Which beeed for me?

krissy

IIf though I was going to suggest a breed I would say, even though it's way over your size limit, a retired greyhound racer might be a really good fit. But again, I'm not sure this is the right time to add a dog if you don't have your family on board.
This.

If one day you DO decide to investigate getting a dog, this might be the best and fairest option. The main reason we started looking at greyhounds was because we needed a quiet, low energy dog. I was still in vet school and my boyfriend had a full time job and isn't really INTO (read: likes them but doesn't want to do any work) dogs. We got Summit who was 5.5 years old at the time and had already been in a home for several years prior to being returned (no fault of his or his former owners, there was a cancer diagnosis). We knew when we got him that he was quiet, crate trained, house trained, liked to walk but not demanding for exercise. We have since added a puppy which is a whole different kettle of fish. But in general greyhounds are quite clean. They DO shed but they are a short coated breed and other than blowing their coats once or twice a year the shedding is generally minimal. They're typically very lazy dogs. Summit enjoys as many outings as you'll give him, but he also didn't suffer during my 3 weeks of exams when I would take him out 3-4 times a day for 5 minutes just to potty. I personally wouldn't recommend that as a long term schedule. And I could never do that with Kili who is very active.

I know lots of people do minimal activity with their greyhounds. They spend time loving on them at home but don't do a whole lot otherwise. And their greyhounds do great. Personally, I think it's a little weird to get a dog and not do anything with it beyond cuddle with it on the couch. I think the dogs enjoy having lives and doing stuff. I spend almost every spare moment I have with my dogs... hiking, training, playing. Why would you get a dog to not spend any time doing anything? Makes no sense to me, however I think that's pretty typical for the "average" home (or what I see to be average in my area anyway).

Seriously guys? The off topic comments really aren't necessary. I got 'sick of it' maybe wasn't the best wording. There's more to it than that. My apologies. It was just a lot of unnecessary stress mostly because my parents didn't support my passion for animals so it was no use keeping an animal in the house. It's not 'just' a hamster. They're pets who require care too. I wasn't able to handle my hamster and I rehomed him to a shelter volunteer. I also spent a ton of my money to make sure my hamster had a proper cage (40 gallon tank) proper food, etc. I really do love animals and If my situation was right, I would give them the best care possible.

I realize I'm not able to handle a dog. I already figured out that college, my parents, and all these other factors WILL get in the way. I'm NOT getting a dog. It's just not possible at the moment. I have realized that after a mature talk with my parents. So please no more rude comments about these toys. I get it.

I WILL be volunteering at a shelter so I can be around dogs and help animals that need it. Just because my situation isn't right, doesn't mean I can't volunteer. One person said that it was a good idea. The rest of you guys were just talking about my hamster and stuffed animals or what not.

My list is extensive. And I know I have to compromise. I won't find my 'ideal' dog if I don't compromise a little.

The really important things are:

A chill laid back dog
Doesn't shed/ isn't too messy
Few health problems

The exercise and training will be fairly basic.. So I wouldn't really want a dog like a German shepherd who is extremely smart and needs tons of mental stimulation and exercise. Does that make sense?

I'm not getting a dog right now. But I will definitely get one when my situation is better. (10 years or so? I'm not sure. We'll see when time comes) but I would like to know of a dog that fits this criteria. What is the perfect dog for me? I'm really just curious.u

And of course ill take my dog out. I'm a couch potato, but I still exercise lol. I will spend a ton of time with my dog (when I do get one)

Members online

No members online now.