I just realized what a bully stick is....

Doberluv

Oh! Right on that link there are some prices. Wow, they're not exactly cheap, are they. Well, no wonder. That poor bull had to give up a lot!

Nyla bones aren't cheap either....the ones for powerful chewers anyhow. Where do you get these at the best price? Does anyone know a good place?

Bailey08

Oh! Right on that link there are some prices. Wow, they're not exactly cheap, are they. Well, no wonder. That poor bull had to give up a lot!

Nyla bones aren't cheap either....the ones for powerful chewers anyhow. Where do you get these at the best price? Does anyone know a good place?
I buy from Bully Sticks - All Natural Dog Treats - Best Bully Stick. They have a special right now on bulk orders (yes, I buy dried bull penises in bulk).

Oh, and you can get Nylabones from PetEdge, but they do have a minimum order requirement (or you have to pay an add'l premium).

lizzybeth727

So, are these not apt to cause a blockage, like with raw hide? Are they perfectly safe? I am really getting excited about the prospect of buying some bully sticks.:p Are they expensive? My poor dogs only get Nyla bones and Kongs, which they don't like unless there's food inside. I did give them a little raw turkey neck yesterday and Toker threw up in the middle of the night and Jose` had messy poo poos. They need something fun to chew on.
Yeah, they're relatively healthy and usually take a long time to chew up. There was a thread recently about how long it takes a dog to finish one.

I heard what they were a few years ago and I didn't believe the guy who told me. :)

Lolas Dad

yes I know... I should have known... but I didn't.

I always just thought they were dried tendons..... and seeing as has how I never actually bought them before.... it just never clicked.

Well, at my training facility they sell stuff...collars, leads, training aids, treats... bully sticks.... Muffin was sniffing the box of the bully sticks, so I was like, "oh you want one, ok we'll get you one." Turns out he really likes them.... so I buy a big bag of 24 from the feed store....

then I read the "ingredients"

:yikes: :yikes: steer pizzle :yikes: :yikes:
If you read my reply about Laurelin's females fighting over a male... you might have been able to piece it together :rofl1:

Doberluv

Oh thanks Bailey. I'll check that out.

Ha ha Lizzybeth! That's funny. I wonder how many people really buy into this story. :p LOL.

CaliTerp07

I just read the link you posted, doberluv...interesting.

This part made me scratch my head though...

Compared to other dog chews, bully sticks last incredibly long time. It can take weeks for a small dog to chew on one bully stick, while large breeds may enjoy chewing of bull pizzles between a few hours and a few days.
Yeah...Lucy's done with a standard 6" one in about 20 minutes. Ugh. She's so food obsessed it's ridiculous. Better than the 5 minutes for a frozen kong though.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
That makes me feel better. That one looks bigger than the ones I give Lucy. Or else I'm confused how big Baxter is!
no --that was a larger stick--Baxter and Wilson both go through the six inch sticks very quickly--so I tried the larger one and I actually timed them! And hour was good! LOL.

adojrts

A few years ago, Laura-Leigh, myself, her son and my son (boys were about 12) were at the pet store. We were shopping for dog treats, our sons each picked up a bully stick. I asked them if they knew what those treats were and of course they said no. When I told them, both boys yelled and tossed those bully sticks so high in the air they almost went into the rafters of the store!!! At that point Laura and I almost ended up sitting on the floor from cracking up.......omg it was funny!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
In the beginning of manufacturing process the bull's penis that is usually 23-25 inches long, is removed and cleaned. It is hung vertically for the fluids contained to fully drain. Without these fluids bully sticks are odor free. At the next stage of processing bull penises are stretched, twisted or braided, dried and then may be smoked for flavor. The result is a 30-40 inches long very hard brown stick which is cut into pieces suitable for dogs of any size. Thus you can buy small bully sticks of 4'', large beef pizzles of 30 inches and any length between, such as 5'', 6'', 7'', 9'' and 12''.
LOL!

For some reason I've always known what they are and it's never bothered me at all. It takes my girls about a week to go through a 6 inch bully stick usually. They could finish in a couple hours but they usually lose interest about halfway through.

adojrts

I puchase the 30 inch ones and then my Hub cuts them up, its much cheaper that way, plus I can give little ones to the pups at this time. However, this thread now has me thinking.........my son knows what they are but I don't know if my Hub does, I have to ask!!

LauraLeigh

I puchase the 30 inch ones and then my Hub cuts them up, its much cheaper that way, plus I can give little ones to the pups at this time. However, this thread now has me thinking.........my son knows what they are but I don't know if my Hub does, I have to ask!!
Oh Boy..... I can see his face now if he does not, LOL esp. where he has been cutting them up for you!!:rofl1:

I remember that time with the boys, the looks on their faces were sheer horror!!!

michaelf

GAG.:yikes:

I didn't know...
When my poo was young someone told me to lick the end of the rawhide so it would have my scent on it cause she was so fussy. It worked.
We swiched to bully sticks last year and the practice continued, up until a few minutes ago..:lol-sign:

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream

I didn't know...
When my poo was young someone told me to lick the end of the rawhide so it would have my scent on it cause she was so fussy. It worked.
We swiched to bully sticks last year and the practice continued, up until a few minutes ago..:lol-sign:
:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady

I didn't know...
OMG! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Bamm Bamm LOVES them!!!!

Doberluv

LOL. This thread has turned into some good laughs! You guys are a scream! Love the horrified smiley. Too funny.

Members online

No members online now.