Attacked!

I was out walking OC on New Years Eve around 6-ish and we were passing a house with the garage door open and two guys inside working on something (couldn't see what). Suddenly a big black lab and an even bigger flat coated retriever mix come zooming out of the garage barking their heads off. They hesitated at the end of the driveway when both the guys called them to come back but then the flat coat crossed the street anyways and the lab followed suite. Both dogs attacked OC, the flat coat at his neck and the lab chewing on his tail. To my surprise OC for the first time in his life actually tried to fight back!! He bit the flat coat on the ear. I kicked the flat coat in the side and screamed "HEEEEEEEEEEY!!!!!!!!!!!!" at the Lab which made both dogs back off and cower. I grabbed OC's collar and put him between my legs so niether dog could get at him without me being right there. By this time the guys had come rushing out and were yelling at their dogs to get back in the garage (which they eventually did) and then got all appologetic about the incident. I mumbled a "Forget about it" to them and walked off with a very riled up OC (he was acting like he was ready for round 2!).

After a couple blocks I spotted Smokey, an old Alaskan Malamute who OC adores. I cautiously let OC sniff him, unsure of how the attack was going to leave him but he was absolutely fine with Smokey! Phew! A little while later we ran into a beagle and after that a pug, both which OC had never met and he was his normal self with both of them as well. I was so relieved to see the attacks hadn't dampered his dog-loving, playful spirit at all! We were lucky!

Oh ya, and there were no marks left on OC from the attacks, had it been a dog with a lot less fur I would expect to see something but it's tough to get to his skin! What's with OC and getting attacked by black labs though? This is the 3rd attack in his life and all 3 a black lab was involved!

R

RedyreRottweilers

See, this is the sort of incident I live in fear of. My dogs WOULD fight back. And no matter the circumstances, they would get the blame.

I carry a weapon when I walk my dogs. Either a large stick, or a riding crop. I just can't stand that people do not keep their dogs confined.

I get scared of that too. There are so many dogs around here that arent owned and are loose.. Haven.. I really dont know if she would fight back. Shes labeled as a Pit Mix, she she might get the blame. Shes always on a leash, unless shes in my yard.

oriondw

user not active
RedyreRottweilers said:
See, this is the sort of incident I live in fear of. My dogs WOULD fight back. And no matter the circumstances, they would get the blame.

I carry a weapon when I walk my dogs. Either a large stick, or a riding crop. I just can't stand that people do not keep their dogs confined.

I feel exactly the same way. I feel id be safer killing the attacking dog myself then letting my dog do it. Because if he does it, he will get blamed, and If i do it, it will be considered self defense.

I hate double standards in dog world :(

I hate when people are so irresponsible. I have been rushed a few times and was attacked once while walking and it really ticks me off. I know my dogs would definitely fight back. I'm glad poor OC is okay.

RedyreRottweilers said:

That worries me a little...Tippy (dog in my signature) has, as you can see, lots of black and tan. In fact, she has been mistaken for a purebred German shepherd before...so many people think if it's big and black and tan, it's evil...if we were attacked, she would definitely defend us.

minismom

I was walking our rottie/pit mix one day this last summer. Our town is very small, only about 500 people in it. Well we have trouble with strays all over town anyway but they are really bad on my street. I was coming across the road after our walk and had my dog on a lead. Well I heard this awful barking and growling. Looked down the road and here they came at full run, it was a pack about 6 or 7 of em. I didn't know what to do. I was scared outta my wits. WEll Rufus jumped in front of me, Took a stance I had never seen him take and stared down the other dogs. He never barked, never growled just stared at them. I don't know if there is some unspoken language between other dogs but they turned tail and ran. I was so proud of him.All the neighbors were outside(the dogless ones) and they all spoke on how protective he looked at the time. Said that he looked as if to say "this is my mommy and you will regret coming down here to hurt her cause i am a force to be reckoned with. Well after a few good pats from a few of the neighbors we went and had some well deserved cuddle time and som treats. He now walks past everyone as if to say I know I'm special!! Well the strays haven't gotten alot better but the ones that tried to attack us that day are gone. Don't know what happened to them. Just disappeared.

lucille

For a variety of reasons I carry more than a riding crop when I go out.
I am a gentle person but do not think attacks of that nature are warranted if one is out peacefully walking one's own leashed dog. I would feel personally threatened at an all out attack, not knowing whether the attacking dog would turn on me also as well as my pet; and certainly I would not stand by and let my pet get killed.
I am very sad that people do not take better care, and let their dogs run loose in a way that allows them to hurt other dogs or people, unless they are loose on a farm or some other working situation.

What bugs me the most about this incident is that the street we were on is not a quiet street. It's not overly busy either but there's still cars that go by often and a high traffic of pedestrians walking their dogs especially in the morning and afternoon when parents are wlaking their children to school and take the family dog along for the walk. How many other dogs have these dogs rushed and how long before they run across that street while a car's coming?

Redyre, I am my own weapon LOL I can't punch/hit very well but I sure can kick and tackle/throw down!!!!

I don't carry anything either, but if I need to I'm pretty strong physically and I use at least one six foot leash while walking so I can take the end and use it as a whip basically.

