weave spacing question

elegy

overdogged
i want to buy a set of 2x2s and start working with steve, but when i went to buy them i didn't know if i should get 22" spacing or 24". we'll be doing AKC, possibly CPE, and possibly NADAC.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
My instructor has both 22s and 24s and says she's not noticing a huge difference in striding for medium dogs, but that the little ones and big ones do change their weave performance a fair amount with the wider spacing. I train mostly on the 22s since we do USDAA and 24s aren't seen there, but it really does seem like you might be ok with either size.

xpaeanx

I wonder if training on the smaller ones, then sometimes competeing on the bigger ones may be better?

For most things it's usually easier if you're given more room than you're used to, but harder with less.

Just my thoughts though, someone with lots of experience will hopefully stop by shortly.

Dekka

Just try me..
I am not sure what the regs are. But if you are going to be doing mainly 24, train with those. They are so much easier on your dog's body.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I know some venues are changing their spacing regs. this year or next.

I personally would train on the smaller ones as it's more tightly spaced. But then again your dog is bigger than mine whom freely walk through the weaves with little bouncing LOL

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
AKC is considering switching their spacing to 24"... I think that'll pass. I'd get the 24" I think.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
AAC is going 24" as of sept 2010. Some people have been playing with weave spacing now. Training 22 and then competing 24 doesn't seem to be a problem. Opposite does though, pop outs and some jammed shoulders anticipating the next pole being further away than it is on 22s.

Training on 22 is harder on your dog though. We repeat the weaves way more times in training than in a trial.. So 24 is kinder on your dog's body.

BostonBanker

I think most of the venues will switch to the 24" spacing in the not too distant future. Most of the competitors seem to want it, and the science seems to back up the idea of them being easier on the dog. If I were buying for a young dog who probably won't see competition poles for a while, I think I'd go with the 24". Haven't had any experience with switching back and forth though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Members online

No members online now.