Most unusual breed you've ever seen in a shelter

In the course of looking for a dog, I've been astonished to see some fairly rare breeds in the local shelters. Of course, two of the shelters I was visiting were in an affluent suburb where status symbol one-upmanship was the name of the game. The three that I remember best are a Clumber Spaniel, a Bouvier des Flandres, and a Briard.

RD

Are you dead yet?
We get a lot of the rarer LGDs and herding breeds here, due to the large number of people with livestock in the area.
I've seen a Central Asian Ovtcharka (purebred, fully trained livestock guardian - turned in by an elderly man who had to sell his small ranch) along with one of the corded breeds, Puli I believe. I remember a Pyrenean Shepherd, a Carolina Dog and a Jindo. Most memorable ones were both dogs that I fostered - one was a Karelian Bear Dog and the other was most likely an uncropped Beauceron.

mojozen

bullie lover
I have mostly seen gsds / mixes, rottweilers / mixes, pit bulls /mixes... etc.

And I can't remember what the oddest breeds are... for a shelter is.

But the oddest looking dog i have ever SEEN was a pekeginese/pit bull cross that lived in my last neighborhood.

nedim

The most unusual one I saw was a corgi/rotti mix. I wanted to adopt her, but I didnt work out.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
The oddest dog at our shelter right now is a corgi/pit bull cross! It's so funny lookin lol :p

Sheka

i saw a mexican hairless! it was overweight, and i have to admit, it was a little gross. Lol :p they asked me if i wanted to pet him i was like "umm..no thanks,maybe later!" Lol

RD

Are you dead yet?
If we're talking mixes, the oddest was definitely a dog that looked like a hairless Pekingese. Smushed-up face, feet that faced east-west, huge shoulders, and almost no hair. So ugly, it was almost endearing.

Brattina88

One time there was a Basenji that was the talk of the town. The shelter wouldn't tell anyone if the dog was classified as owner release or stray. There was like 3 families fighting over a French Bulldog that was at the pound, and there was a weim once, she was so beautiful, everyone wanted her too.
Other than that you see the very usual goldens, labs, gsds, pit bull mixes...

Wish I could post a picture of my rescue dog!

OK, I just adopted a dog-was told @ first that he's an Anatolian/Malinois mix,then told Irish Wolfhound/shepard.

Here's his description,see what YOU think!

Big,90#,outer coat is brownish/black,long belly hairs are red,long tail that curls up,LONG legs,walks with a gait like a Wolfhound,in fact kinda clumsy in front-legs cross over, short floppy ears set back,big brown eyes,nose like a lab (in profile),white chest,thick ruff-creme color,big feet,huge mouth with longest dog tongue I've ever seen & it hangs out alot.

Coat isn't wiry & it's layered/thick except underneath. Best figure out he's 2 1/2 so not certain he's full grown yet.

He's smart,very quiet,VERY strong,outlived a Pit Bull attack in shelter-no idea what damage he did in the attack. Loud bark but only with a reason. Very high energy.....

Everyone that knows this dog has a different opinion! I'm thinking with the curly tail & white chest-this dog is probably 4 different breeds.

ewarp

Most recently, we had a Belgian Malinois turned into us. She was a guard dog failure that was given to a trainer who does drug detection. She wasn't very good at that and was very afraid of men at that point, so he brought her to us.

Aside from that, it's been the pretty standard lab/golden/gsd/pit medley.

Then again, we've got some really cute pit bull/bassets. They look like pits with tiny legs. It's adorable.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
A Shar Pei collector was busted and there were something like 20-30 Shar Peis for adoption. The people were lined up around the corner to get the dogs because they had a "story".:(

The neatest mix was an ACD/Shar Pei mix.

Twilight

Boxer Rescue
we have a pedigree wire haired fox terrier in my local rescue he is really lovely and been there so long! also 2 neopolitan Mastiffs and a shar pei cross husky

we mainly get lots of rotties, or staffy crosses.

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
While we generally get labs, pitties, rotts, and GSD mixes, every once in awhile the shelter I volunteer at gets some pretty rare breeds.

Bar none, the oddest was what just had to be a Kai Ken (or at least a Kai cross). He was adorable, and I came very close to "accidentally taking him home).

I've seen a foxhound, a puli, and as a matter of fact, saw a Shiba for the first time in my entire volunteering "career." Disheartening news- it's clear that at least in Washington, they're getting more popular.

Members online

No members online now.