Nuts Ok?

Julie

I am back again.
I've heard that walnuts are toxic to dogs...
I think the green walnut skins around the shell are what is toxic.
My dogs have eaten a couple nuts here and there and never had any problems.

Although Charlie did get into a discarded pile of pumpkin seeds and ate some of them, which did not agree with him...He started salavating heavily and ended up throwing them up. Then he was fine.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
What about peanuts? That is what they make peanut butter from so those would be okay right?

Brattina88

Oh, Missy loves pistachios! We rarely have them, but when we do I can't keep her away from the, -lol- she has to have at least one or two before she'll let me eat in peace!
I agree with the statement above - in moderation!
The green part of black walnuts, and the hulls are deffenatly poisenous...
Here's what google/the ASPCA PCC had to say about Almonds, walnuts and macadamia nuts:
Their high phosphorus content is said to possibly lead to bladder stones. Dogs develop a tremor of the skeletal muscles, and weakness or paralysis of the hindquarters. Affected dogs are often unable to rise and are distressed, usually panting. Some affected dogs have swollen limbs and show pain when the limbs are manipulated.
Symptoms also include lethargy, vomiting, and hyperthermia usually start withing the first 3-12 hours after ingestion of large quantities.​

my guess is a dog would have to eat a lot of nuts to be affected like that :(

Last edited:

2nd2none

The only one I'm aware of and been cautioned about is macadamia nuts.
Macadamia Nuts.
"Macadamia nuts, also called the Queensland nut or Australia nut, can be toxic. The mechanism behind why these nuts are toxic is a mystery. However, it has been noted that as few as six to 40 nuts in dogs have caused severe toxic signs. Dogs develop weakness, depression, vomiting, difficulty walking, tremors, abdominal pain, lameness, stiffness and/or pale gums. The signs usually dissipate in 12 to 24 hours".
BTW, my dogs love pistacios, too!

Eeek! I will take note of the macadamia nuts! If my little had 2 small sized of those macadamia nuts, will he be ok? Gosh, I am so glad I asked this question!

Thanks guys for your input! I really appreciate it!

Members online

No members online now.