Returning a dog to the breeder - Questions/Rant

Barbara!

Jairi jumps all over the place as far as breeds she is interested in, so we have no idea what she will end up with next. She's expressed interest in other sighthound breeds, herding breeds, sled dogs, and now apparently PWDs.
WHAT, exactly, is wrong with that?

See what I mean?

Doesn't matter what anyone says. You have your conclusions, and I have mine.
Seems like that's a two way street here, because... seriously, what kind of proof is it that would convince you that this puppy reached this condition under her care? Several people have specifically said they don't think it was done maliciously, but... there is a fair amount of evidence between all the dates, photos, posts, and vet report that this puppy reached this condition in her care.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Barbara, if this puppy didn't reach this condition in Jairi's care (which Jairi claims the puppy looked fine when he left), then how do you think it happened?

Xandra

See what I mean?

Doesn't matter what anyone says. You have your conclusions, and I have mine.
No, what do you mean??

The beginning of the thread is weird, Teal lied about when the pics were taken, the dog already didn't look so great, the next photos of the dog from the breeder were time stamped to when the breeder would've gotten him, the breeder supplied dated vet records...

What is your conclusion? I'm not angry, not particularly invested in this and im sincerely asking you what you make of the aforementioned series of events?? Because from where I'm standing all evidence points in one direction.

Barbara!

No. I know Teal would never intentionally do this to an animal.

Do I think this is proof that Teal is responsible for the condition of the dog? No. The vet records don't exactly tell us anything we didn't already know... That the dog was emaciated. However, it does say right there, that the cause of the emaciation could very well be from stress.

My conclusion is maybe the dog felt bereft... Dogs know when you don't like them. And the stress caused his weight loss. Do I think Teal STARVED the dog? No, no I do not. But it doesn't take long for a lean puppy to get dangerously skinny...especially a lean, stressed out puppy that may or may not have been refusing food when with Teal.

That's my personal conclusion. I also don't think Teal will come back here... I wouldn't, either. No matter what she says, it won't matter. No one will believe that she doesn't "recycle" dogs or purposely abuse them. Most of you seem to already feel that other breeders should avoid selling her puppies. It's sad that is came down this way.

There is no PROOF. Is there evidence that leans more one way and not the other? Yes, but there is no PROOF. Proof is when you can say, as fact, that Teal abused this dog. All of what we have here is speculation. The only people who KNOW what happened are Teal and the breeder.
Let me repost it.

I have already explained what I think happened.
But, your explanation doesn't actually explain anything. It doesn't address the lies or the inconsistencies. It also doesn't explain how the puppy was allowed to get to that condition even if it wasn't on purpose, which I don't think it was. Either by forgetfulness, unwillingness to deal with him or him doing it to himself he was still in her care and needed to be fed one way or another.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I have already explained what I think happened.
You didn't explain anything.

Jairi said the dog looked fine when he left her house... then she posted the pictures from "2 days before" which were really from 19 days before.

All evidence points to Jairi lying. The dog was picked up from her home in emaciated condition, yet Jairi thought the dog looked fine when she handed him off to Dianna.

Who knows if Jairi couldn't afford dog food and thus neglected the dog. Who knows if she just put him in a room and forgot to take care of him. Who knows if she was just ignoring the problem and not paying attention.

Either way, the dog was neglected and all evidence points to it being while in Jairi's care.

yoko

What in the world kind of proof would it take to convince you?
I wouldn't bother there is no proof she would accept.

Am I the only one who would like to hear from Teal? Even if its just admission of guilt? You know... first step is admitting you have a problem type thing?
And honestly, there could be an explanation that hasn't occured to any of us because we're so blinded by anger (understandably) at seeing the pup in that condition.
I'll probably be jumped by her supporters for this but I don't care. I honestly wouldn't believe any story she said now because IMO it would only be a save face statement. She lied and tried to hide info on when pics were taken and has refused to post decent pics of when the dog was with her right before the breeder took him back and has refused vet info which would at least show she was making sure he was getting care.

She can say all she wants but after all the lies and attempts to hide info I wouldn't believe or trust her farther than I could throw her.

WHAT, exactly, is wrong with that?
nothing is wrong with it when dogs are simply throw away when the don't tickle your particular fancy on that particular day.

I have no issues with someone looking for a dog to X and when it can't responsibly rehoming to a home it will fit better. People I know like this usually aren't going puppy routes, but they get young adults as they have a better chance of "knowing" what that dog will be when it matures.

Those that go the puppy route usually have that puppy for at least a year and keep it in good condition before rehoming. The overwhelming majority decide to work with what they have and try again next time.

It's one thing to have interest in multiple breeds, it's entirely another to act so irresponsibly and neglect one in your care because you don't like it. it's not like he was chewing her face off when she went to feed it, even then you put it behind a fence and throw food over the side till someone comes to take it away. It's called decency.

