Question?

Elysium

And honestly not meant to be inflammatory:

why do pit bull owners seem like they want to breed their dog more often than other dog owners? In the South (and in the West too) there are a CRAP LOAD of pits/pit mixes in shelters that are going to end up being killed because, let's face it, no one wants these dogs. I wouldn't adopt a pitbull if it were the last dog in the shelter (and I have adopted several dogs). What's the deal? What makes your breed so special? Why not get them fixed? Not a lot of people want pits, seriously. Most lay people think they bite children and kill other dogs. I don't see bichon or lhaso apso owners breeding their dogs like wild fire (though, for some reason, Chi owners seem to want to propogate that tragic little breed, even though they have numerous behavioral problems). I would never dream of breeding my dog(s) because I have a conscience. I wonder what happens to everybody else?

[end rant]

bubbatd

We're loaded with litters here !!! Most I think are for fighting or chaining up !! When they don't sell , the go to the HS , where hopefully they will find good owners like those here on Chaz. I saw an ad pinned on a Liquor Store building yesterday.....good breeder ??? Doubt it !!! They were $300 to $400, Sigh !

B

BlackDog

bubbatd said:
We're loaded with litters here !!! Most I think are for fighting or chaining up !! When they don't sell , the go to the HS , where hopefully they will find good owners like those here on Chaz. I saw an ad pinned on a Liquor Store building yesterday.....good breeder ??? Doubt it !!! They were $300 to $400, Sigh !
::Giggles::

Roxy's CD

And why wouldn't you ever adopt a pit?

I hope your reasons aren't some type of stero type :rolleyes:

I dont know how it is in the states, but where I live, pits aren't really any more abundant than any other breed. There are BYB's of every breed.

I assume people breed pits more because of the stero type that they are "tough" dogs. Just my guess, haven't really encountered it first hand.

I know in my town there were quite a few litters right before the pitbull ban went into effect, the whole supply and demand. But surprisingly its actually cooled off since. Rottweilers are the breed now in my city. I was offered a 6 month old rotty a few weeks ago. Long story...

Aww don't say you wouldn't adopt a pit bull if it were the last dog in the shelter...there are some really great pits out there. If they are raised right I know they are great with children and protective over their family.

Roxy's CD

Very good point. My little Hades is amazing with my niece and nephew. Puts up with them crowding him and constantly cuddling him and engaging him in play. NOT ONCE has he ever showed any type of negative respsonse including ignoring them! He lovingly plays with them and cuddles and puts up with them dressing him up!

The last word I would ever use to describe Hades would either be dominant or aggressive.

Pits are available in great abunance here. I am one of the ones who would never choose to own a pit. Not because of reputation, its just not my breed. I love my cattle dogs. :)

I realize they do tend to have a reputation that follows them, and honestly, a lot of the people who I see owning those breeds are usually SCARED of dogs! I guess if they are scared of their own dog everyone else should be too? I dont know. But Im not kidding, people who are afraid to pet dogs in Petsmart, or who are scared to hand me my food at a drive thru because I have a well behaved dog in my backseat, who I know have dogs of their own chained out in their back yard. It just really puzzles me.

Just seems to me that there are 5 responsible pit owners for every 95 irresponsible ones out there. Im sure all of the responsible ones are here on chaz anyway :)

wolfsoul

I Love My Belgian
Elysium said:
I don't see bichon or lhaso apso owners breeding their dogs like wild fire
I completely disagree. There may be more homeless pits, but small breeds are bred ALOT more than pit bulls. Small breeds are the "thing" right now. How many puppy mill seizures do you hear of that involve pit bulls? Not alot. They all involve the small breeds -- bichons, yorkies, poms, chis, maltese, shih tzu, lhasas, havanese, cockers, poodles, etc.

What makes them so special? You can ask the same about ANY breed. There are alot of breeds that not alot of people want, including mine. so why do people breed Belgians? Once again, it could be asked of any breed. Pits are not the most common dog in shelters -- labs are. So what makes labs so special? They are the most commonly owned dog --- which means that they certainly aren't unwanted. I would assume pit bulls would be the same.

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
And why wouldn't you ever adopt a pit?

I hope your reasons aren't some type of stero type
i was just about to ask the same question

though, for some reason, Chi owners seem to want to propogate that tragic little breed, even though they have numerous behavioral problems).
since when did chihuahuas have behavioral problems???????

bichon or lhaso apso owners breeding their dogs like wild fire
actually with the new craze in "designer mutts" people are really overnbreeding these dogs

I completely disagree. There may be more homeless pits, but small breeds are bred ALOT more than pit bulls. Small breeds are the "thing" right now. How many puppy mill seizures do you hear of that involve pit bulls? Not alot. They all involve the small breeds -- bichons, yorkies, poms, chis, maltese, shih tzu, lhasas, havanese, cockers, poodles, etc.
i completely agree

I find it quite sad that you generalise so much on dogs, all badly bred dogs are tragic, not only Chi's.
i completely agree, i think you have generalised alot of breeds in your post, and most of them in a bad way

I would say

In my subdivision I would say 65% of the homes have dogs. I would day that at least half of these dogs if not more are pits or pit mixes.

