Orijen and Acana too much protein for Husky?

goldiefur

Our Goldens are on Orijen now but we are not sure what to give the Husky puppy when we get him. Would the protein levels be to high in Orijen and Acana?

monkeys23

Its not the protien that is a concern for growing pups, it is the cal/phos ratios.

Acana Pacifica and Prarie harvest are both appropriate.

However I know of tons and tons of people from Sibe specific sites that have raised their pups on Orijen.

Just be very careful not to overfeed. Their metabolisms are MUCH different than the goldens you are used to. For example, my 20lb mini aussie foster eats as much as my 50lb sled dog....
If you get a lot of loose poo, you might be overfeeding. Thats generally a good guideline to guague from.

By and large combing dehydrated "raw" foods with actual raw parts seems to be very widespread in responsible owners of the breed. Also there are huge numbers of owners who feed prey model raw. I know someone with a pack of seniors who feeds homemade too. By and large they seem to do best on as close to real food as possible. This is just what I've observed by owning, knowing other owners in life, and from what I've seen on breed specific forums.

If it were me I'd just feed properly balanced pmr, as the number of northern breed people who throw up their hands and end up there anyway are quite large... might as well avoid the issue entirely and start with what they are supposed to eat. But tons of people prefer the convience of processed food, so once again thats just what I would do not necesarily what may be the right answer for you. :)

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Not a husky, but Quinn has been on Acana GF formulas, rotated, since she was a young puppy. I did originally start her on Orijen Puppy but that proved to be a little too rich for her, so we switched to Acana Grasslands and she's been on Acana ever since.

Lyzelle

The only thing protein levels will really affect is the energy level. I've seem some Sibe pups go running on walls without adequate exercise, especially if they are being fed a high maintenance/energy food.

But it's basically everything Monkey said, it should be fine.
Small emphasis on the quantity, though. It is really easy to overfeed. Zander only eats around a cup of Wellness CORE twice a day, and he's maintaining...if not gaining a bit of flab. He's typically 65-70lbs, but he's probably pushing 75lbs at this point. But I assure you, he's still a crazy Sibe. Their metabolism is really interesting.

monkeys23

Lol you do not want to know the amount Lily ate on Evo. Granted she's smaller than Zander at 47-50lbs ideal weight.

She eats about 0.75-1lb a day of raw and I'm actually thinking of cutting her back a little or buying some more tripe since thats so low cal and good for them, she's getting fluffy (har har) for her which is a real oddity given how much exercise she gets. Scout's pretty thrifty too and has finally hit her adult metabolism thank goodness, but it seems Lily is freakishly so even for a sled dog. She's not even all Sibe either! So weird...

goldiefur

Thanks. I have also heard of dry foods that you can NOT add water to because it will cause bloat. I assume he will be eating mush and I wonder if I can add water to Acana? This also has me wondering should he just eat canned food? Maybe the blue wilderness canned food? :confused:

Lyzelle

I wouldn't suggest Blue at all. It made my Sibe sick as all get out, and took him a month to recover. And after working close to the company, I'm completely turned off.

I wouldn't see why you can't add water to dry kibble? A high quality kibble shouldn't expand that much. Why do you want him on soft food?

Dont quote me on this, but I am pretty sure the latest study suggestd one way to help bloat was to add a wet topper, like canned, to dry kibble. I feed raw so didnt pay that close of attention to it, but pretty sure the dane board (where bloat of course is a main topic) talked about that.

Lyzelle

^^^ I could see that. If they are inhaling their food + a lot of air, water or soft food might slow them down a bit. To be honest, I haven't kept up with the bloat studies or rumors lately. I need to probably get on that.

goldiefur

I'm thinking the breeder will be mixing the dry with water but I have not talked to him about that yet so maybe he will be on dry by them. Thanks for the info about Blue wilderness it sucks though because I use that as a back up food if I can't get Orijen. I will have to find another back up.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Aww you're getting a Husky puppy!?! I can't wait to see him/her!!! Watching Huskies grow up is amazing... they change so much, and they're the cutest puppies in the world. :D Also the naughtiest! They are no Goldens, but they're special. <3

I wouldn't feed Orijen or Acana to a puppy. (I wouldn't feed it period, after what happened with Gonzo, and friend's dogs that got very sick on it) Nature's Variety has a really good puppy food. My friend raised her Husky on that and he grew up beautifully! I'll raise my GSD on that kibble and raw.

goldiefur

Aww you're getting a Husky puppy!?! I can't wait to see him/her!!! Watching Huskies grow up is amazing... they change so much, and they're the cutest puppies in the world. :D Also the naughtiest! They are no Goldens, but they're special. <3

I wouldn't feed Orijen or Acana to a puppy. (I wouldn't feed it period, after what happened with Gonzo, and friend's dogs that got very sick on it) Nature's Variety has a really good puppy food. My friend raised her Husky on that and he grew up beautifully! I'll raise my GSD on that kibble and raw.