Fran27

I'm thinking Teal didn't do it on purpose, but I'm thinking Teal has 'issues' that make her not realize that she's abusing an animal.

There are a lot of people who neglect pets, heck, even kids. I don't think it's done out of meanness, but I think those people need help. I hope this thread will make Teal realize that she needs help.

I absolutely don't understand why she made this thread in the first place though, especially as it appears she never even called the breeder or tried to contact her in the first place.

My head hurts.

Xandra

Ok so we all agree that the pup was picked up by its breeder emaciated, and that Teal lied about/blatantly misrepresented the pup's condition.

We're just trying to figure out whether she didn't feed it or it wasted away from stress?

stafinois

Professional Nerd
I'm thinking Teal didn't do it on purpose, but I'm thinking Teal has 'issues' that make her not realize that she's abusing an animal.

There are a lot of people who neglect pets, heck, even kids. I don't think it's done out of meanness, but I think those people need help. I hope this thread will make Teal realize that she needs help.

I absolutely don't understand why she made this thread in the first place though, especially as it appears she never even called the breeder or tried to contact her in the first place.

My head hurts.

This. But, she has promised that she would stop getting dogs in the past, but many have come and gone since.

I kept her as a "friend" hoping for the best, but it's worse than I thought, and I don't think she even sees it as a problem. That is the part that frightens me most.

Barbara!

What exactly is wrong with rescuing dogs and then rehoming them? Seriously. I have rescued many dogs.. probably about a dozen that I meant to keep in my home permanently, but they ended up not being a good fit or what I wanted. I don't see an issue with finding a dog a better home if a dog does not fit with you. (The Fila puppy stuff aside.)

My head hurts.
Thank you, Fran.

My heart hurts for Bullseye, going through that, but also for Teal. There has to be some sort of painful disconnect to allow that to happen, and the stories to cover it show that at some point, she realized he was in bad shape, so she wasn't completely unaware, at least not once it got bad enough to see. She had to realize it was wrong, too, or why would she have started the thread in the first place?

A little truth would have gone a long way. Like Eddie and Puck have both said in the past, when you find you're digging yourself into a hole, stop digging.

I do hope she finds some help.

Lyzelle

What exactly is wrong with rescuing dogs and then rehoming them? Seriously. I have rescued many dogs.. probably about a dozen that I meant to keep in my home permanently, but they ended up not being a good fit or what I wanted. I don't see an issue with finding a dog a better home if a dog does not fit with you. (The Fila puppy stuff aside.)
The problem comes in when she says those dogs are her pack, HER dogs (not fosters or wait and see's), and when she lies about where those dogs went. No breeder is going to WANT to send a pup to her, if they know she's just going to get rid of it in a few weeks.

And then the Fila pup on top of all of it.

She may not have MEANT to do all of this, but I DO think she DID. Maybe she has mental issues. That's not all that uncommon in instances like these.

StillandSilent

I'll be brutally honest here. Three weeks after I adopted Gambit, he was that emaciated. I provided food. I offered raw, I offered quality kibble. I offered the crap he had been eating. I cooked for him. I went out and bought him hamburgers and chicken nuggets from every fast food joint in a 15mile radius. I put it under the bed, so he could eat after I went to sleep. I fed him at the same time I fed Argon, so he would see someone else eating. I fed him and left the apartment, so he could eat without me present. The poor guy starved himself through stress.

So, yes, it can happen. But you have to do something. I begged Chaz for help. He went to the vet 3 times. Had there been a breeder to contact, I would have been pounding down their door.

The issue in my mind isn't that it happened, because it can happen to caring, loving, dog owners. I would have moved heaven and earth for Gambit to get him to eat anything. But to see it happening and just let it go is wrong.

ACooper

......... But to see it happening and just let it go is wrong.
Yes, and to DENY it happened, and even COVER UP it happened is even more wrong than letting it go on or not knowing what to do.

I think that is one of the main issues. The dishonesty. I think we ALL want to believe Teal never ever meant to cause that puppy harm. I know that's what I want to believe.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
To be fair, Josefina wasnt 'a good fit' when she was younger, but i stuck it out because a puppy's personality isnt what it will be as an adult... Izze was a super wimpy/clingy puppy & sounds a lot like this Fila boy, but she grew out of it & became the best dog i ever owned... she should've given the puppy a chance, she prolly missed out on having a good companion for life.... oh well.... her loss for not being patient :/

Shakou

i mean a friend is a friend but if they are not treating their dogs well even if they hate one dog... i have never hated a dog but i have not 'meshed' with a few, one of them is my folks dobie mix, who i care for, but NEVER would i not feed her or not care for her just because our temperments dont mesh, if i feel myself getting frustrated, i turn right around & go in the house, come online or watch TV & chill for a few.
Yeah, pretty much this. Even if I clash or dislike a dog for whatever reason, if it's in my care, I'm still going to care for it as I would my others.

Members online

No members online now.