I remember one time we were almost attacked by a rottweiler (no offense to rottie owners). His owners had him off-leash and he ran towards us aggressively, ready to attack us. Luckily he responded when his owner whistled for him....but as he ran back home he was almost hit by a car. Idiots.

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
Im glad OC is ok that is really scary. Pixie has been attacked twice sense I have owned her once in a petsmart by a gsd who pulled away from his owner and charged us.

The second time I was getting ready to take Pixie for a walk. Now we live in a pretty rough neighborhood with pretty rough people. And these rough people tend to raise aggressive dogs. This one house down the road has a Dobe/Rottie who HATES Pixie he growls at her whenever we walk by in such an aggressive manner but he is always well fenced in.

But that day he wasent he was running all around the road barking aggressively. When I saw him I knew I was in for and when he saw Pixie he came tearing out after us! I know it wasent the smartest thing to do but because of what happened to Pixie in the petstore I was scared. We were standing a few feet from our front yard and so i decided to make a run for thinking we could make it inside. Well we almost did we got up the stairs of the porch and that once second it took me to work the door open the other dog was already on Pixie tearing at her.

I too yelled and brough back my leg and kicked him as hard as I could. Pixie wasent even fighting back she was crying and wailing. And the dog wasent stopping so I grabbed a broom on the porch and started hitting him with it and screaming at him. Anouther one of my neighbors noticed the noise and came out with with a rope and whipped in at the dog well I guess he had enough because he then left a bit sulking like.

This all happened when my computer was down thats why I havent mentioned it until now. Pixie did have a few cuts but nothing too bad to where she would need stitches. She is now terrifide of walking by the house with this dog and she was even friends with the other dog who lived there a little Beagle. But now she won't step foot in their yard.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
It was a black lab that went after Aubrey last week at the park and Aubrey was the one who got blamed for starting it. :mad:

Giny

Wow Ren, it must have been a scary experience for both of you. Just prove though how very temperament sound OC is. Even after being attacked OC seem to have gotten over the fact really quickly. That’s awesome! Glad that neither of you got hurt.

Thanks Giny! I just say that he's too dense to ever reallt register what happened LOL I love my puppy!

Pixie, I'm glad niether of you were hurt and your neighbour was there to help out!

Sheba

I W A L R
I'm glad you all are okay from your expirences!
I have one, too, with my friend

My friend and I were walking her Samoyed, Sebastion, when a HUGE rottie can charging at us! He was on a porch (the rottie), an open porch, with the owner. Luckily, I had taught my friend how to deal with Sebastion if he tries to run, I mean, he is VERY strong, he used to pull sleds. I told her to wrap his leash around a tree and I would hold his harness while she looped the clip through the handle and then latch it back on. I could hold Sebastion since I'm pretty strong, but really, he was pulling really hard trying to get at the rottie that was rushing across the street to 'greet' us.We got him clipped up just in time, before he stood up on his hind legs. The rottie did the same. My friend and I then noticed the tumor on his leg! :mad: The owner came rushing up to us and smacked the rottie, who was chained up, we found out in the aftershock. He must of torn away from his owner, and thought he must protect 'his' territory. I could understand if we were in front of the house, but we across the street! Rotties can be unpredictable, and we went through this all just to go to the corner store for 3 bottles of water!

filarotten

Fila the love
I'm so glad OC is ok. I have actually quit walking Roxie. She and I were going for evening walks to help her lose weight. But, it seemed there were
dogs loose everywhere. It turned out to be more of a hassle than enjoyable. We were both on constant edge. I have seen the dog catcher out her more since Roxie was attacked in our yard, but apparently he still has a lot of work to do. It does seems many labs are feeling their oats these days. I don't remember them being so dog agressive in the past.

Julie

I am back again.
Ren,
So sorry this happened to you and OC. I really get nervous walking my dogs on a leash for fear of this happening. I always carry pepper spray that hubby gave me.

But even still if I were walking Shiloh and a dog attacked her, she grabs for the neck and has a death grip that is extremely hard to get her to release. I would be afraid she would kill a smaller dog easily. I very rarely walk her in town. I believe this is bad breeding. She came from a breeder that at the time I thought was good, she did health testing. But since I have found out there is alot more to it than that. She is really the only dog I am having aggression issues with.

Charlie and Rocket would definately defend themselves but not to the degree Shiloh would use. And that scares me for Shiloh. I figure we would get the blalme even though she would be leashed.

A little story........I once had a great dane mix, (passed at the age of about 11). Well during his prime, we were walking and a medium size border collie mix jumped his fence and came at us aggressively. Now Luke was not in the least bit aggressive, but that dog came running up and bit Luke on the side of the neck, Luke did a little flip, the dog let loose and Luke pinned him to the ground and growled a little bit then let him up, that little dog took off running and jumped back over his own fence. I was shakin up, but after that wore off I was so proud of Luke.

I know that a loose dog is just an incident waiting to happen whether an accident or an attack. I just don't understand why some owners will not take responsibility for their pets. Sometimes a mistake will happen, but I always see the same dogs running loose. I wish more people would take responsibility for their dogs.

I am glad everything turned out okay, and he is not traumatized.

Julie.

Members online

No members online now.