Am I feeding my dog the right things?

:confused: I have three dogs on three different diets, according to their needs. My Boston Terrier is on a Hill's sensitive stomach/ID diet, by orders of the veterinarian. He has doggie IBS (which he acquired before he was rescued), and the only thing that seems to keep him healthy is this diet. However, I've recently heard some whispers about Hill's not being the best thing on the market. With this possibility in mind, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard spot, as I want to do what is healthiest for my pet, but I want him to feel well, also. My oldest dog (a terrier mix) has hip dysplasia. I have been feeding him "Breeder's Choice-Active dog formula," as it is specially formulated for dogs with hip and joint problems. I can't seem to find any articles regarding Breeder's Choice, but the price would say it is pretty good food. My youngest dog, Phoebe (a border collie mix), is on a diet of California Natural and Pinnacle (by Breeder's choice) wet food. Again, I can't find anything on Pinnacle, but the price of $1.50 per small can would hopefully indicate that it is a good food. I'm just trying to make sure that I'm giving my dogs the best nutrition and life I can. Does anyone know anything about these foods? So far, I've heard only good about California Natural, and my Phoebe looks great (has a beautiful coat!!!). :confused:

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Everyone on this forum wouldn't suggest EVER feeding your dogs Science diet, it's not good for them at all. I'm sure someone, possibly Mordy, could tell you a more appropriate diet to feed your Boston Terrier. As for the other food I have never heard of it. Mordy has a website you can visit and check out the different dog foods. I like the website it has helped me not make a few really bad dog food choices. I feed my dogs Eagle Pack and Innova and they do REALLY well on that diet. They're coats are shiny and they are all around healthy dogs. I feed them mainly kibble with some canned food mixed in.

why science diet?

I've been hearing everyone say science diet is horrible, yet it is recommended by my veterinarian and by a friend of mine in veterinarian school. I would like some info. regarding why it is so bad, and have been unable to find a definitive answer. Could someone provide me with some facts, so that I am able to ask my veterinarian and friend in vet. school about it?

Adrienne

First matter to address is that vets receive very limited nutritional education. Only a few hours of training at seminars put on by the dog food companies like science diet and Iams. The vets are given a kickback for selling these foods in their office and recommending them to their customers.

Science diet is mostly a grain based food. Dogs are not made to digest grains, only meats. They do not have the grinding teeth needed to chew up grains like we do, they have sharp teeth designed to rip meat off bones. Due to the high content of grains (which are leftover from human grade grains so they are even more lacking in nutritional value) in science diet it is a horrible food for the price you pay. I am sure that Mordy will stop by with some more information for you. If you start to research ingredients in dog foods you will find that you could be feeding a much better food for the price you are paying.
The more research you do into species appropriate diets the more you will realize why Science Diet is crap.

One of my dogs is on a diet of California Natural, which I've raved about. I consulted the website of the company that makes it, as well as calling one of the company consultants, and both suggested trying California Natural with the IBS that my dog on Prescription Diet has. I think I may try it, but it may take a switcheroo on my fiance, who swears by science diet/prescription diet. I still can't really find anything definitive about breeder's choice. My dog has hip dysplasian and they offer a hip/joint formula which I've been using. Anyone know anything about Breeder's Choice?

The Legacy

A Livin Legend
My dog is not on a paticular diet, but which diet do you guys think are the best, for a Boston Terrier (2.5 Month).

bubbatd

Again, Marty to the rescue.....switch slowly !! I like kibble mostened for my dogs. Add veggies and other things from time to time. I feel it's better than canned for their teeth, I won't mention the brand I've used for 40 years as Grammy's sensitive !!!

The very best advice I can give you is to tell you to go to Mordy's site and read up! My beasties are on the Innova EVO and raw food. We have no gas (unless they've raided the garbage :rolleyes: but even then it's minimal) and they don't even snore - and the grrrrls are a breed (Filas) that are champion snorers! And that's beside their flagrantly good condition and energy levels.

I highly recommend anything made by NaturaPet.

As far as the Breeders' Choice goes, look up the ingredients and compare them to others. I'd start with any of the NaturaPet lines, and remember, you can always supplement for extra joint support. Overall healthy nutrition is the best foundation to start with.

Staff online

Members online