Show Dog People

lizzybeth727

I am a reluctant show person lol.

I show the whippets cause I should. Its ok, I don't find it fun. They find it ok, but its not high on their list of things to do. Running agility, a round of rally or a day coursing is much more fun for them and me.
LOL, that's pretty much what I was going to say. :D

I got Keegan under the expectation that I would show him, because his breeder thinks he'll do really well. I'm also usually very dissappointed in the quality of collies in the shows I've seen (though I'm super snobby when it comes to collie conformation, LOL), so I'd like to contribute in our small way toward improving the breed.

I just find it incredibly boring.

I haven't actually shown Keegan yet, but I've been shadowing my friend who shows her manchester terriers, and she's been giving us advice and training lessons. She LOVES showing, she's been doing it for something like 40 years, and honestly I think she's a little dissappointed that I'm not as interested in it as she is.

Also I think I talked my trainer-friend into showing Keegan for me. :D

Anyway, I don't think the politics and backstabbing etc. are as prevalant in the collie breed. Usually there's just a couple of smoothies at a show (the BIG show in Houston this summer had 7), so I think that helps. And anyway, I'm not a terribly social person, so if that stuff was going on, I'd probably never notice, LOL! My friend who I've been shadowing says that your best friends in the show world are going to be people outside of your breed.... it's nearly impossible to make good friends within your breed.

I do agree, too, that if you're just getting started in the show world, pick a breed that's not terribly popular. I went to a mid-size show this weekend.... most breeds were represented but most only had 2-4 entries. Except golden retrievers: there were SEVENTY-ONE goldens showing. :eek: I can't imagine how long it would take to finish a golden retriever, and there's got to be a ton of politics involved there, too. I mean really, how can you pick one best dog out of 71? It's practically impossible.

Fun thread, I'll be interested to see what others have to say. :)

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
IABCA is a different can of worms. At least here it costs a little more but at least you get a written critique of your dog usually from a very fantastic judge. Really UKC shows aren't that bad either, way more relaxed atmosphere than AKC shows. Less douschebaggery as well - akc for now is still the go to registry however.

I've given thought to changing over to the kennel club (UK) or Canadian Kennel Club but at this point I think I'll just stick it out with AKC as a registry hoping they'll get their collective ducks in a row eventually - or declare bankruptcy - whichever comes first.

pitbullpony

BSL Can Be Beaten
Hayley, just be true to yourself and your dog and remember why you decided to go show conformation.

Hellz, that applies to any event you choose to place you and your animal in, from conformation up to Schutzhund. If you and the dog aren't having fun; why are you there?

What made you decided to show?

What are the pros and cons of showing?

What breed did you pick and WHy??

Edit: How did you get into showing??

I started showing dogs in 4-H when I was about 9 yrs old. I started with my grandma's little benji looking mutt for the first couple years and she HATED it. I finally begged enough to get my own dog and my grandparents got me my own dog - a rough Collie, when I was 12. He was of poor quality, but did great for me, and agility was his favorite!! I showed in 4-H until I was 18. My last year in 4-H I bought my first AKC confo dog, a smooth blue merle Collie, he became my first champion. Around the same time, I bought a 14 month old rough blue merle female, from a breeder friend of mine, she would eventually become the foundation of the dogs I have now, and is behind every dog I currently own or co-own.

Pros of showing... the people you meet, many of them become great friends. I love to travel and just spend time with my dogs so its fun. Honestly it's a lot of work, but it's something I do enjoy.

cons.. it is very expensive. While you may meet great new friends there are still people that like to stab you in the back. It's very time consuming.

As far as what breed I choose and why. I didn't choose the breed, my grandparents got me my first Collie. Before him, having a Collie never even crossed my mind, but it was a good match and I cannot ever imagine not having Collies. I've had them for 17 yrs now.

I haven't actually shown Keegan yet, but I've been shadowing my friend who shows her manchester terriers, and she's been giving us advice and training lessons. She LOVES showing, she's been doing it for something like 40 years, and honestly I think she's a little dissappointed that I'm not as interested in it as she is.
Haha.. one of my smooth puppies went to Louisiana a few weeks ago. Maybe you'll see him out at shows in your area in the future!

cliffdog

I'm not a show person. I prefer working dogs. (See: Pedigree Dogs Exposed) That being said I'm getting an APBT puppy in the next few months and, just for fun, I'd like to show it ADBA. Might get a coonhound in the future (Black and Tan or Redbone... not sure!) and I'll probably show it too.

lizzybeth727

Haha.. one of my smooth puppies went to Louisiana a few weeks ago. Maybe you'll see him out at shows in your area in the future!
I'll keep an eye out for sure!

