Dog in an apartment

Woofy

Im thinking of adopting a dog from the local shelter but i live in an apartment. I havent had a dog before so im unsure about this. i have neighbours who keep dogs but im wondering if its good to keep such animals in enclosed spaces. i love dogs and i have really been thinking of adopting one but now im confused. somebody help!

Zeus

Beware... i may bite
Depends on the size of dog your thinking of having, do you know what your looking for at all? I think that most dogs adapt to their owners living arrangements pretty well and as long as they get suffcient exercise, play and attention they need i shouldn't see any problem.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I raised my husky/rott mix in an apartment. It made for extra work, but we got along great. There was a dog park only a mile away, so he got a lot of exercise and was very happy.

The only problem I really had was that housetraining was a little more challenging. There's nothing like taking a puppy up and down three flights of stairs every 2-3 hours. :rolleyes:

kelbel

I lived with my two dogs in an apartment. I would take them to the dog park for 1 hour (or more) every morning and walk them for 45 min after work. They did really well with this schedule. Gempress is right about housebreaking. It's no fun in an apartment. I would look for an adult dog if I were you.

katt

www.PhotoKat.net
We live in an apt. with our older puppy, 6mo or so. He does great.
He is also a pretty laid back dog, was already housetrained when we got him.. doesn't bark a lot and sleeps a lot. We play fetch in the apt. We throw his toys down the hallway. Helps him get a bit of exercise, especially when the weather is really crappy.

We also make sure to go on walks and potty outings at least 4x a day and visit doggie parks when we can.

I think it depends on the dog or puppy. Maybe find one who's lived in an apt. before?

It really depends on the dog. My -ex has a lab that lives in the apt. with him. And it was used to being chained to a doghouse outside in all elements its whole life before he got her. So, she really enjoys being inside with her loving owner! Heck, I live in a little house and it might as well be an apt. Have a fenced in backyard, but Hunter stays glued to my side inside the house day/night :rolleyes:

Saje

Island dweller
As most of you know we had Mav in an apartment when he was a pup and he needed a LOT of exercise. An hour at the dog park was good for his mind but then he'd need another hour or two walking and playing and running. If you are willing to put in the time you could probably do it with most dogs. However some breeds (particularly herders) will be hard to keep. Are you a jogger?

R

rottiegirl

Depending on how active you and your new dog is, I wouldnt consider getting a dog over 40 pounds. But if you are very active, a larger dog would be ok too, but just be prepared to have your hands very full all the time! I had a bad experience with my rottie/dobe mix.

Members online

No members online now.