I feel like I own a monster:/

mkj2013

So, Addie has a history of being possessive of me and snapping at other dogs like at my mom's house, or a friend's. These are dogs she has a history of playing with and enjoying, but more so lately she has become aggressive towards them when I'm around.

Fast forward to last week, the boyfriend and I picked up a Lab puppy for his sister and her husband, and are puppysitting him until next weekend. The puppy is a sweetheart, very submissive and easy going. He doesn't even try to play with Addie much less bother her at all. She has gone after him repeatedly now and I just don't know what to do with her. The first time it was because they were in the kitchen with food involved, fine I understand that. The second time she was on the couch, and he was walking on the floor near us. That got me quite a bit more upset. Now, she turns into a ball of obsession and aggression any time he's nearby. She will get so tense she will NOT relax, so we have just been correcting her and putting her up. Mainly because I don't know how to handle the situation and also for the safety of the pup and our sanity. She cannot relax, I feel so bad for her. She has always been an only dog, and she's so very stubborn.

One of these days I will want to add a puppy to our house, how in the world do I keep this from ruining her little life and having a house of fighting and separation? Also, more recently she has become kennel reactive and leash reactive to other dogs. She doesn't take correction well. She just comes back at you because she is so wound up.

What can I do?! She's just become so unpleasant this past week and I'm upset for her..

What do you mean by correcting her? If you mean like physically punishing or yelling at her there is a very good chance you are making it worse. I would read click to calm, behavior adjustment training, etc. get a behaviorist involved. And finally, some dogs just don't like other dogs. It's really not fair to her to keep putti g her arou d other dogs without deali f with the situation.

milos_mommy

Get the book Click to Calm :) it will be a HUGE help.

It sounds like she feels the need to resource guard a lot of things, food, YOU, her couch, etc. She probably felt so continually threatened by the puppy it's turning into aggression. It sounds fixable, though...but keep in mind Addy's a bulldog. DA is very common in bulldogs.

mkj2013

Thanks for the suggestion! By correcting, I do sternly tell her no and make her leave the room. Honestly that's all I could think to do I didn't want her to think it was acceptable:/

milos_mommy

For now, limit her exposure to other dogs unless you're setting her up for success. Make sure her experiences are positive, where she has nothing to guard (like a bed, food, high-value toys) and that you don't let her sit on your lap or sit by your feet and guard you around other dogs. Keep her play sessions short, reward her and make it fun when she's around other dogs and then once you're apart, make it more boring.

I'd start her on NILIF, too.

A good idea would be to find someone with a dog she seems to tolerate and go on walks together, not letting the dogs interact, just having them enjoy the walks while next to each other.

mkj2013

I feel like she is too intense already and needs more intervention.. Like right now her and the pup are separated completely because she cannot for one minute relax with him in the room. Outside she is better, she will approach him in a play stance or just ignore him. I feel like I need to find a way to have her enjoy his presence but right now she won't snap out of her trance long enough to reward her.

mkj2013

I do think the NILIF is a good idea, and I do try to keep her from guarding me but as things are now I have to be ready to intervene so I don't want to leave her across the room with the pup between us.

crazedACD

Walking is really great for introducing dogs together. Inter-household aggression is kind of common behavior for Frenchies/bulldogs. As Milo said keep everything really positive. Try to move the two dogs away where they can see each other but aren't reacting, and rewarding for good behavior. Move closer slowly while rewarding but keep it positive. Try doing this with other dogs if possible. Try working on 'watch me', stay, etc. It will take some time and work if it will happen. Don't allow her on the couch while the other dog is around.

Just keep in mind though...some dogs just don't tolerate other dogs around. It's unfortunate, but it happens.

adojrts

When the pup is gone, you can easily solve the RG (resource guarding) where you are concerned. The second she acts negatively, you leave, lock yourself in a room or better yet leave the house. Don't look at her, don't speak one word to her. That is the complete and opposite effect to what she wants......you. Works everytime.

mkj2013

When the pup is gone she will go back to her happy go lucky loves everyone self. She isn't at all possessive or mean with people. How could I still work on the issue?

~Tucker&Me~

Just a word of caution, when you scold and punish Addie for behaving inappropriately to this puppy, you are confirming her belief that other dogs are BAD and when they come near bad things happen.

Separate the two with a baby gate or other barrier with which they can see each other through and just start rewarding for calm, friendly behaviour. If the two are touching noses through the fence and getting antsy take a step back and keep them further apart while working on this. You don't want to get Addie started because every time she 'practices' this behaviour she is more likely to repeat it. Basically, keep them at a distance where she can remain calm and just start rewarding. What you want her to start thinking is that when the puppy is around or approaches, GOOD things happen, treats and toys and love appears ;)

And as the others have said, some dogs are more prone to DA than others and if that is the case you will probably have to simply accept and manage it accordingly. Unfortunately not all dogs get along and not all dogs can co-exist peacefully with others.

Members online