Will she ever outgrow this? Excitement peeing

snookums

It never fails, whenever my dog gets attention from novel people (meaning, anyone who isn't normally there), she pees on the floor. It's gotten so predictable that for the most part, I keep her outside or in her crate whenever someone new comes into the house. It's embarrassing.

She'll be a year old next week, and I'm wondering if I have to come to resign that she'll just always be this way.

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
Harley used to do the same thing. Everytime someone would pet her, she would pee on the floor. She quit doing that a little after she turned a year old. I know what you mean about it being embarrassing!!! LOL

Cricket, our Dachshund use to the same thing as well. Everytime someone would come up to her pet her or talk to her, she would pee. She also quit at about a year.

I dog-sit our neighbors dog a lot, and she does the same thing at my place. I've bought so many carpet cleaners just for when she comes over. I love the little dog to bits, but its so frustrating when its not your dog. She's getting better around me, but if I have guests she still does it.

I tell my guests not to talk to her, touch her, or even look at her for at least 10-15 mins., so the dog has a chance to settle down. That usually helps.

Saje

Island dweller
What if you had them meet her outside when they first come to the house. Or in the backyard. She can do her happy pee out there and then after the excitement come inside.

I don't know if they out grow it. I have a feeling that some dogs do and some dogs don't.

We had a Basset Hound that would pee whenever we came home or if someone came over. We did change our routine so that she came outside to say "Hello!". She didn't grow out of it.

I have heard that ignoring them when you first come in will help. Come in, take off your coat & shoes, make a cup of tea - and then say hello.

Good luck!

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Most dogs i have known to do have grown out of it. But I did know a Yorkie years ago a friend owned named Annie. And it never failed everytime i would come over and pet her and make a big deal out of her she would pee. She was 6 years old and my friend told me Annie always did that when company comes over... So i think it also depends on the dog or dog breed im not sure.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
knew a 14 year old pointer that did the same thing, but only when really excited..is there a chance you can put the dog out before your company comes so the dog could meet them on an empty bladder? i have a doorbell signal that i ring three times before i come into my mom's so that my dogs wont' knock her down. maybe when company comes you could put her out, then let the dog come greet and see if it makes a difference. So many house dogs do not void their bladder as often as they really should..how much does your dog weigh..and is it over weight?

Staff online

Members online