Goldendoodle questions

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I vote Onyx, because Lexie is a very common name and you don't want your dog getting confused with everyone elses, now do you? ;)

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Zoom said:
I vote Onyx, because Lexie is a very common name and you don't want your dog getting confused with everyone elses, now do you? ;)
no, I don't. We are looking for a name that isn't all that common because we like our dogs to be...unique. Like I still to this day haven't heard of another dog named Hannah (not to say there isn't one) and when people find out her name they are just like "why on earth did you name her that?"

yentna

suzilex said:
Have you thought of a giant schnauzer they are great dogs very energetic and versatile they don't moult and are recomended as hypoallergenic.Ithink one of these would fit your bill nicely. They are used as police dogs in Germany.Also Russian Blacks are good too.
Sue
Hmm, hadn't really considered a giant schnauzer, I'll have to look them up. Russian Blacks? I've never heard of them.

Also, has anyone had a dog with diabetes?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I never heard a lot about it. I have heard it is quite costly to treat at the beginning while they are trying to figure out the correct doseage of whatever medicine is administered.

yentna

Giant Schnauzer Club of America said:
A surprising number of people say they're inter*ested in Giants because some member of the family (usually a child) is "allergic to dog hair", but they've been told that "Schnauzers and Poodles don't shed, so there's no problem". Such breed promotion to the con*trary, the idea that Giants never shed and therefore are non‑allergenic is an unfortunate myth, without medical or scientific basis. While regular stripping and plucking can reduce to a minimum hair shed by the well-*groomed Giant on clothes and furniture, an experienc*ed breeder‑owner gives a more forthright picture: "If Giants don't shed, where do all those little heaps of black hair come from that accumulate in the unswept corners of my house?" A check with an allergist con*firms that the usual "allergic to dogs" reaction is not breed‑specific. So if there's an allergy problem and your kid sneezed and broke out in hives until you got rid of your gundog or German Shepherd, don't look to the Giant Schnauzer as some kind of miraculous excep*tion.
http://www.giantschnauzerclubofamerica.com/Rescue/about-breed.htm

Sigh, no go there. :( They are beautiful though! And I like the protective part for sure.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
It will require much more care than the average dog and there are some boarding places that won't take a diabetic dog because of all the things that can happen. Insulin levels need to be monitored, shots given, food prepared...it can be done, but it's a lot more work, and there is the increased risk of blindness and seizures.

yentna

juliefurry said:
I never heard a lot about it. I have heard it is quite costly to treat at the beginning while they are trying to figure out the correct doseage of whatever medicine is administered.
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?ac...740-app4&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

This puppy is just so cute, I emailed them for more information to see what they had to say about his activity level and so on. I have some experience giving dogs shots, but it's been awhile. I think he's probably got the dosage for his size figured out right now, but......I'm still just curious. I feel bad for him too, because what are his odds of getting adopted???? We probably won't adopt him either, but I figured it's worth the checking out.

Edit - oops, wrong linky.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
it is definetely worth checking out. I mean if you have the time to administer shots he should be ok. Plus they'll probably show you how to do it at the shelter.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
yentna said:
How does one tell if a doodle puppy will shed?
you won't know until the dog is fully grown and has its adult coat. that's the sad thing about this whole thing. people buy these dogs and have no guarantee, despite what the "breeder" claims. then the dog grows up, ends up with a coat that is not "hypoallergenic" (no such thing anyway) and what do people do? make a choice between living with allergies, or dumping the dog.

most doodle breeders only sell F1 crosses anyway, meaning the puppies resulting from breeding a poodle to a golden or lab, etc. - this is not even a "real" doodle, it's a fad crossbreed.

i wouldn't say that all breeders who breed goldendoodles or labradoodles are bad, unreputable folks, but a real doodle breeder does not just produce F1 crossbreeds, he (or she) will develop his "breed" by carefully planning a breeding program and breeding "doodle to doodle" down the line, until the dogs breed true in appearance, coat type etc.

yentna

Thanks Mordy and Julie, and everyone else. I do appreciate the time you've spent helping me...I think we're getting closer to a decision. Anyway, I'll be offline for the weekend, but please post any more advice or ideas, check out that puppy link I put up and let me know what you think, and so on. I'll be back on to see what you all have to say sunday night or monday morning. Cheers!

joce

My pound has an older poodle right now. Looks big to me. Definately needs groomed though. http://www.loraincounty.us/website/index.asp?webpageid={ACC7C3DA-99C1-4EE0-B8E9-9AA9E3A1218B}
copy and paste the link :)

B

BlackDog

yentna said:
I'm a new member (obviously), My BF is allergic, so we need a dog that doesn't shed, but also can handle backcountry skiing with us, so we've chosen the goldendoodle.
Expect to find mixed results with mixed breed dogs. The only garentee they have is a high price. There are many established purebred breeds out there that have those characteristics you want. And most of them cost less than the Goldendoodles I've seen. Plus they are usually healthier, depending of who you buy from, have better temperaments, and are easiler to come by.

When people first heard I was getting a standard poodle I was on the receiving end of alot of groans and whatnot about why would I want a wussy dog like a poodle, etc., etc.!

Then I got Farley and all those same people were so surprised to see that he was in fact a "regular" dog who loved to retrieve, swim, romp & play. Then 2 yrs later we added Chloe to our family. In fact my brother, 6'3", 250+# now wants a standard poodle of his own! :)

This breed is a pure joy and I have no doubt one would happily keep up with you & your boyfriend's activities. They are also a pleasure to train - out of all the dogs I have had over the past 40+ years they have been the easiest. :)

joce

And not surprisingly when they updated the site today he was already gone :) I've seen them in my shelter and the pound quite often. I think there must be a bad brreder around here because I've always heard they are hard to find. Poor doggies.

yentna

joce said:
And not surprisingly when they updated the site today he was already gone :) I've seen them in my shelter and the pound quite often. I think there must be a bad brreder around here because I've always heard they are hard to find. Poor doggies.
So sad - I just got home a bit ago, went to look at that link, and you're right, he's gone. Oh well, we've applied to adopt that doodle puppy, see if we get approved or not. If not, we'll keep looking, probably for a standard poodle. Grin.

yentna

So we applied to adopt the Goldendoodle puppy, Cooper, from a rescue, but haven't heard anything at all in two weeks. What's the etiquette? I emailed them again but did not get a response, though my first email inquiring about the dog resulted in an immediate response (telling me thanks for my thoughtful inquiry, but they couldn't talk about him to me until they had an application).

Two other rescues we looked at, for other dogs, were very prompt in their responses, one even approving us after a few days, but we want this dog! It's frustrating. Is it a sign that they aren't on top of things to not even get a "we've got your application, give us x amount of time to review it"?

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?ac...=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Keep in mind that most if not all rescues are run by volunteers who have their own full-time jobs and families to deal with. Plus there's probably a mountain of applications on top of yours to dig through. I would give them one more week and then send a very polite "I hadn't heard anything, so I was wondering..." email.

yentna

True, and we really really do want that pup! I keep having dreams about him and about dogs....i.e. dreams where a little girl is promised a puppy for Christmas, then tries to hide her tears when she opens the box and it's a puzzle, while trying to thank the evil aunt that went back on her word. Crazy, no?

Well, I emailed them, and if I haven't heard anything by next monday will email them again. The phone doesn't go to people, but each option to a voicemail, so I'll stay away from that for a while. We are just worried that by the time they get to our application, he'll be adopted (good for him, bad for us). :)

Members online

No members online now.