What breed of dog is this?

Hello everyone. I'm kind of new here and am hoping you can answer a question for me. I recently did a portrait of a gorgeous dog I met on the street in NYC. Only problem is, I have no idea what kind of dog it is... He had just been to the "salon" -- his head stayed very fluffy, but the rest of his fur was trimmed very tight. He is adorable and, since he's on my website, I need to know what breed he is...

I'd post the photo here but I don't see a way to upload it. It's posted here, instead. http://www.julieartworks.com/pet10max.html

Any insights into what kind of dog this is would be most appreciated!

Julie
www.julieartworks.com/photo_to_art.html

chell78

he has a black tongue so i think it a chow thats been clipped (chows are reknown for having black tongues. Im not sure ive seen another breed with a black tongue before but i could be wrong?

Hey you guys! Thanks so much for all the helpful replies!! I guess I came to the right place... : ) A chow it is! That's so funny that they call it a lion cut!

Anyway, thanks again!

Julie

candy722

i think his a mix of bichon frize or poodle with a rottweiler or golden retriever.
I don't know but that is what i think. How about a DNA test? hehe

S

stirder

dna cant tell breed, dna test can tell if the supposed parents are the real parents. but he undoubtedly a chow with a lion cut. picture this guy black with the same cut...

and picture this guy with his body shaved...

Zoom

Twin 2.0
It's a Chow. A question on the tongue: I've seen a bunch of dogs that had no Chow in them at all that had purple/black splotches on it's tongue. In fact, we've got three dogs boarding with us that have the black. They're all from the same litter, and the mom was a Black and Tan. I can't remember what the dad was supposed to be, but it wasn't Chow...maybe Lab.

S

stirder

asian dogs almost always have a blueish/purplish tongue, but a black spot doesnt mean anything as far as anyone knows, lots of rumors but all the ones Ive heard are not true. such as a black spot means its a mutt, means its dumb, means its extra smart, means one of its parents was a wolf/coyote/jackal/dingo and once even heard from an 80 year old man that it meant one of its parents was a mongoose.

Members online