I'm sure its a simple fix but I can't think of it >.<

ChristineB

Let me start by saying that I have tried searching this site and other sites and can't find a reasonable solution/similar situation.

Tara, the amazing Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen (PBGV), is 'basically' house trained. She lives with me here in Germany where all the houses have tile or hardwood or laminate flooring. We have no carpet/rugs in our house at the moment. However, when I bring her to my friend's house, she immediately pees on the small area rug. She runs over to any carpet she sees and pees without delay. No sniffing or circling. Its like she LOVEs the feel of carpet under her feet while peeing. LOL Its funny and frustrating at the same time. How can I introduce her to carpet so she doesn't want to pee on it each time. When there is no carpet/rugs in the house, she will go to the door and whine and scratch to get us to take her outside. She'll do this in any building we take her to unless there is carpet inside. She'll even pee on carpet OUTSIDE (we found this out when we were doing home renovations and had a carpet square on the patio). I'm really confused at this point!

Once again, sorry if there was already a thread about this somewhere but I just couldn't find it.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
Some dogs associate the soft feel of carpet with grass.

I would leash her when you visit another's house and don't allow her on the rug. You might get a small rug for your own house and train her not to pee on it. Same as with any young puppy. Watch her and redirect.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
How have you cleaned up prior accidents - if you haven't used an enzymatic cleanser for pet stain/odor there may be residual scent markers drawing her to these spots again and again.

In addition to leashing with redirection, make sure she is is empty BEFORE you walk in your friend's house. If she doesn't have anything in her bladder, peeing is less attractive.

Kilter

Get a small, cheap carpet for your house, and work on training her that it's not an option. Then when you go to someone else's place, assume she's going to pee on their carpet and keep her on leash for the whole time. You must have some good friends because honestly if someone brought their dog here and it right away peed on the carpet, it'd be going back out to sit in their car and not welcomed back for a while!

Doberluv

In addition to the other good posts, I'd also ask your friend where in her yard your dog can go to the bathroom. Then make that area the BEST place to go. Bring her with a full bladder and let her go and then make a huge fuss, complete with very high value treats. Take her out often and keep her leashed to you until she gets the idea that outside is the ONLY place to go. It won't work in the house, since you'll prevent that. And outside means really, good things. (cheese, steak, chicken, lots of praise, a game with her favorite toy etc)

ChristineB

Thank you everyone! Kilter, I will definitely try to get a small cheapo carpet to train her. As for my friend being fantastic, she is pretty awesome. She also has a puppy (my dog is 6 months old now) and we both know how to clean up the messes properly (with the enzymatic cleaner). Thankfully she was totally understanding and the area rug my dog used as a toilet was one that she isn't fond of anyhow- her husband picked it out LOL. She is also an American living in the german houses so she understands the challenges that my pup faces with learning about carpet. Anyhow, I'll try to keep her leashed to me and introduce her to carpet/rugs in our own house first. I'm hoping she figures it out fast! I'll be showering her with praise and treats when she does the right thing ^_^

Members online

No members online now.