be "cousins" but they aren't the same. I think the Cane is more mastiff than the dogo. Dogo's remind me more of american bulldogs, personally, but others may know more.

NO they are not related the Corso was originally a coursing mastiff and very few do this work. Some argue it is older than a 100 years.

The Dogo is still and was a hunting breed created by one man and is a young breed.

We have many Corso at our Molosser show and I have pics of the Dogo from UKC events..

Last edited:
The Cane Corso is essentially an Italian Bandogge. If you compare the pictures of olden day Neos they looks astonishingly similar to Corsos. I dont know too much on this breed so I have provided a link at the bottom of this post that can you give you a TON more info and is accurate ;)

Dogo Argentinos originated from Argentina (ok that was only slightly obvious hehe) as hunting dogs often for puma and boar. I actually have a buddy who owns a few of them and actively hunts with them. A well-bred hunting Dogo sure is a sight to see!!!! Some people call them ""a pit bull on steroids"" but one big difference between an APBT and a Dogo is that the Dogo has less dog-agression. They must be able to function as a pack after all when hunting they are usually set on a boar in groups plus you also have the baying dogs which they will be working along side. None the less though in their native country they were and sometimes still are used as dog fighting dogs. They make AWESOME family pets too as the guy who bred them wanted a tough dog on the hunt who he could bring into the house with kids at the end of the day. I have provided a link at the bottom of the page that goes more in depth with accurate info about this awesome breed.

Both breeds are very sweet but do best in a home where they will have a job to do. If you are considering one though, check out the BSL in your area first. If there is one against pit bull you may get a lot of grief for owning one as they are often confused as pit bulls or simply get lumped into the category of ""pit bull-type dogs""

For more information check out:

Dogo Argentino

Cane Corso

Oh ya and BTW yes they are both mastiffs ;)

I have CGC ,shown, judged , seen over 1000 Cane Corso.
I dont need to cut and paste links to sites with NO reference material.

The Cane Corso iS not a MUTT aka Bandog.

It may of been at one tme but it has been bred PURE for many generations

REMOVED ?

ADDED in regard to info quality is better than quantity.

Last edited:
Mr E was the former Pres of the ICCF and is now the Present President of the CCAA the club seeking AKC acceptance.
He has appeared on many shows, books and anything Corsi.
He has dedicated his LIFE to studying this breed over 10 + years.
So even with my personal vast knowledge I defer to him.
People with little personal knowledge should NEVER accept what is written on the NET unless REFERENCE material is quoted .
Accurate inforomation simply can BE verified
Opinions can NOT.

Lets say for argument sake the breed became Pure in 1976 or 87 20- 30 years of breeding would MAKE it a Purebred dog NOT a "bandog" thus accurate inforomation should include these facts.

My take
by Michael Ertaskiran

I have found some stark similarities in the paths taken by both Sottile and the recovery team in Italy in the mid to late 1980’s.

Sottile for years while in search of Mastino Neapolitano in Italy had heard stories of a lighter more athletic molossar. “He had never seen one but was intrigued by the possibility of it’s existence”*. Conversely the originator of the breeds recovery in Italy DR Paolo Breber found himself for work related reasons to the southern province of Foggia.
Dr. Breber received a letter from Prof. Giovanni Bonatti telling him "he has noticed in those places a molossoid dog different hair from the Neapolitan Mastiff, similar to the bullmastiff, likeness of the Presa Majorca". The letter went on to say "Prof. Ballotta, eminent dog lover, inhabitant of Romagna, had seen several examples of this ancient Pugliese breed". With Breber’s interest peeked he began the search of this Ancient "molossoid" by seeking out Foggiani who’s memories went back some 50 years.

You may note that Sottile refers to the Cane Corso as “Sicilian Branchero”. This has been on other BB’s a hot topic of conversation, in the same article he explains “Breed names are apt to be confusing, since these dogs have been known variously as Cane Corso, Branchiero Siciliano, Cane Corso di Puglia and Mastino Corso.

This has a ring of truth to me because the Cane Corso was originally recognized Internationally in <1976 >!!by the U.C.I. (Union Cinologica Italian) as the Dogo di Puglia-

Sottile give a brief description of the dog in the afore mentioned tome by Kathy Flamholtz “The Cane Corso is a large, powerful dog. Males stand 24-28 inches at the shoulders and weigh 100-140 pounds. Females generally stand 22-27 inches and tip the scales at 80-100 pounds. The head is quite massive with a broad skull and wide, square jaw. Unlike his cousin, the Neapolitan Mastiff, the Cane Corso does not drool. When presented naturally, the Corso's ears are pendulous. However, most dogs are cropped with a short cut which forms a triangle. A good Cane Corso is a dog with massive bone. His body length is a little longer than tall. The chest is broad and deep, while the hindquarters are moderately angulated and very muscular”.
Sounds a great deal like our present day Ideal for the breed.

, have claimed? There is proof that he held this position.“IL Cane Corso” written by Giuseppe Chiecchi and Giorgio Gualtieri -1st Edition responsibility to establish a Cane Corso club”.