It's sad as I see quite a few people out walking their dogs when I am walking Wrigley--however I have NEVER (except for one very nice family who has 3 pit mixes) seen any of the pit owners walking their dogs.

I think it is seen as "tough" and "gangster" like to own a Pit--which makes me even more sad.....

Fran27

People breed their little dogs as much, they just get adopted faster because they are little. And yes, lots of people won't risk adopting a pit... I wouldn't either, but because I'm not a good enough trainer for one.

bubbatd

I'm afraid that I wouldn't either . Not knowing the background would bother me as to safety issues with children. I know they are great dogs .....

~Tucker&Me~

I would adopt a pit!
There are many that are just surrendered due to high cost (insurance bills).
Many of these are well brought up and affectionate.

~Tucker

~Tucker&Me~

Bubbatd,
If the dog was surrendered for financial reasons, and nothing else... Then would you consider :D? (This happens quite often too!)

~Tucker

Elysium said:
I wouldn't adopt a pitbull if it were the last dog in the shelter
I don't know the answers to your questions.........we don't have PBT here in the UK.

I just wanted to ask why you wouldn't adopt one??

~Tucker&Me~ said:
Bubbatd,
If the dog was surrendered for financial reasons, and nothing else... Then would you consider :D? (This happens quite often too!)

~Tucker

Yes, but you still have to wonder, why did these people not think of this before. All homeowners insurance policies are suppossed to be read before you agree to buy right? If they agreed to pay a higher premium or be dropped or whatever for owning a specific breed, why get the dog in the first place? Or why not switch insurance companies. It shows a lack of responsibility regardless, and that lack of responsibility may have also been implemented in the way the pup was raised.

Elysium said:
And honestly not meant to be inflammatory:
If this is true, you must be a complete newcomer to the dog world, where anything to do with pit bulls/scary breeds/molossers/etc. becomes a screaming hissy fit in about six seconds. Welcome.

Elysium said:
why do pit bull owners seem like they want to breed their dog more often than other dog owners? In the South (and in the West too) there are a CRAP LOAD of pits/pit mixes in shelters that are going to end up being killed because, let's face it, no one wants these dogs...I would never dream of breeding my dog(s) because I have a conscience. I wonder what happens to everybody else? [end rant]
Short answer - their popularity is highest in populations that put the least value on spay/neuter, licensing, vet care, etc.

Longer answer - the 'impressive' breeds, which include pit bulls, (you know how, when people want to gush over certain breeds, they always use the word 'impressive' to convey their approval), are, in the eyes many of their fans, enhanced by their intact state. The appeal of a setter or collie or toy breed isn't particularly changed by its reproductive status. That 'big, powerful, masculine beast' thing that appeals to many people is, on the other hand, hugely enhanced by the dog being intact.

It is true that not too many people want these dogs. In the urban northeast, where they've also become a huge percentage of the shelter population, shelters have started importing dogs from rural shelters to give adopters a better choice. It sounds harsh, but an average family looking for a pet will be better off with a beagle mix from Kentucky than a pit bull off the streets of Newark.

S

savethebulliedbreeds

Woah, glad I came back for this one lol. I own an American Staffordshire Terrier AND Chihuahuas.

I would like to say that I would like to agree with those people that said that it is the small breeds that are in demand right now. There are BYB's that breed every breed but there IS quite a problem with bad breeders breeding small breeds.

Im not quite sure how the OP figures that chihuahuas have behavioral problems. Any chihuahua with a behavioral problem is because the owners think it is cute to have their little ones on their lap protecting them and make them that way. It has nothing to do with the breed and everything to do with the owner.

I would also like to know why you would never adopt a pit bull?

Also why do you think that we think "our" breed is sooooo special. I think all breeds are special. No one more than another. I don't go around bragging about my Amstaff any more than I brag about my chihuahuas or pomeranians (who by the ways are all extremely well behaved, and have NO behavioral problems)

Im sorry but being an owner of the breeds you spoke about in your post I am a bit shocked.

I would also like to say that here our problem is not so much with the toy breeds or pit bulls or rottweilers but with mixes between collies, labs, GSD's and retrievers. The shelter is always full of them.

Members online

No members online now.