FROMM chicken thighs entree

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
My dogs eat FROMM dry food and I recently found a new place to order it from that delivers it for free, the same day you order it.

So anyway, I ordered from them for the first time the other day and they sent all these samples of other FROMM products, other flavors of hard food, gravies, canned foods, and treats.
So i opened up some of the stuff to let Armani try them and the chicken thighs entree has WHOLE BONES in it... i threw the bones away because I didnt know what to do with them... do they expect your dog to eat the bones even though they are cooked?

Thanks for any advice.

Elissa

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
There are a few out there that have bones included in their meals. I freaked out the the first time I saw bones in a canned food, then I tested it and it crumpled in my fingers.

Something about the nutrients still being there, but just cooked. I don't remember exactly so I could be wrong.

brunosmom

I have heard if you cook chicken bones slowly for a really long time....like 24 hours or longer in a crock pot they tend too become soft .....but not something I would ever feel comfortable doing :rolleyes:

doberkim

Naturally Natural
yup, they are pressure cooked. doing it completely softens all the bones so they virtually crumble. i have many friends who homecook and crockpot everything, and feed it to their dogs.

merrick's wingaling is the other food that comes to mind with a whole chicken wing in it.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I feed my dogs Wingaling, from Merrick, once in a while... it contains whole bones, but like Kim said, they are completely soft due to the cooking process.

My boys really love it, and it's just an occasional treat. =)

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
If it's the same as Merrick (Wingaling and Smothered Comfort both contain whole chicken peices, Smothered Comfort is thighs), then you can crumble the bones in your fingers.

Ordinary cooked chicken bones are hard, splintery and sharp (which is the danger in them), whereas these are soft and mushy. I wouldn't be concerned.

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
Wow... interesting to know... I totally freaked when I saw the bones... I had not researched the food at all since I hadnt bought it... it didnt agree with him anyway, so he wont be getting it again... but thanks for the information.

Elissa

irenafarm

Herd. Protect. Love.
I crockpot recipes for my dogs a couple times a week. I usually do bone-in meats so the Ca/Ph ratios stay correct. It takes about 30 hours for a chicken bone to get to the mushy stage, and about 48 hours for small pork or lamb bones to get crumbly. You can take your fingers and squash the bones up - they just disintegrate like a saltine that you've put into hot soup.

The canned foods with bones in them are usually pressure cooked right in the can.

Members online

No members online now.