Puppy Training question

Patiencez

Has anyone ever heard of a trainer telling someone to put there foot on a puppies throat to teach it not to bite on your hands?

Patiencez

Sorry

Butterflywatcher wrote
To finish my comment.You just keep working with them..My puppy would bite playfully.so they told me to set in a chair and gently put my foot on his neck and repeat as much as you have to "NO BITE
Is this crazy or what?

Dekka

Just try me..
The dog trainer might. I know of people who have been told to put a choke chain on their dog and hold its front legs off the ground till it starts to loose consciousness. Or to hold your dogs head under water to stop them from digging holes.

There is nothing to stop anyone from setting up as a trainer.

Patiencez

OMG your kidding?
I always train my own Dogs because I know what I want them to be.
But I would never Hit them,Kick them or harm them.
But I would never atempt to train someone elses.
I did not know anyone could say they was a trainer...

antipunt1

I admit at this point that some of these methods seem like they 'might technically work'. But they honestly just seem like 'cheap-shortcuts' to kinder-alternatives that work just as well (that I -heavily- prefer....)

Ok let me see if i understand, sit on a chair and put your foot on your dogs neck...

Does this mean like how you would stop them from moving forward (blocking) or to literally put your foot in the throat and press....not great directions either way...

Yup i have put my foot out and stopped my dog when sitting, but i let THEM walk into my foot and they just turn around...not putting pressure on the dogs throat...

WEIRD

lizzybeth727

They said this was what the dog trainer told them to do.
insane I think.
I wouldn't be suprised if the trainer did tell them this, there are a lot of bad trainers out there (which is why you have to know how to tell a good trainer from a bad trainer when you're looking for one to hire!). But I think it's just as likely that this is what the person THOUGHT the trainer told them to do. Some trainers aren't very clear in what they're trying to advise, and some people assume the worst and don't ask questions. I'd ask that person if the trainer actually demonstrated the technique, and if not, why didn't he ask the trainer to demo?

Patiencez

It was on another forum an if they don't like your answer,
you never hear from them again.
I just can't believe anyone would put there foot on a dogs throat to Teach them no Bite.
But I guess it happens, I've seen people make there dogs fear them to get them to do what they want.

Members online

No members online now.