He Jumps On Me Even When I Ignore Him o.0

I know full well that the way to get a dog to stop jumping on you in greeting is to ignore them completely. That takes away the reward of your attention. This has worked for me on every dog....except one, Dakota.

I don't understand why but Dakota doesn't seem to care if I ignore him or not. I can stand there looking upward until my neck starts to hurt or walk around pretending he's not there and he jumps on me the whole time. When he FINALLY like 10, 15 miniutes later stops and I try to reward him with attention for stopping, he immediately that split second starts jumping all over me again. I just don't know what to do. I don't feel I'm discouraging the behavior at all.

Brattina88

Have you tried telling him to sit when he is about to jump up? Telling the dog what to do instead of what not to do often helps, but I'll admit that I've seen many dogs sit for half a second and then spring back up. Is he jumping for pets/attention? You might have to teach him that you'll only pet him if he's performing a solid sit/stay. A friend of mine taught her dog to stay off of her friends by tossing a treat by there feet so her dog would look for treats by the feet instead of jumping up :rolleyes:
Off is a good command that I teach my foster dogs and can be used in a couple situations. Off=4 feet on the floor. I started with "Off" of the couch, and once they knew that I applied to to the jumping.
Otherwise I'd suggest a water bottle, which I'm not too fond of and it doesn't always work/help.

I don't feel like that was very helpful :eek:

Doberluv

If getting attention isn't the payoff, then there is something else which is making it worth your dog's while to jump. The trick is figuring out what that is. He's being self rewarded perhaps. Like Brattina said, give the dog an alternative behavior. Sometimes ignoring alone isn't enough. You can even do more than one behavior; sit, stay, let's go, sit, shake. And then praise him and give him a treat...keeping things low key. Make not jumping on you way, way better than jumping on you. Show a distinction between what he gets in the way of a reward for good behavior and what he gets for jumping.....nothing. LOL. He'll get onto it. With a dog so prone to that stuff, keeping playtime rather quiet is best to calm him down.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I prefer to take a proactive stance.

I will immediately change the dynamics of the event by walking directly into the dog briskly, causing him to move backwards. Usually I am lifting my feet high and sort of shuffling and stamping my feet at the same time as I smile and say "Get Back Get Back Get Back!!" in a playful voice.

After I've made the dog back up several steps, I ask for a sit and reward.

:D

Saje

Island dweller
Nanook is a crazy jumper upper. She'll run at you on her back legs. she's a freak.

What works with her is the sit trick. If she jumps on me I give her my back and walk to the other side of the room. I'll tell her to sit. If she sits I'll take a step forward but if she runs at me I'll turn and walk away and tell her to sit. What I end up with is a dog that sits, quivering in anticipation for me to arrive at her side. lol And then I slowly get down to her level and hug her and wrap myself around her so she can see my face (what she wants) and can't jump up. If at any point she does I abruptly leave and tell her to sit again. She gets the idea very quickly.

Saje

Island dweller
btw what I do with nanook requires a lot of consistency. If I let her get away with it once we are back to square one.

The ONLY thing I've seen here that might help is teaching him to expect food tossed at my feet. He goes absoutely PSYCHO hyper when he greets me. He doesn't care what I do....smack him with the leash, shock him, walk right into him, ignore him, he still loves every second of it. He is also in a WAY too hyper state of mind to listen to any of my commands. And I can't command him off me because he loves being talked to.

This dog...seriously is a dog that will get in your face and jump up and down for 5 miniutes like a pogo stick and if you like try to kick him away he stays JUST out of your reach and waits for the precise moment to get a few front paws on you then jumps out of your way. If you run away from him he'll catch up, jump on you as he goes by, then run around like a maniac. If you stand there ignoring him....it's hard to do it a real long time 'cause his nails scratch me right through my clothes and he stomps on my feet which hurts :(

The ONLY time he is not as bad is when he's just had the heck exercised out of him.....few hours of pulling weight around the yard, springpole, and running. Then he finally is a calm, normal dog but he still can't be trusted not to jump. WAH. I thought I was somebody that could train a dog not to jump =\

I'm gonna try the treat thing. I hope it works. I really do.

Saje

Island dweller
You shock your dog when he's trying to show you affection? :(

Whatever method you choose you need to show consitency and patience. No method will work without that.

T

tessa_s212

When I first got Marq I had a HUGE problem with him jumping. With him being such a large dog(male pointer), I could NOT have this behavior, as he was knocking me over and leaving scratches on my face. In order to correct this, I carried around his favorite treats and toys. He, of course, got very excited about this and did his usual jumping around wildly. When it was apparrent his paws were going to make contact with my body, I'd say "AHAH" loudly and turn my shoulder sharply into him, turning my body side-ways also to make it harder for him to actually jump up. I would then ignore him until he had all four on the ground. As soon as he had all four on the ground, he got TONS of treats and a session of playing. He still gets excited and bounds into the air, but he will not make contact. Now I only have to make sure he will do this with my permission, as I'd hate for him to jump on a poor little dog.

He learned not to jump on me within 1 day using this method. But, he is also a soft enough dog that verbal corrections are usually enough, and if not, that sharp shoulder turn, with IMMEDIATE praise/play/and reinforcement once he placed all four on the ground, did the trick.

BTW, I did try the ignore method as I really try to avoid using aversives in training, but a 63 lb Pointer jumping(more like charging) right into you is not an easy thing to do. ;)

opokki

There are a few other things you can try...not sure which, if any, will work best for you but they may be worth giving a try.

Use a tether:
Your dog is large so the ignoring thing might not work so easily. You can try tethering him, leaving briefly (long enough that he will be anxious to see you) and then re-entering. This way you can walk towards him but if his feet lift off the ground you can safely turn away and completely ignore him. You could do several short practice sessions daily to get him in the habit of sitting or at least keeping all 4 paws on the ground while greeting you.

Use the door:
If he greets you at the door you could slowly begin opening the door, ask him to sit and begin to slowly walk in...the second his feet leave the ground back up and quickly close the door. Wait a few seconds and try again. It may take several repeats for him to begin to get it so be patient. When you finally do make it all the way into the house without him jumping up and suddenly his feet lift off the ground, turn around and leave again. Wait a few seconds and try again. Do several this several times daily and be sure to be consistant.

Saje

Island dweller
My dog nanook is as hyper as a dog gets. She's to the point of being neurotic. She can't sit still. She'll try and curl up on my neck to be close to me. So I do know what it's like to have a dog like that.

T

tessa_s212

Saje, I had the same problem. Marq, the male pointer I just brought home, is from a show kennel and has nothing but show all of his life. When we first brought him home he was HORRIBLE about jumping, but there was no way I could redirect that to a sit, because he didn't know it! So, I did have to use a sort of correction with tons of positive reinforcement. (BTW, he now knows sit, but only as a hand signal right now. I am working on transferring it to a verbal command with the clicker.)

Doberluv

With some dogs, doing that thing where you're walking into them may come off as attention, as a fun game. It may work with some dogs and if you add in a punishing effect, it probably will. And apparently it has worked for some of your dogs. But, I find that reacting too much to a dog's misbehavior can be construed by the dog that you're following their lead. They make the action. And you are responding to it. I prefer to change the subject, where I'm the one directing things, by giving a new command, (incompatible with what they're doing, ie: jumping) telling the dog what TO do and having him respond, rather than to respond to what HE instigated. Does that make sense? (it was a terrible sentence):eek: Then he gets rewarded for following my direction. Soon, he chooses the thing that gives him the payoff. You have to be consistant.

Members online

No members online now.