How Did S/N Go With your Dogs?

Juicy

As far as the benefits and risks goes?

For the benefits in my dogs, as far as no marking and humping.

Pepe was neutered when he came to us, but he still tried to hump and he marks on walks.

As far as no aggression goes, none of my dogs are 'aggressive', but Princess my doxie will growl sometimes in excitement I believe though, like houseroughing and chasing after another dog, but I think its a breed/hound thing? But she is clear on the fact that she's the alpha female in the pack.

For the risk, as far as gaining weight...my dogs have kept the same weight as before, average weight, active {not lazy} dogs.

But for Valentino as far as raising his leg, he's 10months and still hasn't raised his leg, not sure if its because we got him neutered early {4 months} or because it still might take some time before he does.

Oh and as for calmer dogs? .............:lol-sign:

Last edited:
Corvus is neutered and honestly, I can't tell a bit of difference in him behavior-wise. His activity hasn't gone down any, he hasn't gotten fat, etc.
He was neutered a year ago at approx 7 months of age and he just recently started hiking his leg on things in our yard. :rolleyes:
He's still a dominant mouthy dog aggressive little twerp, but I didn't expect the neuter to change that. It's just who he is.

Hannah isn't spayed and won't be unless she develops pyometra. She has major problems and I won't subject her to another surgery which could easily kill her unless the only other option is that she would die without it.

Erica1989

I have a 2ish year old mutt in the house, who is neutered - Casey. Casey was neutered before I adopted him, around 10 months - 1 year (not sure when I had him done...I had him longer as a foster first).
I also have a 5 year old intact aussie right now too - Ben.
Neither dog marks, neither humps anything 4 legged, or 2. Casey is hyper, but that's his breed. Ben, on the other hand, is very laid back. We go for walks, and then he sleeps all day. Honestly - if I didn't know THEY were there, you would think he was neutered! He shows no interest in female dogs when we're at the park - he just wants the people.
I think the marking is more of a training thing, honestly. Both used to mark on walks, but I do not allow it - they potty, we procede, and it's a done deal. They both lift their legs to pee, but that's about it.
I have a 6 week old male intact puppy too - but I don't think he counts. He'll be neutered and placed for adoption once he hits 8 weeks - providing his testicles have dropped!

bubbatd

Mine were always intact for breeding purposes . I saw no difference when they were S/N in later life .

Alexa is spayed and there was no difference in her behaviour or any weight gain or anything like that.

I don't think she even knew what happened. She didn't even notice her stitches or anything.

But she's strange.

Juicy

The recovery took a day, silly dogs. The didn't go on meds or nothing since it was a low-cost clinic, and they were just fine, didn't need the e-collar, nothing.

Dekka

Just try me..
Kaiden is intact. He has NEVER humped a thing (well other than actual breeding) and he is very good in the house unless there are a girl in heat here. He is the 'true' alpha dog in that he is not growly or aggressive in anyway. He just knows if he wants something its his. (dekka flipped over and showed her belly to him a few days ago...)

Snip was fixed a few months back at around 3 1/2 years. He had never humped. It did slightly curb his over the top territorialness with other males in the house. (He has always been fine away from home)

Dekka is intact, so is Dash and Bounce. Dash (male) is just starting to think of peeing on things (he's almost a year and a half) Bounce is a girl and she likes to Hump Dash. So does Dekka (also a girl) Dash seems fine with it...

So over all I don't see much difference.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Spaying didn't change Sarama . . . although her first heat, prior to being spayed, did. It was like she grew up.

As for the spaying, it bothered her for about a day. She did get a minor infection with her incision, but it was not life threatening and was easily handled.

Sarama always humped (she's female, so its a dominance thing) and she did it less after being spayed, but she still does it.

She gained a little weight, but she also stopped growing at about the same time.

As for benefits, I definatley would have had it done, even if it was not required. I might have waited a bit longer, until I was sure she had stopped growing, but since she's a mixed breed, I consider spaying a necessity unless there's a medical reason not to. Its not worth the risk of having another litter of mixed, unwanted puppies in the world.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Ares was neutered at a year and a half. It did help his over-the-top marking. He was aggressive before and that didn't change at all.

Morgan was spayed at 5 because of some major discomfort during her heat cycles. The only change I see is she doesn't have get as miserable twice a year.

M

MyHorseMyRules

Neither of mine are spayed yet, and I didn't know my last dog before he got neutered. Raja's first heat did change her, though. She's matured quite a bit.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Daisy was spayed at 6 months before her first heat. Her energy level didn't change, and she didn't get fat or anything like the myth says because we watched her diet and exercised her properly. She does have incontinence, which I have heard can be caused by spaying early, and we give her hormone pills for it. The incontinence problem didn't start until she was three years old or so. I think if she was intact, she'd probably be more annoying and moody. :p

Benji was neutered around 8 months (I think he was about that old when he came to live with us) and he still marks everywhere outside; once he matured his prey drive and DA toward male dogs larger than he is came out. :rolleyes: terriers. He humps other dogs at times, but he never humps people or objects (well, my sister said he humped one of her girl friends once before he was neutered, and she put a stop to it immediately). If Benji was intact, he'd probably mark in the house and be even more stubborn than he is.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I've never had an intact dog so I don't really have anything to compare them to... Molly was spayed when we got her; Lucy was spayed at 6 months old and I don't think it made any difference on her. She's always been lazy, lol.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Spay and neuter has always gone very well with both my cats and dogs. We always neutered and spayed but this time around I decided to keep my male intact to full maturity. He is very well mannered and very well behaved. I have worked with dogs for over 15 years and I have seen alot of unruly ill-mannered males that should have been neutered but I blame the owners for that. You can keep an intact male as long as you are responsible and TRAINING is a must! Caiza will most likely be neutered eventually. He was shown in conformation as a pup and I was going to do some schutzhund with him but I still haven't pursued that avenue as of yet.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
There was really no difference in Sally. Jack stopped humping every dog that would stand still long enough and stopped marking for a while (he was altered at a year old) but then started marking again when he approached 2 years old....

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Bronki was intact and certainly well mannered and never hiked his leg where he shouldn't have nor humped. None of my male dogs did. THat said his father did develop testicle cancer when he was 12.

VIctor had a reaction to the gas that made him look like he had been stung by a billion bees. I wish i had known before hand that his breed was sensitive. I was lucky for one man posted on CHazhound that his ENglish pointer did not survive his neutering.

Mary was fine with her ordeal but her mother was quite sick and vomitted ALOT until it was all out of her system.

Members online

No members online now.