Licking his private parts

Riley has a habit of licking his peepee quite often, is this a sign of sickness by chance? He licks it at least once per half hour

Also, he chews on his right front leg quite often also, is this because of fleas or something?

Mach1girl

Have you seen fleas???The licking sounds almost normal, unless you notice any redness or irritation. The chewing on the arm prolly is not a habit, but something is itching him.

Look through his fur good, that'd be my first step. look for fleas, dry skin, redness, etc.

Let us know from there.

well his fur is really fluffy and gets in the way so I can't really see the red irritation, the fur is good looking however.

Mach1girl

Fleas??Do you have him on flea prevention??

Dogs get itches just like me and you, and have to chew or scratch to releive them.

If you dont see bad skin or fleas, try an oatmeal bath to soothe. What food is he on??? Sometimes that can make them itchy.Allergies to food.

How old is he??I have a 18week old pup who stuffs his whole paw in his mouth, so playing and such isnt out of the ordinary.

Keep an eye on him, if you notice anything, call and visit your vet.

It could be a many of things. Too many to list w/out any symptoms, it is hard.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Some dogs acquire a habit of licking and chewing when bored or stressed and can sometimes lick an open sore into their paw.

As far as the privates licking, I think that's just a dog being a dog with nothing better to occupy his mind. Sawyer does it all the time when he's bored or if I'm telling him to do something he doesn't to do, that's his diversion technique.

I'll watch out for any excessive chewing for sure, if it continues i'll have a talk with the vet, thanks for the replies;)

Mach1girl

iluvpitbulls said:
Riley has a habit of licking his peepee quite often, is this a sign of sickness by chance? He licks it at least once per half hour

Also, he chews on his right front leg quite often also, is this because of fleas or something?
Is this a pitbull you are talking about?

bubbatd

LOL!! He may be trying to find that missing teat ! Make sure he doesn't have any discharge though .

Roxy's CD

Yea, as Gramz said, look for green puss, or anything discoloured under there. If so VET!

As Zoom said a lot of dogs lick because of boredom...

Hades licks his front paws a lot, although he still squats and I think when he pees on himself he licks it off... YICK! LOL

Check for a sore or something along those lines, maybe a some kind of bite. And the licking as long as there's no discharge should be ok.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
LOL I think dogs do it cause they can lmao! j/k

Riot does this too but he knows the "Rude" command. Soon as he starts and I notice I tell him hes being rude and he'll stop and give me that "BUUTT MOMMMM.. I WANNAA" look lol

does Binn do it very often? or is it just a couple of times a day because Riley does it quite often, once every half hour

bubbatd

My intact males always cleaned themselves..Chip ( who was neutered when I got him) never does.

Members online

No members online now.