*ICCF newsletter December 1997 - “Interview with Linda Sannino of Diamond S Kennels”.
Linda S was the owner of original of CH. Malucchia of the original Sottile imports.
She was one of the Sottiles closest family friends and met with Sottile the night he
brought this first litter of Corsi to America.

Link for complete store above

http://www.molossermania.com/brd/c/c003/c003b/art/mt.html

Hmmm funny how I said ""essentially a bandog"" not ""is a bandog""

Oh ya something else to keep in mind, The Italian version of the Cane Corso differs from that of the American version and IMHO the Italian version is by far better

Okay how many have you seen? worked judged tested?

According to the over 10 Italian FCI judges I have hosted their today is NO longer a USA VS Italian breed type.

Really better? that is why the Italian Judges who come here put up US dogs over Italian exports.

Bandog does NOT apply period and any profile today that states "essential or otherwise" is INACCURATE..

Dogs are either bandogs AKA crossbreds or they are not NO in between.

tinies12

Both breeds are nice. IMO the Dogo is more impressive. If I were to get one that would be the breed I would go for. Although with the breed ban in Ontario it would not be wise to do.

Amstaffer

Here are some of the Corso I CGC years ago at the CB.
Please by all means tell me which one is American and which ones are Italian.
http://www.planetmolosser.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=256

Then tell me who won under the Import Italian FCI judge?
I am not getting into the argument (cuz I don't know much) but just for fun I would say the Dog be held by the guy with the big beard is the "Italian" import.

Don't forget to tell me if I am wrong or not.

Sorry about the typeos but I went to some site note sure of the link. They put the wrong information saying they are the same breed just called 2 or 3 different names. They need to get there facts right I knew I was not going crazy. The Cane Corso is a little bigger and but they do kind of have the same look of the body. Face look the same but there is stil a difference.

mojozen yes they do like a big American bulldog lol, but when I saw an adult dogo I thought the female was a white Grate Dane but the male yes it was a nice muscular bulid.

dirtmcgirt

Keeper of a Corso & Saint
Okay how many have you seen? worked judged tested?

According to the over 10 Italian FCI judges I have hosted their today is NO longer a USA VS Italian breed type.

Really better? that is why the Italian Judges who come here put up US dogs over Italian exports.

Bandog does NOT apply period and any profile today that states "essential or otherwise" is INACCURATE..

Dogs are either bandogs AKA crossbreds or they are not NO in between.
This is accurate information... In the FCI there is no longer a difference between the US version and the Italian version of the Corso

Keep in mind that there are going to be bad representations of both dogs from recent US bloodlines and from Italian counterparts. So you could get on a plane, fly to Italy tomorrow, buy a Corso, and still end up with a horrible example of the breed. And of course, in the US, the amount of bad breeders is growing daily, just like with every other breed...

Amstaffer

I am not getting into the argument (cuz I don't know much) but just for fun I would say the Dog be held by the guy with the big beard is the "Italian" import.

Don't forget to tell me if I am wrong or not.
No one ever said which is which....did I guess correctly?

Sorry I did not want to rub any salt if u know what I mean.
They are _ALL American bred some with Italian Blood in them according to the CGC papers with US kennel names on them.

Yet you can see the different breed types.

The more massive dogs are US bred dogs from Belmonte lines.
The typical Italian dogs sold here are SMALL and have great CC heads.
Some Lines in Canada have Boxerish head thou NOT boxer mixes.

Yet when Italian judges come here they will pick more US blood than Italian blood.. And they state " no more US vs Italy different Corso"

The reason being is the US founding Corso breeders helped bring the Corso into the new world, and have exported US bred Corso around the world thus influencing the global gene pool.

Are some US Corsi mixes and or Crap?? Of course
But the breed has a over haul in breed type in the last 10 years and is improving yearly.

Point was one should NEVER judge a breed by the few bad apples if the bunch has some great sweet apples as well.

And all because one person recently mixed a Corso X SAB and sold them as pure Corso. this is a Example only _ does NOT mean the breed has SAB in them or in their creation .

And for argument sake lets say they did have Boxer or Neo in their recreation or creation . Generations upon generations ago does that make them Bandogs or mutt? NO it does not.

Almost all breeds start off someone down the line being interchanged with other breed types to create on set type for a set function.

So accurate breed info is essential in stopping or slowing down BSL.
Thus my long winded post :)

I prefer the fawn one in the middle...Kinda looks like a big male version of Athena.
If you're talking about my pics, the red dog is my girl Loki. :)

I just find the size and type comparison between the APBT and the Dogo interesting. In those pics, you're looking at about 80 pounds versus 45. Its amazing how many people think Jedi is a pitboo, or a "what is he mixed with, Great Dane?" Personally, I don't think he looks like an APBT, although I can see why some would be confused.

Great pics :) Like the tongue sticking out
Thanks. If the dogs didn't have a good bit of training, that would've been an impossible shot to get. Not because there's aggression, but because Jedi is infatuated with Loki. It takes him about a week to get over her being around, and he forgets it as soon as they're seperated. He's convinced she needs, erm, servicing. :) And she's convinced he needs his face chewed off when he tries.

Members online