Hearing Tests?

Cheetah

Fluffy Corgi Addict
Hey guys. I know I've been really scarce lately. Been so busy.

Eevee just turned 13 last month, and yesterday it dawned on me that her lack of responsiveness to my calling her could actually be because she might be losing her hearing. I was testing it out yesterday, making sounds behind her trying to see if she'd twitch an ear or something. For the most part, I got nothin. -.-

This leads me to my question. Are there hearing tests at the vet to determine whether Eevee can hear or not? And if there are, are they expensive?

SpringerLover

The only non-subjective hearing test is the BAER test. It is typically only available through a Neurologist, therefore quite expensive.

Sorry to hear she's losing/lost her hearing. Both of my dogs have coped quite well with their hearing loss, I just had to make a few changes in our lives to keep them safer.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
My old lady seems to have lost a lot of hearing but sometimes I think she's just being obstinate in her golden years.

We decided a hearing test was not needed at this age as much as extra leashes and patience.

Good luck whichever route you go.

Yes, unfortunately anything you try at home or at a GP's office is going to be subjective and affected by distractions, nerves, etc.

Having said that... some dogs appear to lose hearing to certain tones/pitches more than others as they age, so if you're noticing she's less responsive try really high pitches, low pitches, etc to your voice not just being louder and see if you can stumble upon something that she seems to hear better.

Cheetah

Fluffy Corgi Addict
Yeah she responded sometimes. Seems to be responsive to the higher pitches, and I have to be fairly loud. I never noticed this till now, because she's my velcro dog, and she's ALWAYS looking at me, ALWAYS by my side, and I use both hand signals and verbal cues when I interact with my dogs.

It never occurred to me till yesterday that she may only be following my hand signals. But I sure am glad I taught them like that. I learned a good lesson by this. Hand signals = important for later! O.O

I guess a hearing test is out if it's super expensive. Not like it's hurting her or anything to be hard of hearing. I'll just have to take extra precautions for when she's not looking at me.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Do check local health clinics at shows - we had one in our area that offered BAER testing for like $45!

Members online

No members online now.