Things from your childhood that still creep you out?

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
When I was little, I slept in the bed with my mom because my sisters each got their own rooms, and there wasn't an extra for me. She'd always watch Unsolved Mysteries late at night while I was falling asleep. What would happen is that I'd fall asleep to the music, and wake up groggily during the show and catch glimpses, and it was usually the alien episodes because that's what my mom seemed to love. I have a LOT of nightmares about alien abduction as a result of this.

ANYWHO, I just hit play on an unnamed crime show on this youtube channel. Immediately, the music from Unsolved Mysteries begins to play. My insides turned into a knot, a shiver ran through me and I died a little inside. I let it play and as soon as I heard Robert Stack's voice, I started looking around my room and at my window, which I do when I get unnecessarily terrified and anxious.

Just the SOUND of the man's voice and the music almost sent me into a panic attack of fear!

:eek:

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Oh God. I too know the terror of Unsolved Mysteries. My granny LOVED it, and when we'd stay at her house we'd watch that and Jerry Springer and Divorce Court. Ugh.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Oh God. I too know the terror of Unsolved Mysteries. My granny LOVED it, and when we'd stay at her house we'd watch that and Jerry Springer and Divorce Court. Ugh.
I don't know how that show did it, but I have never in my obsession with murder shows found another that is as creepy as that one. Maybe it's Robert Stack's voice and the music, maybe that's what makes it so creepy. The re-enactments were always really creepy too for whatever reason. Then of course the stories themselves, especially the ones I'm watching, always tend to be very creepy.

Romy

Taxiderpy
When I was a kid, I used to stay up late reading. One time I was reading an old book about birds, and turned the page. It was a HUGE black and white closeup of a shoebill stork. It sounds totally lame, but it really freaked me out. I still get freaked out thinking of it.

This is color and all, but still. URGH! The creature of nightmares.

B

Backward_Cinderella

This is gonna sound ridiculous... But Lord Voldemort on the back of Professor Quirrell's head scared the sh*t out of me and still does (I was closing in on teenage years when the movie came out, but it still scares me LoL)

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
This exact Sesame Street skit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yiqGtZXCmQ

To this day it weirds me out to watch it just because of how terrified I was of it as a kid. I adored Sesame Street and watched it daily... but as soon as I heard the music at the beginning of this skit, I would rush over to the kitchen and stay there until I heard the music again at the end.

To this day I have a horrid, gut-wrenching fear of inanimate objects coming to life, and I seriously think it started with Sesame Street. Crazy, no? Art least the YouTube comments make me feel better. I clearly wasn't the only one who thought this was freaky as all hell. :D

LindaJD

I shared a room with my brother for a few years and one year for christmas I got this doll named drowsy. For some reason my brother and I were afraid of this doll and we would always turn her to face the wall at night so she wouldn't stare at us while we slept. One day we decided to get rid of her and bury her behind the house. About a week later she was back in our room! Dad had somehow found her and thought I lost her.
We finally confessed how we hated her and dad burnt her in the trash barrel for us and even brought us to watch her ashes being thrown into the town dump.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I shared a room with my brother for a few years and one year for christmas I got this doll named drowsy. For some reason my brother and I were afraid of this doll and we would always turn her to face the wall at night so she wouldn't stare at us while we slept. One day we decided to get rid of her and bury her behind the house. About a week later she was back in our room! Dad had somehow found her and thought I lost her.
We finally confessed how we hated her and dad burnt her in the trash barrel for us and even brought us to watch her ashes being thrown into the town dump.
Dolls creep me out, but my grandmothers both forced them on me at least once a year. I don't know how people collect them, I mean houses just full of them...those eyes, I cannot.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Snow White. When the queen turns into the old lady. I used to love the movie, but once we were in Wal-Mart when I was really little, and it was playing on the TVs, and the scene where she turns into the old lady was on, and I SCREAMED bloody murder right in the store. I still hate that movie.

Twister was the very first movie I saw in theaters, and I'm really scared of tornadoes.

When I was pretty young, like 12, I saw The Ring with my cousins, and my older cousin rewound and PAUSED IT on that dead girl in the closet. I still see that face when I close my eyes at night sometimes...

i'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of for now.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Lets see, the guy that ran the saturday morning cartoon stuff ended up being a child molester. I ate breakfast watching him talk for how many years? THere was that stupid show with the dragon, and the talking flute, that show always seemed just too odd...Dark Shadows were weird to. Then there is the WAter Wiggle, a toy that wrapped around your neck and sprayed down your back, and CLackers based on the Alaskan Yoyo and guaranteed to smash your fingers. I can't remember the names of a lot of things but for sure, the Partridge FAmily and the Brady Bunch were just abnormal.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
The Brady Bunch weirded me out, I think it was how it was filmed and how they were dressed and made up. They looked like wax figurines moving around a plastic house.
Almost like an obtuse version of the uncanny valley, which is one of my biggest fears.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
The song "Pop goes the world" by men without Hats

My step mother used to sleep with the radio on and one night I had crawled into her bed. I woke up later during the night and that song was playing on the radio and it just sounded so eerie and creepy in the middle of the night in a pitch black room.

