Walking....soo sad

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Today was sooo sad leaving the humane society, even more so then usual!! :(

I love walking the dogs there and seeing them get some energy out and the shy ones warm up a bit as well as the ones I try training a bit learn something!

Well my first dog was ok, pulled a little on the leash and loved to zig-zag, but was a wonderful dog who sat willingly if we stopped or I asked her to. She would even come up to my left side and go into a heel position!! This dog was a pretty chocolate color. This is her petfinder page:

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7597936

Well so my second dog was more of a handful. sharpei/lab mix but oh boy was he pure muscle! He was STRONG! He was still young (1 yr old) and obviously hadn't been trained, so I was in for a good ride. Well he got along OK, though was a little pushy, with most of the dogs walking except one. Both males, him not being neutered they where just kept separate. I decided to lag behind the "pack" to get in some training and try to at least start leash training! I didn't expect to end up with much, but even a little better was ok with me. Well he surprised me! At first he just didn't want to stop pulling, but by the end he only pulled a little and soon stopped until the leash was loose! He walked on a loose leash for a good 5 minutes! lol Not long, but long enough to make me very happy! Even then he pulled for a second and then relaxed again! So yay! Progress!!

His petfinder page I think.....not sure lol
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7597941

Then I walked a border collie mix who circled a lot, but LOVED every other dog and wanted to play! He was a bit mouthy, but didn't use pressure. He only put her mouth on my fingers four times and after I said something he licked instead. He pulled some, but not majorly and I think he would benifiet far more from an off-leash playtime then the walks; he seemed rather bored with the walks and wanted to play. I walked him last week also and he was SOOO scared the walk last week! He was crouched most of the time and he would try and bolt at every noise! lol This time he was WAAYY more confident! He wouldn't try and bolt at the slightest noise and he played with the other dog and, though he was still a little nervous, he was SOOO much better!

His page:
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7488796

Then the last dog.....soo depressing! This dog was 5 yrs old, not very old but she looked far older! As I walked up to the kennel I was greeted by a very happy 1 yr old black Lab and the back of this .....I don't know what mix she is, but her name Tandy. She was very sweet. I got in her kennel and leashed the other dog and gave him to the other volunteer while I sat in her kennel just calling to her to see how she responded. I was unsure if she would be too scared to go or if she just needed a little time to warm up. Well she warmed up and sniffed my hand when I held it out a little and nuzzled it wiht her nose a little. She had the saddest eyes I have ever seen! She seemed so depressed :( I got her leashed and slowly made our way out to walk. She preferred walking slow, which was ok, and she wasn't spooked easily she just seemed depressed :( We had our walk and she stuck to me and wanted to be pet. When I put her in her kennel she gave me the eyes that just screamed for more attention. So I sat and petted her gently for a while until her kennel mate came back. I left and she gave me the saddest eyes ever (sadder then before) and as I started walking away she turned away from the kennel door to sit facing the wall staring at the ground :( I almost cried! It's horrible she is so depressed!! *cries*

When you do this kind of wonderful work you leave your heart open for *injury*...I think that you're just so terrific for what you do Babyblue, I just wish that it didn't have hurt so much. (((((((hugs)))))))
....just know that you HAVE made their day better and lightened their hearts while you were there, even though yours feels so heavy now.:(

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
that is so sad. So many like her too.
I know I've seen quiet a few dogs at our shelter like that, it's so sad :(

It's really great that you did something to brighten their day.........
Thanks Bobska :) I try and go every sunday for the sunday walks and every friday and saturday for bathing them and testing them and kennel work. I wish I had more time to go there and help :( Seems they are going to have bathing on sunday's now also since no one is coming on the weekdays, but it's the same time as the walks ....Maybe i'll have to alternate which one I do every sunday.

When you do this kind of wonderful work you leave your heart open for *injury*...I think that you're just so terrific for what you do Babyblue, I just wish that it didn't have hurt so much. (((((((hugs)))))))
....just know that you HAVE made their day better and lightened their hearts while you were there, even though yours feels so heavy now.
Thanks :) I just wish I could've stayed longer, but we have to start at 10 and end at 12 because the shelter workers have to clean the floors so we have to leave I wish I could do more for them!

LoveMyKees

Love My KEEShond
Awww, at least you made her day a little bit happier. There really isn't anything you can do, no matter how upsetting it may be :( But even the little things can probably help so much.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Awww, at least you made her day a little bit happier. There really isn't anything you can do, no matter how upsetting it may be :( But even the little things can probably help so much.
Yeah, but if I was able to stay for a while longer I know I could make her come out of her shell a little more! I just know it! Maybe next time I can try and get her to cheer up a bit.

Oh though on a happier note, everytime we walk in on sunday's the dogs get super excited, but only the ones that have been walked before :D Makes you feel good! The others get excited as well, but it's different and you can just tell the ones who've been walked and the ones who haven't :D

Members online

No members online now.