Bored and Dependent

Zoidberg

My 3 year old rescue chihuahua (first dog, 3rd week in now) is settling in and getting the hang of things. The one issue I'm still wrestling with right now is two-fold. He is really dependent on me, even though he likes everyone else in the family but will still be very sad if I'm not home, and so I've tried to hold myself back from adoring him 24/7 so he could get comfortable with not having to be totally reliant on that. When I don't give him attention he lurks over to the other side of my bed where I can't see him and he peeks at me every few minutes to see if I'm ready to play. I don't think he would be doing that if he found another way to entertain himself. The problem I am facing right now is he doesn't seem to like any toys and I've tried many different kinds. What should I do?

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Sometimes you have to teach dogs to like toys. Try putting peanut butter on them, or stuffing bits of yummies in a kong. You can also try playing with him with the toys, get real excited, throw them around, act like they are the best thing ever. He should learn eventually that toys are fun! :)

Members online