luxating patella question

Does anyone know about luxation of the patellas? Sage was diagnosed with a mild grade one medial luxation of both patellas's(dislocating kneecaps) last year soon after we got her. We found out because she held her leg up briefly 3 times in a month during play, and the vet said she could feel the patella's luxate. But since that time she has never done it, it's now been 9 months without a hitch, limp or anything. She runs and plays like a fiend, although we do avoid lots of jumping and twisting activities like agility. Is this something that can go away, I thought once you had it, you had it unless you had the operation, which she doesn't need yet if ever. She was kept in a yard without much exercise before we got her. I wonder if all the exercise she now gets has strengthened that area, but I didn't think that was medically possible. She acts now like she doesn't have a problem at all. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
W

Whitedobelover

ive been in alot of surgeries to fix it... but as a human i have a similar problem withthe patella and yes it can be strengthened in my experience and according to my medical doc... but in a dog I dont know... hmmm kim will have a good idea more about... her name is doberkim she will be able to expand more about it if there is therapy and so on.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Yep, the muscle around it can be strengthened and make it less likely to slip -- But I don't think they'll go away entirely. I have a Papillon that lives with LPs and does just fine. (Ask anyone who's met him - he's still extremely active.) His knee hasn't slipped in a couple of months now. Both patellas can still be manually luxated with ease, but since his aren't severe, they really don't bother him as long as he doesn't twist them in the wrong direction.

I never had to go that far to look into it, but I'm sure there are exercises you can do to help their muscles strengthen and probably dietary supplements that would be beneficial. (While Ripley was having trouble with his knees, I just supplemented his diet with glucosamine.)

Members online

No members online now.