I'm not a show person. I prefer working dogs. (See: Pedigree Dogs Exposed)
I do too, that's one reason why I chose collies, and a huge reason why I chose the breeder I did. Her dogs are very versitle, they're good in the show ring but can also do pretty much anything else you might ask them to do.

IABCA is a different can of worms. At least here it costs a little more but at least you get a written critique of your dog usually from a very fantastic judge. Really UKC shows aren't that bad either, way more relaxed atmosphere than AKC shows. Less douschebaggery as well - akc for now is still the go to registry however.

I've given thought to changing over to the kennel club (UK) or Canadian Kennel Club but at this point I think I'll just stick it out with AKC as a registry hoping they'll get their collective ducks in a row eventually - or declare bankruptcy - whichever comes first.
We have shows like this up that are put on by the Canine Federation of Canada and follow FCI rules/standards. The CKC is not a registry that I would throw my lot into if you think the AKC is bad :( The AKC is gold standard compared to the CKC and where they are at in the past 2 years.

Hayley, just be true to yourself and your dog and remember why you decided to go show conformation.

Hellz, that applies to any event you choose to place you and your animal in, from conformation up to Schutzhund. If you and the dog aren't having fun; why are you there?
100% agree, We enjoy showing but not all of our dogs do. We have one that hates conformation (finds it too slow and tedious lol, now put something for her to chase and she is on) so she doesn't show conformation. The other one believes that the entire event is meant for her and just floats around the ring. We enjoy the crowd we hang out with and have a good time, we don't do it all year long and only hit select shows but we have fun doing it :)

I very much doubt you'd have the same sort of experience Kat or Mafia posted about in Cane Corsos.

I have been showing in AKC conformation for about 15 years and have finished several dogs and haven't really had those experiences. I have shown Belgians, GSDs, Greyhounds and a Briard. I've had the experience of some snide or snarly remarks now and then but usually from someone who's a poor loser and nothing on a regular basis at all. In fact, usually everyone congratulates the winners and goes on their way or stands ringside and chats after the show.

If you showed up at a show in my area as a newbie with a Belgian, myself and several other people would talk to you about your dog when we saw you ringside. We'd say nice things about your dog, even if they weren't what we'd personally pick out. We'd tell you about our dogs and what we do and probably encourage you towards training in obedience or rally or agility if you weren't already planning to. If you didn't seem to have anyone to help you out with grooming, we'd offer for you to come by our set up the next day and we'd help you groom your dog and tell you what to buy. We'd exchange email addresses and invite you to become FB friends. Afterwards you'd be contacted through our email loop when we are trying to plan where/when to show, so no one (including you) has to pay to go to shows where no one else will be. That is IME more typical of how it works with the lower number breeds. Everyone needs to be at least polite to everyone else or no one's dogs are getting any points and no one new will ever become involved with the breed.

As far as how people keep their dogs, the majority of people I know keep their dogs as pets. Many do other things with their dogs. Some breeders do have kennel only dogs but it's generally not well looked upon by others. The people I know mostly don't care who you got your dog from or don't say if they do. They mostly just care that you show up when you're entered and don't break the major ;)

I suspect having a less common, less competitive breed, your experience will be much more similar to mine. Of course, your attitude towards others in your area will also affect how you are treated. I don't see that really being an issue for you though. And don't worry if you don't have anyone to help you out who has the same breed as you. You aren't looking at a breed which requires special grooming or handling finesse. Find a place that offers good conformation handling classes and take your puppy. You will meet all kinds of people who show that will give you advice, critique your handling and help you out at your first shows. And of course, you'll learn how to handle your dog :)
Oh I wish that was the case in the Cane Corso world. It may be a new breed to the AKC but the breed has been actively showing in the IARBA for a long time and trust me there is no less competitive in this breed despite it being a less common breed. Finding a group that is more about the breed then themselves isn't impossible but isn't easy with this breed either. Find a group that you are comfortable, that isn't about cutting others down and about enjoying and helping others learn and have fun and you will enjoy yourself more. Don't give up if your first show experience isn't great, try a couple before giving up on the crowd entirely.

Members online

No members online now.