What do you think

Great idea tattoes can fade and bh changed so both it great, i think the pet back is a great idea, its not free but worth it

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'm trying to get the money togehter to get mine microchipped, especially Aubrey. You'd think she has beagle in her sometimes the way she just up and leaves after a scent and won't come back for anything.

Brattina88

Sounds like a good idea
I've been wanting to get my dog's microchipped, but am concerned about a few things. My old vet said that michrochips can't be read from just any reader. He said even if my pet is chipped, if she gets lost somewhere that uses a different brand it won't read and it would be useless. Is this true? And if it is What is the most 'common' one to ensure it being 'useful'?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
that is my one beef about micro chipping is only the authorities can read it..everyone should have another form of id on their pet..this is a good one i think..even a tag where you have etched your phone number..and alternative..your vet..and such ANYTHING is better then nothing. i cannot tell you the number of dogs i have run across with elegant collars and no identification.

Yes and I think they did this because so many dogs get stolen or found and then the finder calls your home number and asks for ££££ to get the dog back this way they cant

X

xxxpoo

Brattina88 said:
Sounds like a good idea
I've been wanting to get my dog's microchipped, but am concerned about a few things. My old vet said that michrochips can't be read from just any reader. He said even if my pet is chipped, if she gets lost somewhere that uses a different brand it won't read and it would be useless. Is this true? And if it is What is the most 'common' one to ensure it being 'useful'?
Microchipping is a great tool to help you reunite with a lost pet; however, it is not foolproof. When a lost pet is picked up by an animal control officer or is taken to an animal shelter or humane society, the professionals there will scan the animal using a handheld scanner, which will let them know if a microchip has been implanted. The microchip implanted under the skin reflects the signal given by the scanner to provide a unique alpha numeric code, which is picked up when the animal is scanned. Microchips implanted in 2003 or earlier are generally readable by most shelters and veterinarians. Microchips that came into use in late 2003 are generally not readable by most shelters and veterinarians because the chips require different scanning technology. Microchip manufacturers have not yet provided shelters around the country with a scanner that reads all different types of microchips (called a "universal" scanner :)

great info xxxpoo, It might help to post the site also others can get some more info from it then, I cant find the link to it so it would be a great help

Last edited:

bubbatd

If it hadn't been for a micro chip, I never could have located my " visitor" for 3 day's owner... was my last resort when I took her to my vet to check. No tags...geez!

Do you mean less painfull than tattoing? I wish we could do microchipping here your self but sadly as far as I know we are not allowed

joce

I don;t like the chips. People seem to rely on them too much. Were I live no one is going to get a stray checked for a chip,so great for having one but unless you find the dog and need to prove its yours it does no good. I always keep a reg coller and tags on and would tatto if I was more worried about it.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
one thing i liked is a fourth of july a couple years ago i had a dog run up my proch and shot in my door scared to death of the firecrackers. I checked her tag and her name was aptly BABY and of course she was bawling her head off. She had a www. address on her collar. I was able to access the web and left a message..it didn't have the dog's address of course, but did have a phone number and a web address. A few hours later the owner called (she was still bawling) and we found she lived just around the corner and up the street. just thought i would ad this..was helpful

joce said:
I don;t like the chips. People seem to rely on them too much. Were I live no one is going to get a stray checked for a chip,so great for having one but unless you find the dog and need to prove its yours it does no good. I always keep a reg coller and tags on and would tatto if I was more worried about it.
tags can be removed and tatto's can be changed and will fade, i think that chips should be used along side tags, vets and recsue centeres should scan everydoy that comes in, when I find a stray i take it straight to my vets or recsue whichever is closer or open the first thing they do is scan the dog

Members online

No members online now.