I still don't like to listen to that song lol

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Oh yeah, leaning backwards especially in chairs makes me PANIC and my mom says I've been like that since I was a baby. I'd bawl if she tried to lean me back in the tub to wash my hair or anything like that. Not sure what triggered it but it's always freaked me out.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Oh yeah, leaning backwards especially in chairs makes me PANIC and my mom says I've been like that since I was a baby. I'd bawl if she tried to lean me back in the tub to wash my hair or anything like that. Not sure what triggered it but it's always freaked me out.
This reminds me of my own fear of being chased up stairs. I have no memory of anything that would trigger this fear, unless dreams count. I am terrified of the idea of being chased up a flight of stairs though. I'm now positive that if it ever comes to that, I will certainly die.

Skivvies

This exact Sesame Street skit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yiqGtZXCmQ

To this day it weirds me out to watch it just because of how terrified I was of it as a kid. I adored Sesame Street and watched it daily... but as soon as I heard the music at the beginning of this skit, I would rush over to the kitchen and stay there until I heard the music again at the end.

To this day I have a horrid, gut-wrenching fear of inanimate objects coming to life, and I seriously think it started with Sesame Street. Crazy, no? Art least the YouTube comments make me feel better. I clearly wasn't the only one who thought this was freaky as all hell. :D
Ahh I remember that! It was creepy.

But this series of skits terrified me the most:
http://youtu.be/ts1WvLWbwEw
I was TERRIFIED of the part where the baker falls down the stairs, and it still makes me feel really creeped out and uncomfortable. Watching the counting stuff that leads up to it makes me really nervous, because I know it's going to end with that guy falling down the stairs with all those cakes or whatever. I used to have recurring nightmares about that baker.

This one also scares me:
http://youtu.be/0xfciIXD-sg
The feet walking in the paint, the paint splashing on the camera, and then the whole thing "melting" at the end...agghh

lizzybeth727

This was probably the scariest experience of my life (definately the scariest thing up to that point in my life):

First of all, I've been known to sleep walk, but I never remember doing it. I don't *think* I do it anymore, LOL, but apparently I did it a lot when I was little.

So I was probably about 6 or 7. I had a dream where I got out of bed, and tiptoed down the hallway to peek in on my parents in the living room. They were watching TV. On the TV - in my dream - was a commercial or something. It was a cartoon of a cat and a baby playing on the floor, and somehow the baby crawled over and plugged the cat's tail in the electric socket. The cat was shocked - as you can imagine in a cartoon - and then I think it was all charred and smoking. I was freaked in the dream, and then I woke up and just thought it was a nightmare.

A few days later, I saw the same commercial on TV.

I just started SCREAMING (and I DON'T scream, Mom taught us when we were little not to scream unless we're literally dying, LOL). I was screaming and crying, I'm sure I wasn't the least bit coherent enough to explain what had happened, and I think to this day my parents don't know what that was all about.

It was LITERALLY YEARS later when I figured out that I might have been sleep walking when I had the dream of the commercial. My parents probably wouldn't've even known I was sleep walking, I probably just peeked into the living room, saw the TV, and then went back to bed.... I just didn't dream the part where I walked back to bed.

Geez, I'm shivering right now just thinking about it.

I actually was thinking about this just the other day, how I wondered if the commercial was online somewhere. I only saw it once on TV (consciously), though let me tell you I was terrified of commercial breaks for a while there, thinking it might come on again. :(

If anybody remembers that commercial or knows anything about it, let me know, I'd kind of like to find it. I'm all about facing fears and stuff, LOL. I believe it would've been around 1992-1993. Of course I have know idea what it was advertising.

*shudder*

ETA: Ok, now I'm searching for the commercial. Except that I'm scared to find it and every link that *might* be it is making me jumpy. Anybody good with google want to search for me??? :p

JacksonsMom

OMG, oompa loompa's! I had a horrible dream once that the little green men popped out of the toilet and scared me and I went running. Yeah now I'm all freaked out again thinking about it because I'm about to go to bed lol. But I NEVER watched Willy Wonka again until, like, a few years ago. I was also terrified of sitting on the toilet for a while. hahaah.

Also, still don't like clowns. My dad had the It book by Stephen King (that was the one, right?) and I saw it one day while in our basement and ahhhhh. Scared the crap outta me. Still don't like clowns and NEVER watched the movie.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Ahh I remember that! It was creepy.

But this series of skits terrified me the most:
http://youtu.be/ts1WvLWbwEw
I was TERRIFIED of the part where the baker falls down the stairs, and it still makes me feel really creeped out and uncomfortable. Watching the counting stuff that leads up to it makes me really nervous, because I know it's going to end with that guy falling down the stairs with all those cakes or whatever. I used to have recurring nightmares about that baker.

This one also scares me:
http://youtu.be/0xfciIXD-sg
The feet walking in the paint, the paint splashing on the camera, and then the whole thing "melting" at the end...agghh
Weird... I remember the first skit, but the baker part completely escapes me! It IS creepy. I think it's mostly the camera angles switching in dramatic ways. It'd be less scary if they kept the camera in the same place.

That second one weirded me out, too. ugh.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
My father is a really wonderful parent and would routinely have me watch this with him when I was like, 5 years old...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae5XwkSguNI

I still shudder a bit at the ending. And that's just the intro.

I also still don't dangle my arm over my bed in fear of the under-the-bed-monster grabbing me.

Members online

No members online now.