Where does your puppy sleep?

Colt is 7 months old now and he still sleeps in the kitchen gated in with baby gates. He has his bed and blankets in there but I feel just awful even though he seems perfectly fine with this arrangement and never complains. Colt usually falls asleep on the sofa with me while I am watching TV and when I go to bed I put him to bed. He always looks so cozy there on the sofa. My husband often works late and will take him out when he gets in before going to bed. I just don't feel like I trust him enough to leave him there as he still randomly chews on stuff although I never hear him get up until we wake up in the morning.

How do you know when it is time to let you puppy sleep where he wants? Does it coincide with him being able to stay unsupervised throughout the house during the day? About what age do you start considering this?

Scooter

On the bed with mommy and daddy. I know, I'll regret it down the road when she gets bigger, but right now it's just too much fun!

Before she was completely house trained, she slept in her crate.

em&ollie

Cavalicious
Ollie sleeps in a crate just next to my bed. It's great because I can here him wake up, before any accidents arrive

OOOOHHHHH she's cute!!!

Colt is completely housetrained and has been for some time. He was tinkling a little when he got overly excited but he hasn't done that for awhile. I worry that he'll go nuts when he sees everybody at once in the morning if he sleeps upstairs and pee all over the place.

Thanks for replying. This must be a boring thread......

R

RedyreRottweilers

When I first get a puppy it sleeps in a crate by my bedside.

When the puppy is sleeping through the night on a regular basis, the crate gets moved to the spare room.

My puppies generally sleep in the crate until they are at least a year old, but larger breeds are slower maturing, and more destructive when they make mistakes.

I don't rush to get a dog free of a crate. I feel it's much better to let good ha bits set in for a length of time before allowing the dog no restrictions.

Colt stays in his bed until we get up (in the kitchen). If it's Saturday and we sleep in, he does too. If we sleep too late, he'll bark to let us know he has to go. How old are Ollie and Scooter?

My instincts side with you Redyre. I don't think I should rush this and he seems content in the kitchen. I was thinking about a year old too...

Scooter

Actually, Scooter is her nick name for when she scoots her butt on the ground! Her real name is Zoe. She's 6 months old.

deb27

BlackJack sleeps under my blanket curled up next to my stomach. Zoey sleeps on my bed too, usually next to hubby LOL We do have dog stairs on the bed and I leave a puppy pad out incase they need to potty. It works well for us, no accidents :)

I'm wondering how many of you have children in the house or large families? Do you think this affects where you should let your puppy sleep?

bubbatd

My grand-dog Seger has slept in his fleece bed between his Mom and Dad since day one . In the beginning when he woke up or was restless , they knew to take him out . He's 11 + weeks now and sleeps through the night . Before they go to bed , they have found him asleep next to Nash's bed. He has had a few wee-wee accidents ( they admit it's their fault ) ...so I know it will be a while before he has free range to choose. Will be interesting .

Olivia

Isabella sleeps in her crate beside my bed her crate is on a couch up off the floor. During the day I leave the door open and she will pop in there of her own accord so i am hoping she will always consider it her own place, I never talk to her in there or allow anyone else to. I want her to be able to be in there when ever she wants without being disturbed ,at night just before the light goes off she lies there with her little head on her front paws, when the light goes off she grunts once and thats it until about 4 am in the morning so I am happy and so is she.It is amazing how one can fall in love with a puppy so much in just 3 weeks she certainly is a little heartbeat at my feet all day long. It is lovely to know there are so many of you out there that feel just the same as me, we all have special little puppies to love and the love we get back from them is really a gift , it is just so special. Our dogs are always there when sometimes humans are not.((Hugs)) from Olivia.

Bluedawg from 6 weeks old has slept in my room on or off my bed. At first every 2 hours I got up and took him outside whether he wanted to or not.

Verde was a year old when I got her and other than a reaction to her vaccinations has been completely housebroken, so she to sleeps in my room on or off my bed.

Sugardog

In the bed.

When I got Angie, she slept in the bed (Still does). Buddy (pitbull/basenji mix), who got parvo and had to be PTS also slept in the bed. And Rosie, a GSD at 10 months now, also sleeps in the bed and has since i first brought her home at 9 weeks old. The bed is a little crowded (I only have a twin sized), but I don't mind :)

Members online

No members online now.