Chicago: BC mix/Potential sport dog needs home

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Feel free to cross post:

Jax is a ~1 year old BC mix. He was purchased initially by a family who "didn't realize he would need so much exercise", adopted, then returned because he was "bad with cats". (He's with a cat right now and they're fine, except my cat's a turd and keeps trying to provoke him, LOL).

He has since been living at my work, a daycare/boarding kennel. I have done some basic training with him, and IMO he could make somebody a really nice OB/rally/agility dog. He is highly food motivated and VERY toy oriented - he actually chatters his teeth for a ball. :D

He appears to have good environmental and social nerve, and nice sound temperament. He will very rarely show some mild reactivity to strange men who move too quickly - but I mean "rarely" and "mild" sincerely. It's not a real issue for him, and I'm not sure he would be doing it all if he wasn't living in a kennel all the time.

He is active but not nuts in the house, and could also just be a nice, active pet. He is:

-Housebroken, asked to go out at the correct door after only being in my house for 12 hours
-Dog social
-Human social
-Cuddly and affectionate
-Ok with cats, could definitely learn to live with one.
-Decent on leash
-energetic but reasonable in the house
-crate trained, but may cry at first in a new environment. took about 5 min to settle down in my crate at home, then slept through the night.

As far as house manners go, he WILL countersurf and he is starting to develop a "snatch and run" habit with things he finds. We've mitigated the first issue with supervision. As for the second, we keep him on a drag line and when he tries to bolt, we step on it, and then trade him for the object with some treats. It's already helping a ton. Other than that, he's pretty good, but keep in mind my dogs are heathens and I have pretty lax standards. :lol-sign:

He's fat in the pics but he's not anymore. He's actually holding a decent sport weight now. He's located at South Suburban Humane Society in Chicago Heights, IL and AFAIK the shelter WILL do out of state adoptions (at least they don't state that they DON'T...) and I am happy to help with transport in any way that I can. Contact me with questions or for more info!

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Well, looks like I spoke too soon!!! One of our regular customers just took him home and I couldn't be happier for them!

Members online

No members online now.