Amstaffs & American Bulldogs

Gguevara

So a friend of mine has been going through the loss of her Akita mix and has been looking into amstaffs and american bulldogs for her next dog. She likes that big blocky head that pit bulls have but they're banned here in Ontario. She's into the scott type bulldog rather then the johnson types and is looking for breeders, so...

Does anybody know any good breeders for either breed in the eastern ontario area?

I also have a few questions myself, does anyone have experience with these breeds and how they fair in tracking and obedience?

Romy

Taxiderpy
Won't amstaff and ambulls be counted as pitbulls under the law? Last I heard it was up to the local municipalities to decide what was a "pit bull", and have heard some horror stories about pure bred labs and jack russels even being confiscated as pits and pit mixes. Is it different now?

Maxy24

If pit bulls are banned the law usually states "pit bull types" which means pit bulls, Amstaffs, Staffies and soetimes other breeds like American Bulldogs and bull terriers. Then they throw in "and anything resembling those breeds" so even if the breed is not banned you better make sure you have papers handy that prove he is not.

American pitbull terriers.
American staffordshire terriers.
And
Staffordshire terriers

are the "pitbulls" and are all banned from ontario. you friend will not find a reputable good Am. Staff breeder in this province. your friend will not find a puppy in this province that is a Am. Staff. as there are no good breeders breeding here and selling any more. plenty of BYB's still breeding. as its hard to miss when I see puppies walking down streets, coming in to my work (grooming shop) and friends buying these dogs. but they are all highly illegal. and being born here is just a death sentence for them. my boyfriends brother had one a few months ago. She got taken away just to be put to sleep all becuase of her breed.

American bulldogs are still allowed. but I would carry regestration papers with me at all times. as AC can say sh eis a pitbull, and thats that. no ifs ands or buts and put them to sleep.

as romy said. black labs and jack russels have been called pits and almost taken away from their families due to the "pitbull" ignorence.

So what type of dog experience does your friend have? has she had dogs? does she know how to train a dog? as bully breeds are beutiful looking dogs. but majority are very hard headed and need a firm good handler.

Gguevara

I thought it was then APBT is banned and any bully breed has to be leashed and muzzled in public, City of Ottawa - New Dog Owners Liability Act (plus Pit Bull Ban) nvm.

She has a lot of experience with dogs, a lot with the "power breeds", like I said she had an Akita mix until recently (r.i.p.)

JRTs and Labs being taken away is just ridiculous, I had a guy flip out and tell me my beagle was a pit bull once :S

So forget amstaffs, I just thought of the Argentine Dogo though

I couldn't find any bulldog breeders that didn't look like BYBs and it's pretty obvious if I can pick up on it haha. I found a few dogo breeders nearby in Quebec though but I haven't really looked through them because I'm in a rush and gotta head out soon.
De La Torrida Dogos - Dogo Argentino - Canada
Lirio Blanco
http://www.dogovalley.ca/
I haven't even asked her if she's into dogos =/ but, I'm guessing she will be. Thanks for all the help again guys.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Honestly, call me paranoid but I would be really really hesitant to bring anything that looks remotely like a pit bull into Ontario. I have heard too many horror stories. Are registration papers even enough? JQP will not be able to tell the difference between a dogo and a pit bull.

Xandra

Well, I will say that there are plenty of members on the presa forum I go to that live in Ontario- and presas look like giant pit bulls, cropped ears and everything. And no one there has had or mentioned any problems... that I know of. It may be that they're in the country where things are typically more lax.

Depending on what your friend is looking for she could check around with hog hunters (I believe there are wild hogs in the East?) and see what they have for catch dogs, they might even give her a cull for pretty cheap, and that would be a "power breed" if anything is. Again, same as with your GSD, it's important to establish just how much dog she's after.

Gguevara

Hey Xandra, she lives in the surburbs and I think people are pretty cool there to. But, with the law saying, "or a dog that has an appearance and physical characteristics that are substantially similar" I'm going to tell her that personally I don't think a bully breed would be a good choice.
It's different if you already owned one of these breeds but I think if you can, simply avoiding any potential problems (for both man and dog) would be better. (guess that's what I'll say lol)

YouTube - Dogo Argentino puppy play with kitten they sure do look cute as puppies though.

Members online

No members online now.