Halo Dog Food

Does anyone have an opinion on this food? Hudson is about a week and half shy of 6 months and just crossed the 30 lb mark. He has always been a ...I don't want to say 'picky' because he will eventually eat it, but he has always been a finicky eater. The breeder was feeding one of the Purina Puppy Chow formulas when I picked him up and after giving him a few days to adjust I slowly started switching him over to Earthborn Holistics Puppy. He didn't seem too thrilled with the food. He would eat it, but mostly wasn't interested in it. Then I tried Fromm's Large Breed Puppy. Same result. He'll eat it but just doesn't seem happy with it. I got a small bag of TOTW puppy and a Nature's Variety Puppy (don't remember the exact formula on either). Same thing. he will eat them, but just isn't thrilled with it.

Anyway, back to my question, I have a bag of Halo...fish something or another for the cat. He likes the cat food well enough that I can mix it in with the other various training treats at home and he'll happily eat it. I think he also gets mad that the cat gets 'treats' for dinner and he just gets dog food. I was thinking that since he likes the cat's food, maybe he would also enjoy their dog food.

Maybe I'll have to resign myself to the fact that he is a 'eat to live' not a 'live to eat' type dog, but dang it I'll try every decent dog food on the market until then!

Grab

In Aesop's first year or so, everyyyything gave him horrible diarrhea. Halo was one of two foods he'd both eat and which didn't turn to liquid in his intestines. Thank heavens he outgrew both the pickiness and the poo troubles, lol.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I think Halo makes a great product. I feed Halo to my cat that has ibs and now has been so healthy since feeding Halo. I would give it a try.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I dislike Halo, A LOT. They market geniusly so that their bag reads something that isn't really what the food is like IMO.

NO MEAT MEALS!! hmm, well, that's great and all, but there's hardly any meat IN your food.

Here's the ingredient list of their regular Chicken bag...
Chicken, Eggs, Pea Protein, Oats, Vegetable Broth, Pearled Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Whole Peas, Chicken Liver, Salmon, Flax Seed, Salmon Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Pea Fiber, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Green Beans, Carrots, Cranberries, Zucchini, Alfalfa, Inulin, Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Salt, Vitamins (Folic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement ,Choline Bitartrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin), Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Magnesium Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium longum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product.
Bolded is their meat. None of them are meals, which means because weight numbers are listed BEFORE extrusion, all of these numbers will fall in that list. There are way more veggies and grains than meat in this food. Peas are the number one ingredient. I don't mind peas in pet food, but they have about double the sugar content of other starches like potatoes.
Also, the ones in red you can see that the company is fracturing ingredients so that they can put a crap ton of peas in the food without making it LOOK like there is a crap ton of peas in there.

I have no clue of ingredient quality though. I don't recommend it for the above reasons. I would recommend it only to someone who was mixing it with raw or something like that. They make great training treats. I'd never feed it alone.

*picks up pedestal and walks away* :p

JacksonsMom

I wouldn't feed Halo because I have NO idea where it's manufactured and they will not tell you. Also for reasons PW listed above.

Their e-mail is extremely using fancy words to make them sound better than they are.

Dear xxxx,

Thanks for visiting our website and caring for the ones we love naturally. If you have not already signed up as a new member on our website, please feel free to do so to receive the most current promotions we are offering.

We would like to thank you for your commitment to animals and caring so deeply about what they are being fed. We understand and appreciate your concern regarding the quality of your pet's food and trying to understand as much as possible about what is in the food and how it is produced. For over 20 years, Halo has provided top quality natural products and have been very open and sharing with consumers. This is why we encourage pet owners to read the labels on the packages of the foods they give their pets, it is why we utilize recognizable, understandable ingredients that you and I often eat, why the ingredients in our foods are featured prominently and why we share our recipe for people who want to make Spot's Stew at home (please see www.halopets.com).

Halo goes to the same lenghts to insure that our foods are made in facilities that produce high quality foods under appropriate quality control conditions. However, due to agreements with our suppliers, Halo is not able to identify the specific identies of these suppliers; in the same way, these suppliers do not have authorization to publicize that they make our products. This is standard business practice in the human and animal food areas, and protects both companies but more importantly, allows Halo to possibly have its products produced in facilities that traditionally do not produce pet products. Rest assured, all of our products are produced in the USA and we have never and do not intend to have our products produced anywhere else.
I hope this helps you feel more comfortable with the quality of the Halo products. In the end the best judges of our quality are the people who buy Halo products and their pets who consume them. Please feel free to review customer comments at Buzzillions and Zootoo and if you would like to try some of Halo's other hight quality products, please enjoy this $5.00 coupon - http://www.halopets.com/promo1008/

Please feel free to e-mail or call us at 800-426-4256 anytime with questions or to search for a store in your area. Wishing you and your pets GREAT health!

Warm regards,
Lynne Xxxxxx
Halo, Purely For Pets
800-426-4256

I dislike Halo, A LOT. They market geniusly so that their bag reads something that isn't really what the food is like IMO.

NO MEAT MEALS!! hmm, well, that's great and all, but there's hardly any meat IN your food.

Here's the ingredient list of their regular Chicken bag...

Bolded is their meat. None of them are meals, which means because weight numbers are listed BEFORE extrusion, all of these numbers will fall in that list. There are way more veggies and grains than meat in this food. Peas are the number one ingredient. I don't mind peas in pet food, but they have about double the sugar content of other starches like potatoes.
Also, the ones in red you can see that the company is fracturing ingredients so that they can put a crap ton of peas in the food without making it LOOK like there is a crap ton of peas in there.

I have no clue of ingredient quality though. I don't recommend it for the above reasons. I would recommend it only to someone who was mixing it with raw or something like that. They make great training treats. I'd never feed it alone.

*picks up pedestal and walks away* :p
*borrows pedestal*

I'm not a fan of Halo for all the reasons listed above. I've contacted them numerous times (for customers) and they never seem to actually answer the questions - their marketing/reps are excellent at beating around the bush.

They're very good at sounding better than they are - the average person reading that label would see nothing wrong with it. And especially with being sold in Petco/Petsmart, they're trying to be the "best food for average people".

jenv101

Bite Club
The fact that they promote a Vegan line of dog food bugs me. That is all I have to add. Lol

I thought I read somewhere they donate regularly to HSUS, which would explain the "vegan" line they want to make. Not in my house, they will never see a penny of my money!

Members online