American Bull Dogs

tinies12

Okay what is a American Bull Dog supposed to look like? Are they all white or can they be brown white and black? Are they related to the Pit Bull????

tinies12

Wow; That is impressive! Thank you so much for the assistance. My husband for some reason has decided that he wants this breed of dog. I keep telling him we have Sasha!!!! But that's not good enough he wants a muscle dog!

Now we know I will be the one caring for the dog so here goes another question?? Since Sasha is a female do we get another female or do we get a male? If we get a male what is to be expected???

I wish the Old man would just be happy with Sasha!!!!!!!!!!! I am !:cool: In his words; You have a dog I should be able to have one too! How childish but again that's a man for you!

tinies12

Sorry; But yet another question?? Would we be better off to buy one from a rescue or purchase a puppy? Since Sasha is 4 months old should we wait till she is older? I just do not think it is fair to raise two pups at one time. Sasha is great but I do not know what to expect having two young dogs at the same time.:yikes: :confused:

tinies12

Sasha is a CKC registered Springer Spaniel. Cute and adorable! Lots of work but my bestest friend ever:cool:

showpug

Are you guys planning to spay her?

Generally, I think that the best combination is a neutered male and spayed female. It would be important that you spay Sasha before bringing a male home though.

tinies12

Most definetly; I do not wish to be a grandma at any time! Let it be two legged kids or four legged kids. I just love my little angle to much to let her go through anything like that.

She will be spayed at 6 months right on the nose no worries there what so ever. So if I find a bull dog breeder that is having a litter in a few months do I place a deposit on the pup then or wait till I see them?

Mach1girl

Shelter dogs are always best, as you are rescuing instead of feeding money to people that breed for the sole purpose. But, I wont go there because you are genuine in asking for help and information and probably unaware of the alot of what is out there regarding the breed.

If however you do buy from a breeder, make sure you see PROOF of the parents health cert and OFA. This breed can have and pass on several medical problems and the last thing you want to end up with is a puppy that you fall in love with developing hip dysplasia or a brain tumor.

A very touchy breed, be careful.Dont get me wrong, wonderful breed, but you HAVE GOT to be prepared.

Amstaffer

ShowPug and Mach1girl have given excellent advice.

>You should definitely get a male to go with your female
>Neutering is a must
>Rescue is a good idea but I would recommend a puppy younger than you present dog. I would also recommend that you wait a little while so you don't have two puppies at the same time. When your female gets to be about 9 months or more, it would be a good time to start looking. Hopefully that will give your girl the chance to establish dominance.
>If you do go to a breeder....do your home work on all the health scanning (Hips, Elbows, Eyes, Deafness...etc)
>Stay away from PET STORES!!
>Also...I am bias here but I would have your husband check out American Staffordshire Terriers or Staffordshire Bull Terriers. They both have the wonderful personalities (and Muscles) that the AB has but they are smaller and maybe easier to handle.
>Now if you get a Amer. Bulldog or one of the breeds I mentioned be aware that these breeds have a tendency to be dog aggressive. It shouldn't be a problem for your dog because they will bond tightly to your dog as part of the family especially if they are both fixed and one is a male and one is a female. But you (or husband) will really have to know what he is doing when he is taking your bully around other dogs once you male is over 2 years old.

That said Sal and Athena (both American Staffordshire terriers) are great with other dogs but I have spent LOTS of time socializing my dogs.

tinies12

Now that dog is SWEET!:cool: I will show the pic to the OLD MAN :lol-sign: As that is what he is.:yikes: Actually and I am making a funny Hank is better looking than my hubby of 27 years. I may just take Hank in and kick the hubby to the curb! Lol! No just kidding!

I think he'd be a good asset to the family and due to the fact he's already fixed I won't have any worries. I know I ask a lot of questions??? But will a rescue ship a dog to Canada? I guess I should contact them!

I have them at our Molosser shows allot and I show them UKC.
They are mainly WHITE but I have seen a dark tan one not brown or liver more tan.
They do have wide range of breed type.
They are very strong dogs competiing in top pulls in ukc.

Sadly TONS in Rescue and they are very good at rehoming to new homes.

showpug

Now that dog is SWEET!:cool: I will show the pic to the OLD MAN :lol-sign: As that is what he is.:yikes: Actually and I am making a funny Hank is better looking than my hubby of 27 years. I may just take Hank in and kick the hubby to the curb! Lol! No just kidding!

I think he'd be a good asset to the family and due to the fact he's already fixed I won't have any worries. I know I ask a lot of questions??? But will a rescue ship a dog to Canada? I guess I should contact them!
Rescues generally wont ship and the usually require you to pick the dog up. I used that dog as an example, but there are many, many more on www.petfinder.com! I just though he looked tough and I know your hubby likes that ;)

I also want to add that regardless of rescue or puppy...do your research on this breed and tons of it!!

tinies12

Wow I am so pleased that I found this forum. I have learned tones and that's wonderful. Now I know my husband would love a Stafford Shire or Pitt although it is banned in my area. What a shame too. A friend has one and she's just lovely.

Now I did contact a breeder and they said they have the Johnson bloodline. I will state I am getting confused with the differant type out there.

Amstaffer

Wow I am so pleased that I found this forum. I have learned tones and that's wonderful. Now I know my husband would love a Stafford Shire or Pitt although it is banned in my area. What a shame too. A friend has one and she's just lovely.

Now I did contact a breeder and they said they have the Johnson bloodline. I will state I am getting confused with the differant type out there.
Make sure the people who enforce those bogus Breed Specific Laws in your area, know the difference between a Pit Bull and and a American Bull Dog. In some places people think they are the same thing :(

Mach1girl

And if they use excuses such as "almond eyes" to compare the bsl, you better not get any bull dog breed!

If it against the law, dont do it, and like he said, check on how local suthorities dtermine what breed you have. Many consider both the same.
Johnson is a good bloodline, still check OFA and health exams.

Too bad pits are banned, they are an easier breed IMO.

tinies12

Make sure the people who enforce those bogus Breed Specific Laws in your area, know the difference between a Pit Bull and and a American Bull Dog. In some places people think they are the same thing :(
No ****!!!:yikes: I know Jerry has had a lot of problems with the township regarding her pit. She's complied with the rules left right and center but they keep on picking on her.

I am going to check into it forsure now and get what I need prior to purchasing the pup. I would hate for some stupid idiot cause issues just because they think they can!

I have testified in 2 cases on Ontario when the American Bulldogs were wrongly ID'd as pits.

We won one cases cause we had the back of of the abra but lost the other one since the dog had no papers.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Do a TON of reserach into this breed before you get one! They can be both dog and people aggressive, as well as very, very headstrong. Combine that with their muscles and you've got a potential problem on your hands.

Members online