Dog Park?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
So.... Mia... (isnt' this how it always starts, lol?)

Mia is really active. I really think she needs some offleash time which is difficult since I'm in an apartment. I don't really like dog parks, but I think a good run every other day added on to her schedule would be really helpful. There are two dogparks here- one isn't segregated size wise so it's out. It's not very big and overcrowded when I've gone to look so it's just not something I want to put a 5 lb puppy in. I've found out about another that has a small dog section. I haven't been to look at it yet but my friend with a papillon goes there and likes it.

The problem? Summer. What do I do about Summer? She can't go to a dog park unless we go at really off times where there are no other dogs. She can't really stay home by herself because of her SA. She FREAKS when both Mia and I are gone. She's doing much better with her SA and I really don't want to set her back.

Last year I ran Summer in a field behind my old complex, but I really can't do that this year because there is none here. I took Mia onto a remote part of campus today and let her offleash in a field. I'm not sure it's completely allowed, but she had a blast and ran and ran and ran for 30 minutes straight. I read the sign about dog rules and it simply said this: 'Dogs are not allowed to roam the campus unsupervised'. What does that mean?

Last edited:

Lizmo

Water Junkie
It says exactly that. You're dog shouldn't be left outside without you.

It doesn't say anything about not letting your dog off leash with 100% supervision from you.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
It says exactly that. You're dog shouldn't be left outside without you.

It doesn't say anything about not letting your dog off leash with 100% supervision from you.
That's how I took it which is why I let her off leash. It just seems like a really weird way to say it to me. She did pretty well off leash. She came when called and didn't pay attention to the few people that walked past us.

Maybe I should longline her, just in case. I just am not sure if she sees something like a squirrel that she will listen. there's no roads nearby but I still am just not 100% with her yet.

She's actually tired today though after coming home.

Xandra

I usually only take my dog places that I can let him offleash. Leash walking is mutally hated by both me and the dog. 9 out of 10 times it's out the door without a leash, down the street without a leash and around the park without a leash.

Find out what tickets they could maybe give you, what fines/penalties there are, just to be sure you know what you're getting yourself into. I've never heard of a sign worded like that, like you said, it's weird... and "authorities" interpret things screwily sometimes. So I would recommend checking what they really mean and what could happen if you "disobey" them lol

If that's all kosher with you just let the puppies run. They're tiny fluffy dogs. I know this might be "irresponsible" to a lot of people but honestly, with this size of animal you probably aren't risking scaring or scarring or bothering anybody beyond a few seconds annoyance, *IF* something were to happen, right? Except for that jogger you mentioned a while back, but honestly, it was a healthy experience for him.

Keep her occupied, work on focusing on a ball or cat toy or whatever, if you see someone coming and she's "interested" throw the ball away from the people or bribe her to you.

:)

JMO

Members online

No members online now.