Sorry it took me so long to get on here and answer you. My nephew is actually getting two white Siberian Huskies. i just want to make sure he is doing everything right. He was raised with Goldens and little mixed breed dogs so I am trying to figure out the best food to get them on. He does not have them yet it will be another week or so.

Lyzelle

Two Sibe pups at once is definitely asking for trouble and pack-bound dogs, especially for a first time owner! Most people can't keep up with the mental and physical needs of one, let alone two at the same time. Hopefully he is at least keeping them separated for the first year of their life.

ñòðîèòåëüñòâ

áîëüøîé ïîñò çàíåñó â çàêëàäêè. ñ óòðà ïðî÷òó

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
^ LOL....

I agree Lyzelle! Make sure your son spends plenty of time with each puppy individually, or they will bond to each other and become virtually untrainable. Training Huskies is tricky enough!

goldiefur

That's interesting I have never heard of that. Would you say the training would be harder than German shepherds? I have always had plenty of dogs at one time and growing up was the same thing we never bought or adopted just one dog it was always in twos and threes at the same time so they would grow up together and I never had a problem I even asked my parents if there was some problems I did not remember. We had the three Golden brothers from the same litter and before they were fixed they did have a few fights we waited to get them fixed at like 8 months. It was like a sibling rivalry and all the fights started because of attention one of us humans would be giving one of them and someone would end up feeling left out and a fight would break out. After they got fixed there was never a fight. When I was a kid the German Shepherds were outside dogs and they were not fixed but never had a fight. I am really curious are Huskies that different from other dogs. When I trained the Goldens it had to be done separately so I expect that.

Lyzelle

Sibes are extremely independent dogs, so yes, definitely different from a GSD or a Golden. They don't give a hoot what you think or what you want them to do! They have their own mind, and the scary part is - they know how to use it! If they don't want to be in their crate, they'll figure a way out of it. They might scream for a bit, but when they get quiet...they are planning escape. If they don't want to eat, they won't. Extremely picky, and you can't wait them out. Stubborn, stubborn, intelligent an independent breed. Mentally AND physically, they are extremely demanding dogs not for the faint of heart. Usually around 10-16 weeks and they are getting dumped at shelters. The majority of the public can't handle them. They really make terrible pets for general owners.

Most pups will become packbound if they are raised together, though, that isn't just a Sibe thing. And especially, two dogs of the same litter are never recommended to stay together. The dogs bond to each other instead of the humans, or in siblings, they usually end up fighting.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
^^ I agree!

Sibes are a 180 from highly biddable, people-pleasing Goldens and German Shepherds. There's a reason you see lots of Goldens & GSDs competing in Obedience and you NEVER see Huskies! While they are highly intelligent, you must motivate them to work for you (they don't particularly find any joy in "obeying", they are survivors) and make yourself an exciting, positive, confident influence. Independent and primitive breeds are highly independent and instinctual. They can be the most amazing, fun, hilarious pets with the right owner and training but they have to be given individual training, lots of exercise and you have to keep them in a safe and secure environment. Huskies are known escape artists and many will never have a reliable recall off-leash, even with diligent training. They are also known to be very guardy with food, toward people and dogs, so it's important to teach puppies that they do not NEED to be competitive with food and play the trading game often!

Fozzie is half Husky, and he was a pain as a puppy. He did what he wanted, when he wanted... never came when called... extreme food guarding... he was generally an adorable little jerk. But he was also very smart, never had an accident and learned quickly as long as I motivated him with food/play/life rewards! Using clicker training, high value treats, lots of play/tug rewards, NILIF and basically making him obsessed with me, he's the best dog in the world. :) I'm not saying it's impossible to raise two Husky puppies, if you have the time to raise two puppies and give them each individual attention/training/socializing, but they are not an easy family breed like Goldens. They are however amazing hiking companions, endlessly entertaining, wonderful with children and very dog social when they're bred and socialized well.

Wow all this talk about huskies is very good, this is a coincidence since I'm actually looking for info of them because I want to write an article about them for a pet section in the newspaper.

Lately there was a LOT of strayed huskies, so I wanted to touch the subject that they are scape artists and they need something to do and not only be 24/7 in a yard looking like an ornament like many sadly people think.

So I want to know more of their Houdini abilities ;.)

My first dog Oso (the one in my avatar) was a GSD/ Husky mix , he didn't wanted to escape but he had a very hard head, like huskies. LOL

Members online

No members online now.