Another thread got me thinking.........

If a dog had a litter of puppies at a young age......lets just say 1 year old for example, would that in effect be the same as a Teenager (Human) having a baby.
I mean like would the dog still be so young that she would rather be doing her own thing than nursing a litter of pups?
Would it make a difference as she would still be a puppy herself?

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
In some cases a young mother dog does not care for her young properly when she gives birth at a young age by rejecting her litter. Same goes for a young teenage girl who just doesn't care for her child well. I think in some cases it would hold true but not all.

bubbatd

Not only the mental issues, but growth is involved. That's why most testings can't ( shouldn't ) be done until a dog is 2 yrs. old.

bubbatd said:
Not only the mental issues, but growth is involved. That's why most testings can't ( shouldn't ) be done until a dog is 2 yrs. old.
I understood about the growth and health testing........just wasn't sure if there would be mental implications for a puppy having pups.

L

LabBreeder

A neighbor has an 8 month old GSD/mix that's due next week. "Raped" by the so-called Sharpei.
I don't think she'll care for the pups cause she's a pup herself. She won't understand what's going on with her body and what she's supposed to do with these new additions coming out of her. I feel sorry for the dog. :(

Brattina88

This is by no means scientific or anything, but In My Experiance yes!

I've seen young mom's very scared during the whole pregnancy/birthing process, not very attentitive, irritated quickly with the pups, and then seem to be depressed...
Pups having pups
just like Kids having kids IMO

T

tessa_s212

Caren+Bailey said:
If a dog had a litter of puppies at a young age......lets just say 1 year old for example, would that in effect be the same as a Teenager (Human) having a baby.
I mean like would the dog still be so young that she would rather be doing her own thing than nursing a litter of pups?
Would it make a difference as she would still be a puppy herself?
Our black cocker, Pepper, had a litter of puppies around the age of 1. Not sure if it was after or before she turned a year, but she was just a baby herself.

Pepper refused to have anything to do with her own puppies. She gave birth to them outside in a dog kennel. If it had not been for me hearing a few crying and screaming they probably would have died. We had another dog that had puppies just a few days later, so lucky us just had the one mom feeding all 14 puppies, though we did bottle feed the runts.

Our oldest girl, Ginger, also had puppies at a very young age. She actually gave birth to them outside and left them to die. My mom heard one of them crying and saw that it was a puppy. Though, eventually we did get her to see that they were puppies and she started caring for them.

I definitely believe a younger dog has more of a chance to not want to care for her puppies.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Tessa why did your dogs have puppies.....I dont know how old you are but it doesnt make sense. 2 litters cant be an accident. Well I guess it can but seems wierd to me. Guess I am a little curious and concerned:)

Anyways young dogs should not have puppies for many reasons. Most of them talked about already.

Brattina88

Tessa's one of Chaz's kids-who-are-more-mature-than-the-adults lol
I think she posted somewhere before that her Mom bred the cockers, and being a kid she really couldn't do anything about that, and/or didn't know any better ;)

T

tessa_s212

MomOf7 said:
Tessa why did your dogs have puppies.....I dont know how old you are but it doesnt make sense. 2 litters cant be an accident. Well I guess it can but seems wierd to me. Guess I am a little curious and concerned:)

Anyways young dogs should not have puppies for many reasons. Most of them talked about already.
I am 16. :)

Nope. Our litters weren't on accident. Well, some were. Pepper's first litter that young was an accident, and Ginger's first litter was an accident. And we also had another accident when Ginger had her last litter before she got spayed.

My mom was a huge BYB. Our poor old girl, Ginger, must have had at least 5 litters before she turned 7 years old.

But no worries. I got into dog training when I was 8, and started learning.. and eventually through years of prying and begging, all of our dogs(besides Marq-his breeders own his "equipment" on a co-ownership) are spayed and nuetered.

DanL

You guys are thinking that dogs have emotions and understanding like a human has. A dog that gives birth is going on nothing but instinct. I'm sure that many young dogs that have litters are fine mothers, just like many older mature dogs that have litters are not good mothers. Think about a wolf or fox or coyote. You think they are waiting till they are 2 years old to breed? Maybe the success rate is lower with a younger animal but its not because they are desiring to go out and play and be carefree and not want pups. They don't think that way.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
tessa_s212 said:
I am 16. :)

Nope. Our litters weren't on accident. Well, some were. Pepper's first litter that young was an accident, and Ginger's first litter was an accident. And we also had another accident when Ginger had her last litter before she got spayed.

My mom was a huge BYB. Our poor old girl, Ginger, must have had at least 5 litters before she turned 7 years old.

But no worries. I got into dog training when I was 8, and started learning.. and eventually through years of prying and begging, all of our dogs(besides Marq-his breeders own his "equipment" on a co-ownership) are spayed and nuetered.
I thought so! Wasnt sure though. Parents make mistakes too. Glad your mom chose to do something about it.

Members online

No members online now.