At my wits end with 12 yr old AHT

MoparStar

Try not; DO or do not
Short version: acquired dog from friend of a friend. Was supposed to simply keep her safe for a week as they moved. They never came back for her and have disappeared off the face of the earth. It has been 18 months. This dog is the worst animal Ihave ever had the pleasure of owning. 12 year old American hairless terrier who speent her life producing byb AHTs for previous owner. This dog is so extremely people aggressive that it is scary. She absolutely cannot be trusted, even with people she has seen hundreds of times no matter where she is at. Crating her keeps people safe but she will 100 percent of the time injure herself in the crate trying to escape it while screaming at the top of her not insignificant lungs. When released from crate she will launch herself violently at the door and injure herself. I have tried literally everything under the sun to get her to behave while confined and after release. Nothing has made the slightest improvement. I am so tired of dealing with her nonsense Iam ready to PTS. Husband will not go for that option. I am sick of her vet bills from injuring herself' sick of her destroying things and.sick of her screaming when I have company. I certainly can not place her with another person and after a year and a half of working with her every single day with no improvement I am ready to call it quits. Open to suggestions for last ditch efforts to train her before Imake an appointment to PTS. Have tried NILIF, started crate training from scratch, drugs, pheromones, shock/vibe/ citronella collars, desensitization exercises, etc.

Oh gosh, poor girl, and poor you. So sorry you're having to go through this.

How is she out of the crate? Maybe I missed it, but is there a reason she must be crated, can you gate her in a laundry room or kitchen if she absolutley must be contained?

You've had her 18 months, is she always aggressive? Will she allow petting? What kind of handling can you do with her. How do you feed her?

Sorry, your post had a lot of information in it, but overall was vague as far as your schedule, the number of people in your house, how she interacts with them, and you.

Honestly, she's 12, shes lived a long, miserable life and I hope there is some good advice that you can use from all of the people on this forum. I hope there is something we can tell you to make your life easier, but in the end having her PTS may also be a very viable and safe option for all involved.

Saeleofu

If you haven't already, I second the animal behaviorist and full medical workup. However, there DOES come a point when it really is more humane to euthanize an animal. Extreme fear, anxiety, and aggression are valid reasons to euthanize. Unless the animal behaviorist can help, and help quickly, I don't think you'd be wrong to euthanize her.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
If you haven't already, I second the animal behaviorist and full medical workup. However, there DOES come a point when it really is more humane to euthanize an animal. Extreme fear, anxiety, and aggression are valid reasons to euthanize. Unless the animal behaviorist can help, and help quickly, I don't think you'd be wrong to euthanize her.
This.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Agreed. Quality of life is in question.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
This this this. I hope for both of your sakes you are able to get the help you need, even if that means letting her go.

MoparStar

Try not; DO or do not
answers to questions

I have had a full medical done through my own vet and again at MSU. 3 different behaviourists have fired us due to dog not progressing and flat out being dangerous. She has to be confined in a crate since she will jump or climb every gate Ihave tried. Confining behind a closed door means the door, trim, floor, and room contents and walss will get destroyed. Plus she injures herself worse when not confined. When she first arrived here it took me a week before Icould get near her without getting attacked with intent. I admit Iwhacked her a GOOD one the 3rd time she bit me. After that she decided she better not attack me and slowy we became friends. Hubby and I have a quiet low key lifestyle. We haveweekly visitors, including our grown daughters and grandchildren. She is ok with hubby, me and our 6 other dogs. Anyone else and any other animal is fair game to her. She launched herself at the picture window and cracked it when a friend and I rode our horses through the front yard. Now we go around the back way which is NBD but she attacks the glass for birds and such too. I have concluded that she is wired wrong or has brain damage, old owners were reputed to be drug users and it is entirely possible that she was exposed to damaging levels of meth smoke and fumes. I feel commited to her care, and Iwant very much for her to not be a danger to herself and others. She is loving and calm when it is just us here and we keep the dr pes shut to prevent her from seeing the livestock. I have even invested in a lab grade kennel to prevent her injuring herself and she still manages. She has broken almost every tooth and too many cuts bruises and broken toes and chewed her own tail to the point it almost had to be amputated and the best one, she knocked one of her eyes out of the socket attacking the door after company left. It doesn't matter if you keep her crated for hours after they leave, either. The second she is out she attacks the door. She will wait all day to d it if Itether her when Ilet her out. It is the most effed up behaviour Ihave ever witnessed . She hates the dozen or so regular visitors as much today as she ever did, even my mother who lives nextdoor and she sees almost every day. I have no idea what to try next. I have set a deadline and will have behaviourist number 4 working with us until she fires us, Fanny improves or 6 months. After that barring some miraculous turn around Ifeel like Ihave no other option besides PTS. I can't imagine that she is happy this way and as Isaid i can't take it anymore and she isn't safe to rehome. She was spayed after she had been with me for 90 days. I thought maybe hormones had something to do with it but she is the same now as she was before being altered and there is nothing medically wrong with her. Sorry so long. Any other questions I am happy to answer. I have never seen such an extreme in a dog, and it is a good thing she is only 15 lbs orshe could do some serious damage to a person or animal if she were able to escape confinement when there is company.

Saeleofu

Honestly? I'd put her down now. 6 months is a long time to wait when things are this bad. Ultimately, it's your dog and your decision, but she sounds like she is extremely dangerous to herself, first and foremost, but also to others. {HUGS}

MoparStar

Try not; DO or do not
missed a couple answers

She must be crated when we have visitors because she will attack them. She has gone as far as lying in wait for the right moment to attack with intent. Having her loose and confined to a room or other area means there will be damage to things or to her even when muzzled. She is fed like everyone else, twice a day in her own bowl. She takes quickly to other training and will lay quietly until served her bowl. She is not food or treat agressive to hubby or me and the other dogs. Hand feeding did not help. She absolutely refuses any and all treats and other rewards when visitors are present.

MoparStar

Try not; DO or do not
missed a couple answers

She must be crated when we have visitors because she will attack them. She has gone as far as lying in wait for the right moment to attack with intent. Having her loose and confined to a room or other area means there will be damage to things or to her even when muzzled. She is fed like everyone else, twice a day in her own bowl. She takes quickly to other training and will lay quietly until served her bowl. She is not food or treat agressive to hubby or me and the other dogs. Hand feeding did not help. She absolutely refuses any and all treats and other rewards when visitors are present.

Members online

No members online now.