Sunburns and Dogs

RBark

Got Floof?
So... I spent a lot of time lately in the sun. Not having had a thin-coated dog before, it did not occur to me that she would need some sun protection on her ears (to a lesser extent) and mostly the top of her muzzle by her nose. I mean I knew that dogs get sunburned too, it just registered with me too late. So she's sunburned.

So I'd like to know two things. First, is regular 50SPF suntan lotion from grocery stores fine? I'm not sure if there's anything harmful in them for dogs.

Next, what can I do to provide her with some relief? She is not showing any pain, and does not flinch or even notice if I touch it. But, i've come to learn that she is excessively tolerant of pain, which means I need to be more proactive in keeping her healthy since she will not show any sign whatsoever of even significant injury.

Thanks!

So... I spent a lot of time lately in the sun. Not having had a thin-coated dog before, it did not occur to me that she would need some sun protection on her ears (to a lesser extent) and mostly the top of her muzzle by her nose. I mean I knew that dogs get sunburned too, it just registered with me too late. So she's sunburned.

So I'd like to know two things. First, is regular 50SPF suntan lotion from grocery stores fine? I'm not sure if there's anything harmful in them for dogs.

Next, what can I do to provide her with some relief? She is not showing any pain, and does not flinch or even notice if I touch it. But, i've come to learn that she is excessively tolerant of pain, which means I need to be more proactive in keeping her healthy since she will not show any sign whatsoever of even significant injury.

Thanks!
I don't know if there is stuff you shouldn't use on dogs in normal sunblock but that is what I use for Didgie and Traveler. Typically I don't remember till I'm already out in it and grab my sunblock I use from my bag.

And for relief I would just do Aloe and sometimes a day later I slather coconut oil on it for moister.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I think I remember reading somewhere that sunblock isn't good for dogs? I can't imagine a small amount on her nose and ears would amount to much regardless.

I also can't see why aloe for the sunburns would hurt her, as long as she doesn't lick it off?

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I know there is sunscreen for horses, maybe try a Tractor supply or a feed store and see what they say?

Members online

No members online now.