Rec bones for a smallish puppy

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Auggie was three when he got his first raw, and I let him chomp meat off a knuckle bone. Since then I've switched to mostly pork hocks and sometimes letting him chew meat off and lick the marrow out of thin sliced soup bones.
What would you give to a smallish puppy? Say... sheltie puppy sized? Would a pork hock be okay?

I'm still not 100% comfortable with feeding edible bones - Auggie hasn't had any chicken necks or anything like that yet. He has been chomping on a lamb shank and broken off small pieces of the bone on that to eat, but I think that might be too hard for puppy teeth to break. Also the lamb shank would be approximately the size of a sheltie puppy. =P

Any ideas?

Grab

Well Grimmy (who is around 15 lbsish at a year old) started getting ribs (lamb, beef and pork) when he was a small fry. Marrow bones were too big at the time for him to get his mouth around, but he does fine with them now. We did let him have his way with a lamb shank as well, but the dogs kind of share those.

Ginger, who is 10 lbs, has the best luck with lamb ribs (though she'll eat the meat off the others) as well as thin sliced soup bones.

Bailey08

Bailey isn't as small as the dog you're talking about, but I really liked duck necks for the transition to RMBs. Pork necks and ribs scared me a bit. (He can't have chicken.)

ETA: I just reread and realized that you were looking specifically for recreational bones. I was actually more comfortable with bones he can safely chew than those that may be too hard.

Maxy24

I am not personally comfortable with recreational bones. I would suggest edible bones, they are not likely to break teeth like rec bones sometimes will. I don't know how big a sheltie puppy is but phoebe is about 18 pounds and she did well with a turkey neck.

Members online

No members online now.