Training a Cat

I am planning on traning my cat but I dont want to give here fatty treats when she does something right. What should I give her? I cant cut my treats up because their to hard.So, any ideas?

Maxy24

You can use her regular dry food as long as she likes it. My cats will work for it although they work better for treats. I also don't like to give too many treats, no more than two at a time, it can make them vomit. Good Luck training!

Thanks Maxy, I am cutting up catnip and giving her a little pieces at a time, is that good?

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
If she'll work for the catnip, go for it! Though you may find she's a tad distracted from all that 'nip after a short training session ;)

I use normal treats, or kibble (which my cats don't get otherwise), for training sessions, I just remember not to give TOO many at once, which means training sessions are relatively breif.

The easiest way for me to train my cats to do anything is with their food dish. I use their natural behaviour to work towards the trick I want them to do (Buddy will stand-pretty for whatever I've got in my had, I've just taught him to do it on command). I don't put the food down until they've done what I asked :)

Buddy's my little brainer, he'll sit, stand pretty, and shake a paw now. I'm trying down, which will hopefully work into dead or roll over, but that's going to take more time!

Maxy24

Gah, I've been trying to train Neko down and he just won't go! How are you getting your cat to do it?

Boemy

Anything she likes to eat is a good idea . . . Maybe you can find some less fatty treats?

BTW, don't expect her to follow commands without treats, ever. Dogs will do that, but cats expect payment every time or the deal is off. :lol-sign:

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
For the right treat, my cats will do pretty much anything. lol. Once the treat is gone, don't expect a repeat though.

My first cat Bomart did used to roll over on command though. Very cute.

What you need to do is pretend you taught your cat to turn its back on you, swish its tail and walk away. They do that alot anyways....

yeah, she doesnt repeat unless she get something out of it:lol-sign: got to love cats, they keep you on your toes.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Msary, I just looked over your website. I couldn't find where you are located or your name. Could you provide, please?

Cat food works just fine for all of mine so long as they are hungery. If not I use treats.

I have strange cats going by what everyone has said here. Mine will do tricks with out me having food...

Members online