Please help me with my tears

I am new here on this forum and came to it last week because I needed support. We have a 12 year old newfie/retriever cross named Bently. Bently has lymphoma. They had him on a chemo that had a average remission of 15 months. He didn't even have one months remission. He has been on a second chemo but has been sick to his stomach ever since. He has been in the hospital for 3 days now and no better. They now think the cancer may have spread. I can't stop crying. They are doing some more tests today. Please don't tell me he has had a long life already or that these things happen. Right now I am inconsolable. Any support would be so appreciated.....

Hi LavenderLady,
So sorry to hear that Bently is worse. Hopefully he will respond to the treatment in time to save him. I will have Bently in my thoughts...

Chazhound

It is always heartbreaking when our animals are so ill, and we all want them by our sides forever. I've lost dogs in very advanced age, and I've lost a couple in the prime of their lives and it is never easy. Realize - as I'm sure you do - that every day you have together is a gift. All Bentley wants to know is that he is still loved and cherished and you are certainly showing that you love him dearly.

On a practical side, some weak, unsalted chicken broth might stand a better chance of staying in his system, with perhaps some small pieces of unseasoned, cooked white meat chicken. Ginger is very good for nausea as well. If you can get him to nibble at some bits of candied (not pickled) ginger it might help.

My Bear had a huge tumor in his hind leg that the surgeon was unable to remove entirely. I was in a panic! I remembered reading an article about an herbal blend called "Essiac Tea;" a concoction of herbs used for generations by the Obijwa tribe to cure cancers and tumors. After checking to make sure none of the ingredients were toxic to dogs, I started brewing the decoction and pouring it down Bear. It worked and the remnants of the tumor disappeared completely. I don't represent that this will always work, but after more research and reading, I found other people's stories of how it had worked, sometimes with moderate results, sometimes dramatic; even in the cases where it did not achieve any dramatic results it seemed to ease the side effects of chemo therapy and radiation. It also lets you feel that you are doing something pro-active rather than being caught up in a situation where you are helpless to do anything for someone you love.

We will be with you and will hold your Bentley tenderly in our thoughts.

Kathy74

I don't know what to say at this painful time, but I'm sending hugs and good thoughts your way.

Debi

My heart just breaks for you. I, too, am sending my biggest HUGS to you and Bentley. How wonderful he has had you to help care for him!! You never know, this second treatment may work. I'll be thinking of you both. Keep us updated. Everyone cares.

Hello all of you who have Bently in your thoughts. You must read this!! We picked Bently up at the clinic on Friday. They had stopped his chemo as his cancer has spread to his spleen. They cried and so did we as they told us he would last only one day without water and two days without food at the most. We decided that we would take him to our cabin. He loves it there because we are on a lake and he can run around and swim. We thought even if he can't do those things he will be in a good place. Well as soon as we got there, he drank and then started eating something he found in the grass! He grabbed the ball and then wanted to play catch non stop. Afterwards he wanted to go for a swim! None of this was forced on him. We then fed him some food and let him lie down for awhile. We wanted the cabin to be a good visit for him, but didn't expect this!! We know he is sick and his time may come sooner than we want, but we are so glad that Bently had his weekend! We promised Bently at the hospital that when he came home we would have pizza for dinner. We got home today after a busy weekend at the cabin and guess what we had for dinner!!! Thank you for all of your kind thoughts. I KNOW they are helping. You are all too kind. Thank you from Bently!! xo

bogolove

I am so glad for him! I bet he enjoyed that so much. I have tears streaming down my face, and I will continue to keep him and you in my thoughts and prayers. Give him *hugs* from me.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I can't stop crying reading about your weekend. Bently sounds like a wonderful dog who is blessed with loving owners! You are all in my prayers.

Today Bently went after the letter carrier after sneaking outside!! Although it totally stressed me out, I thought that is my Bently! He is eating tons and feeling great. Ever since he left the hospital he has gotten better and better every day. I know all of your prayers are helping him. This is quite the change from someone who had 24-48 hours to live on the weeknd. Many thanks for all of your prayers good thoughts for Bently. xo

We will continue all of those thoughts and prayers for Bently and you

That's wonderful news to hear, although I'll bet the letter carrier could do with a little less excitement. ;)

Members online

No members online now.